Jabs - Mayan Treasures / Pride of Panama

I have just been looking at Wikitravel for all the countries we will be going to and scrolling down to the "Stay healthy" bit, and it is full of precautionary jabs we will need.

I know these have been discussed before, but what is worrying is that different people in different areas seem to be told different things from their doctors/nurses about what is required.

I am thinking that each surgery gets brownie points or extra funding depending on what they do in this line of medication, and different areas must prioritise things differently or there would not be such a variation in what we get told.

Surgeries should all be singing from the same hymn sheet as to what is required for us to be safe healthwise in these countries. It shouldn't matter what part of the UK we are from, we are all wanting to be safe.

Scary or what. I am starting to lose count of the required jabs.

I have just been looking at Wikitravel for all the countries we will be going to and scrolling down to the "Stay healthy" bit, and it is full of precautionary jabs we will need.

I know these have been discussed before, but what is worrying is that different people in different areas seem to be told different things from their doctors/nurses about what is required.

I am thinking that each surgery gets brownie points or extra funding depending on what they do in this line of medication, and different areas must prioritise things differently or there would not be such a variation in what we get told.

Surgeries should all be singing from the same hymn sheet as to what is required for us to be safe healthwise in these countries. It shouldn't matter what part of the UK we are from, we are all wanting to be safe.

Scary or what. I am starting to lose count of the required jabs.

Our surgery nurse told us it can vary depending on what time of year you travel. Sounds a great itinerary. Enjoy!!

Maggie

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our surgery stopped giving jabs a couple of years ago, even those which are free under NHS. We have to contact a well-known High Street store that has a pharmacy attached to it (S-------g) and make an appointment to see the nurse who only carries out this service once a week to a large city and surrounding area dealing with goodness knows how many surgery patients. She will tell us what we require, give us the necessary jabs and take our money. We fill in a form and take it with us stating where we are going but they do not ask who we are registered with so how does our surgery know what has been pumped into us.:eek:

Having looked up http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx I feel that there is so much to worry about on this cruise.

It is the malaria one that is bad if every time you go ashore you need to wear long sleeves and trousers to keep mozzies out. Having just had bad bites on my leg from gardening which has left my leg swollen up and had me in tears trying to walk round the house, the thought of having this on holiday really scares me.

Hubby says remember what the doctor told me once, never look up health matters on the internet as it is designed to scare folks witless. Maybe he is right and I should forget it all now until 8 weeks before we go and just see my doctor then with a list of the countries we are going to, and take what jabs and advice he gives us.

• 3 weeks later...

Big discussion on FB about the Yellow Fever certificate that is needed for re-entry into Jamaica when you get back from Pride of Panama as they won't let you in without it if you have been to Colombia or Panama, even in transit on a cruise ship. No-one on Dream till 23 December going from Jamaica, and no-one getting definite information on jabs, apart from side effects being bad for the over 60's.

There will be a ship load of passengers needing the same information from somebody in authority on what is required. Going to the Boots walk in centre to see what their view is.

yes...i remember this topic being discussed before a few years ago when dream went to panama, jamaica, columbia.....

I cant remember the outcome:confused:

i am sure that if someone was unable to immigrate into any of the ports of call on that cruise because they did not have the necessary health requirement then.... we would have heard about it on here?

i dont remember hearing anymore about it??

i will add that we have been on that same panama itinerary, we didnt have the jab (we were advised against it and told to cover up and use deet) we had no problems at all disembarking/embarking the ship

we are not visiting those ports on our itinerary this time so i am guessing we wont be needing them this time either? (will check with travel nurse as we usually do)

thomsons dont seem to be publishing very much information about the immigration issue?

Boots chemist do jabs, and I went to see them today. Jamaica require the certificate for yellow fever jabs, and they advise Hep A & B jabs plus Malaria tablets. If you will be near bats you need rabies jab too.

Her advice is to see your own doctor as some jabs are free on NHS. You need to think about them at least 8 weeks prior departure as some are a course of treatment. Boots will book you in for a consultation. There are charges, and yellow fever is £58. Side effects can last for around 10 days.

Edited by gillhalfpint

thomsons dont seem to be publishing very much information about the immigration issue?

Usual customer service from T.

"10. Fitness to Travel – Health and Safety

10.1. The Passenger is responsible for checking with government authorities in all countries on the Vessel’s itinerary in order to determine any vaccination requirements, required health certificates or visas, and health and safety warnings applicable to ports. The Carrier assumes no responsibility for informing Passengers of these matters."

What happens if a ship full of people are refused re-entry say into Jamaica?

We were looking at cruises like this for 2016 with Thomson but will have second thoughts.

Also, cruises doing a Panama Canal transit from USA to USA do passengers need yellow fever certificates?

This is confusing

What's confusing?? All 1,000 plus passengers on each week's cruise have to e-mail every country consulate for the relevant information as to what jabs and certificates they need for their particular itinerary.

Well done Thomson. That is a brilliant get out clause.

Just what would happen if any passenger has failed to do this so hasn't got the relevant jabs etc. We can't count on apathy by the authorities at time of transit and have to presume these things will be checked.

Have you had a look at the NHS Choices website? It gives a list of countries that have yellow fever. Both Colombia and Panama (as has already been stated on here) are mentioned. It also provides the centres nearest to your postcodes for the vaccine. In our case there would be a choice of two within three or four miles. The website doesn't give any information about re-entry to Jamaica. However, if it was me, I wouldn't be taking any chances.

Whenever we are not sure about jabs, we always see our Practice Nurse, who is brilliant and is able to get up to date recommended information.

We aren't on that cruise by the way, I just have a thing about health matters.

I am thinking of sending this as an e-mail to my travel agent and asking if I really have to send it to every government authority on the itinerary, but first I need to know where you get the Thomson's info from as I can't find it, and need to know before I use it. I am worried about our cruise now and was looking forward to it so much.

"I am booked on Thomson’s Mayan Treasures/Pride of Panama cruise Leaving Montego Bay Jamaica 20.1.15 and flying back from Montego Bay Jamaica on 3.2.15.

The cruise ship itinerary is Montego Bay Jamaica, sea day, Roatan Honduras, Belize City Belize, Costa Maya Mexico, Cozumel Mexico, sea day, Montego Bay Jamaica, sea day, Puerto Limon Costa Rica, Colon Panama, San Blas Panama, Cartagena Colombia, sea, Montego Bay Jamaica.

Regarding health, the cruise company conditions state:

10. Fitness to Travel – Health and Safety

10.1. The Passenger is responsible for checking with government authorities in all countries on the Vessel’s itinerary in order to determine any vaccination requirements, required health certificates or visas, and health and safety warnings applicable to ports. The Carrier assumes no responsibility for informing Passengers of these matters."

I should be grateful if you would therefore advise me of the entry and exit requirements."

Have a look at http://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/jamaica

You will find a list of all the countries requiring Yellow Fever vaccination certificates and a list of all the countries with a risk of Yellow Fever transmission.

Thomson should make this information clear to all passengers who enquire about this cruise.

How many people read the small print ?

People who book online may not be aware of the requirements and late bookers may not have sufficient time to get the required vaccinations.

Vaccinations are best carried out at least eight weeks before departure as some have side effects.

I have had many vaccinations over the years. The worst one being cholera. Really knocked me for six. Haven't had yellow fever jab though so can't comment on side effects or risks.

Thanks. I have looked on various sites now, and my head keeps spinning. Yellow fever seems a must, hep A and hep B recommended along with typhoid and a course of malaria tablets. Think I can pass on typhoid and rabies and the dengue fever one.(I hope).

Going to see doc next week so I can spread anything that needs doing over the weeks to the cruise so that after effects won't clash with each other.

Thanks. I have looked on various sites now, and my head keeps spinning. Yellow fever seems a must, hep A and hep B recommended along with typhoid and a course of malaria tablets. Think I can pass on typhoid and rabies and the dengue fever one.(I hope).

Going to see doc next week so I can spread anything that needs doing over the weeks to the cruise so that after effects won't clash with each other.

I didn't think there was a vaccine for dengue fever. Please don't miss out on the one for typhoid if it is recommended. They don't use live vaccine now. They did when I had it for the first time (35 years ago). I was ill for a week with flu like symptoms and had stabbing pains from elbow to shoulder every step I took.

It will all be worth it for the fabulous cruise you are going on.

We may be weird, but we have never had any vaccinations for holidays at all :eek:

We have not been anywhere very exotic, but after visiting Jamaica (on a cruise) I was not allowed to donate blood for six months as they said it is a Malaria area :eek: I didn't know this as I thought the advice from Thomson said "no vaccinations necessary" I didn't realise they were abdicating responsibility!!

I suppose they think that if they recommend jabs and someone has a reaction to it, they will be sued :rolleyes:

Did I read somewhere that Yellow Fever Jabs are not recommended for over 60s?

We may be weird, but we have never had any vaccinations for holidays at all :eek:

Did I read somewhere that Yellow Fever Jabs are not recommended for over 60s?

I thought it was put that everyone had to have the jab and certificate, but over 60's could have adverse side effects from the jab itself for yellow fever. We will see what the Dr says next week.

I have also e-mailed the address http://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/jamaica that nancyneptune gave me listing the itinerary, and listing all the things that have been getting mentioned and asked what is required for entry and exit. Reply expected within 10 days.

Maybe I am daft worrying, but that is me. I want to be safe, but I don't want to be ill from after effects either.

I thought it was put that everyone had to have the jab and certificate, but over 60's could have adverse side effects from the jab itself for yellow fever. We will see what the Dr says next week.

You may be right Gill, I can't remember where I read it now.

Maybe I am daft worrying, but that is me. I want to be safe, but I don't want to be ill from after effects either.

No not daft, we are proably the daft ones :rolleyes: just not a fan of unnecessary jabs!

Well done Gill. I think you are spot on in trying to get an acceptable answer to what the Jamaican authorities require. Personally I would rather go on holiday with no lingering doubts as to what may happen on such a matter.

Len

deciding to have the yellow fever vaccine is not something to be taken lightly imo.....people could be risking their health for something that could turn out to be unnecessary?

when we went on this itinerary we had almost decided that we would have the jab anyway (better to be safe than sorry)

but

after visiting the travel nurse and being told of the side/health effects we decided to not put the children thru it? it is a risky vaccine for children/over 60's and people with health conditions, the travel nurse was very resistant to giving it to the children?

that spooked us a little!

we decided we would rather risk not being allowed to disembark in some ports (risk our holiday) than risk our children’s health from a potent vaccine that in the event turned out to be completely unnecessary

in the event we didnt have any problems with immigration at all?

(putting aside the immigration issue for a moment) from a health point of view we were given advice on covering up and using deet there is no effective vaccination/protection at all against dengue fever other than anti mosquito measures so you have to cover up anyway regardless of having the yellow fever vaccine/anti malaria course

we were told that the risk from mosquitoes was very minimal on board a cruise ship as it is sailing at night when mosquitoes are most active

so we took a chance (on the holiday...not on our childrens health)

I would rather not have yellow fever jab, but if we didn't and it comes to the day we fly home, what would happen if they asked for certificates we did not have, to us and/or the ship?

More to the point, who is going to tell us? Going to surgery today for their advice, and still waiting for email reply.

Edited by gillhalfpint

The superdrug yellow fever site is brilliant, and gives all the info you need with links to the other jabs too. Will make a decision after I see doc today and get the reply back from the authorities as to entry and exit requirements. All the things that have been discussed would cost over £400 with Superdrug, but doc may do some on the NHS. Will likely find out today.

Scared of after effects but feel a bit better about it after reading Superdrug info, but more scared of what will happen if you haven't had something required by any of the countries as I can't see Thomson doing anything for you in those circumstances as it is down to the passenger to get what is needed. Are you left high and dry somewhere?

I am not a medic....your health care professional will advise what is best for you

i researched this issue in depth a few years ago, we were worried as we were considering taking the children to the caribbean and didnt want to fill them up with a raft of inoculations

hepatitis a is spread by drinking contaminated water....dont drink out of rivers

hepatitis b is spread by exposure to body fluids....dont...??

typhus is spread by fleas and lice...not very likely on a cruise ship

none of the above are great risks while on a cruise ship ...if you are backpacking in jungle/swamp for a few weeks then yes....you might be at an increased risk

most of these illness are linked to poverty and poor housing conditions

malaria/yellow fever/dengue fever is spread by mosquitoes (who have been recently feeding on infected primates)....usually urban and coastal areas of countries said to be infected with yellow fever/malaria are free of insect borne diseases in cities away from rural areas

the whole of the panama canal zone is free of yellow fever

the risk of acquiring a tropical disease on a cruise ship is extremely low....mosquitoes are mainly active at night, when the ship is at sea....mosquitoes cant fly very far, yes they could be breeding on the ship but it is very unlikely that will find a disesed host before they find you

there is no vaccination/course of medication that will prevent dengue fever the only protection against this tropical disease is insect repellent

anti malaria medications can cause increased sun sensitivity and can cause side effects especially if combined with other medications that you may be taking....no anti malaria tablet is 100% effective

the best protection from insect borne tropical diseases while on a cruise ship is deet and covering up especially at night

most medical problems on a cruise are a result of trips & falls

your health care professional will know what is best for you

Edited by geomagot

Are you left high and dry somewhere?

i have never heard of anyone being left high & dry gill....i'm sure if it had of ever happened we would have heard about it on here

people have been regularly travelling to this part of the world (on fred and others)

most people who have travelled to this area on a cruise ship are saying that they either: hadnt had any jabs and didnt have any immigration problems or had the jabs but were never asked about their vaccination status

Edited by geomagot