Crazy to cruise during Christmas vacation?

Twinsplus1

We are a group of two families with 4 kids (3 12 yr olds and a 4 yr old) and we are thinking about doing a cruise during holiday break. We are not set on what line, what ship, or even where to leave from. We are in New England so whatever we decide we will have to fly to anyway.

Is it crazy to even attempt it? Any good tips/advice on booking?

We cruised last year during Christmas from SanDiego to Fort Lauderdale, VIA the Panama Canal. We thought it was great, but can't find similar dates this year. We enjoy the extra Christmas decor on the ships during the holidays, and nearly any cruise venue will be warmer weather than New England at Christmas.:)

I would rather be in New England for Christmas myself, with snow.:)

But if you do decide to go, remember, there will be a lot of people traveling and the ever present threat of poor weather. Get to your port a few days ahead of time just to make sure, and pack some patience.

Yeah, we want to be here in New England for actual Christmas morning. Nothing beats a new england christmas!

Is it really that hectic? Is also a LOT more expensive isn't it? And are there any cruises that leave on Mondays, because Christmas is on a Sunday this year.

The great thing about this holiday season is that many schools (or at least our kids' schools) are out for a full week before Christmas. We're doing a 5-night cruise that leaves on Sunday the 18th and returns Friday the 23rd. We're home before Christmas Eve! We could also have booked a 7-nighter that would have gotten us back to port on Christmas Eve.

My hubby has been wanting to go on a winter holiday cruise for a couple of years (we were on the Star Princess for Valentines Day and a Carnival one for Easter weekend). This year we're going to be on the Christmas/Hanukah/News Years Hawaii cruise. I was thinking of having my daughter make a paper menorah (with velcro) so we can "light" the candles.

We are going on a two-week Christmas/New Years cruise with out kids (ages 6 and 4). Some people think it's nuts but I think it'll be a fun and unique way to celebrate the holidays as a family. There are cruises that leave after Christmas and come back after New Years. Good luck!!!

Put a duplicate post on the Carnival board but will put it here as well since you posted the question on both boards.

We are going on the Conquest that leaves out of NOLA on 12/18. Family of four w/children age 2 & 9 along with some other extended family. Thought about it and looked long and hard before deciding to go and choosing the Conquest. Choose Carnival primarily due to the wide range of ages and individual preferences of those in our group, Camp Carnival seemed to offer the most services for those under three and I think we got a pretty decent price for this time of year. Looked at cruising both Thanksgiving week or Christmas through New Years and both seemed more expensive. Plus we will still have about a week post cruise until everybody needs get back to their normal routines and school on 01/03 and really didn't want to travel back on on Jan 01 or 02. On the downside we will be disembarking in NOLA on Christmas Day. This will be the first time we have spent Christmas away from "home" or family. On the upside as KenBenz said there will be no standing in line at any stores at 5 a.m. trying to snag the latest, greatest or cheapest. No meals to coordinate and this time we get to skip all the holiday drama that friends, family and neighbors usually throw into the mix. This year my 9 yr old will get to swim with dolphins as opposed to adding more stuff to all the stuff that she already has lying all over the house. We will have one or two gifts for the kids to open on Christmas day at the hotel. Folks on these boards have been overwhelmingly helpful with hotel, cruise and even Christmas dinner plans.

Sorry to be so long - if you decide to go check out our group and think about joining us!!!

Seahawk- Oops! It was supposed to say "with our kids." Holy cow! I could never leave them on Christmas!!! Anyway, typing too fast and not editing what I wrote. Sorry about that...hope you all didn't think I'm some sort of horrible mother. They are coming with us. I've never even been a day without them their whole life...couldn't imagine leaving them for two weeks.

Family of 4 here doing the xmas cruise 7 nights leaving the 24th from miami carnival triumph . First timers for a cruise and away from home on the holiday . ...yup I call myself crazy for doing this. But all the kids are excited about it.

prices you will find are expensive for that week.. probably up to double .....

if you dont mind paying the premium for the holiday week go for it...

air fare ... shop around you might find a better deals.....

You could never go wrong taking a family cruise at Christmas time. Take a look at some of my pics from our Zaandam cruise last Christmas. There is nothing to beat our Christmas Eve day we spent sailing and snorkeling in Barbados. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day our family sat down to two wonderful dinners together where NO ONE had to cook and there was not a SINGLE dish which had to be washed. Now THAT is the way to REALLY enjoy a holday !!! :D

I would not wait too much longer to make your decision. Many ships are already close to sold out. We are sailing Celebrity this year because we could not get a balcony cabin or suite on either of the Princess cruises we were looking at :(

Ditto to everything that has been said about cruising at Christmas. We will be doing our 2nd Christmas cruise this year on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas out on Galveston,Tx. It is a special 10 day, so we will be there for Christmas ands New Years. She is a wonderful ship, can't wait!

She, along with others, are close to being sold out and remeber the prices are going to be alot higher. But, it something special and your children will not soon forget.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a 5 day cruise leaves Ft. Lauderdale Dec 17 Sat returns Dec 23 -

this is our first Christmas with no Grandparents so we are trying this...but dd 17 yo has always sung at Christmas eve mass so wants to be back by Dec 23...and the price is half what trips the next week are! the RCI website has a really nice week finder section so you can match up kids' breaks and the ships' dates

I am doing the Christmas/New Year cruise on NCL Crown around the Horn this year. I have always wanted to go to South America and being by myself, going over the Christmas/New Year period seemed a great idea. Its more expensive but well worth it, I am away for 21 days in total - 2 nights pre-cruise in the Sheraton, Santiago, then 14 nights aboard ship and 2 nights post-cruise at the Sheraton in Buenos Aires. My flights are overnight, 3 planes/two airlines each way. I have already booked, and had confirmed, my shore excursions so I'm all ready to go...and counting the days :)

I have holidayed at Christmas before, in Austria, and loved the atmosphere so decided to give a ship a try.

Cruisin Chick, were you originally booked on the Thanks Giving RT San Diego Hawaii cruise? I thought you had said that you would be on that one with us.

Anyway, When I was 13.(25 years ago) I went on my first Christmas Cruise, on the old Stattendam. It was great fun. Lots of families with teens and every body in a good mood. They did a lot to keep the holidays in mind. They even had a "crew" holiday show with the Dutch singing some of their traditional carols, The Filipino's singing their carols, and even a few of the Indonesians also singing carols. I think Hanuka had come early that year because I don't remember them doing anything special for Hanuka, but I'm sure they would have done something.

Now that cruising has become so popular, I'm not sure how things would have changed. I've heard not to go on Carnival during the holidays because even if you have kids it can be too crowded with kids. But I have never done a Carnival or a Christmas cruise with my own kids, so that comment is just hearsay. Celebrity may or may not have the same problems, but since I've heard such good things about thier program I think it would be fine.

You'll have to tell us about the experince when you get back. I'll be sure to post some comments about my Thanks Giving cruise when I get back the first week of December.

Archived