Help booking a Southern Caribbean Cruise

Looking at cruises for my grandparents anniversary and WOW they seem to be expensive for cruises out of San Juan for late January/ early Feb of 2015. It is their first cruise and they want a balcony. I need all the help I can get. Is 1600ish pp too much for a 7night balcony?

Thanks in advance!

That's more than I'd be willing to pay. Just curious, why does it have to be Southern Caribbean? Somewhere they've always wanted to visit? There are less expensive cruises from the Mainland. I see you are from KY, are your grandparents, as well?

Air fares are high. Look for something leaving from the us. Book a senior in both rooms to get the discount. Anybody can sleep in either room, get them connecting. Also look for a sale and state discounts. Good luck..................................RADICAL

I see balcony cabins in January in the $700 range pp on the Jewel of the Seas, Celebrity Summit and Carnival Valor - all out of San Juan.

Is the $1600. price you are seeing include airfare? Even so, that seems high to me!

January is normally one of the lowest priced months so I would keep checking prices using the large travel sites.

Yes 1600 pp is high. Rates right now are absurd. We've sailed out of San Juan the past five years in Jan and March and paid less than 3000 each time for three people in a balcony. We have Adventure booked for March 2016 from SJU, 2,650 for three in a balcony. I checked it yesterday and it's 4,000..........:(

Rates will fluctuate and sooner or later you should find something more reasonable. If the post above is correct, Jewel is a great ship we sailed on it last March.

As for the comments above about other cruises, the usual cruisecritic responses telling someone to do something entirely different than what they're looking at:rolleyes: The southern Caribbean is a GREAT trip, don't give up yet. SJU cruises normally run LESS than those from Florida. Air to SJU can run more, but if you shop around sooner or later decent airfare can be found. Air to Florida for next winter is running very high right now.

Edited by bouhunter

Is a 7 night cruise from Florida to Eastern Caribbean out of the question?

It would be relaxing?

It is not out of the question, but this will be their first cruise and they don't know if they will get another chance to cruise again. They are in their 70s and you never know what can happen with health. So they really want to see a lot and the southern is a really port intensive cruise.

Well, the OP hasn't come back. Maybe the grandparents live in San Juan? I guess until we get more information, there is not much we can do to help.

Sorry, my alerts have not been sending to the email. I thought I wasn't getting hits. They do not live in San Juan but for some reason my grandfather really wants to leave out of Puerto Rico. He is getting older and wants to see as much as he can and feels like cruises out of San Juan offer the most.

Sorry, my alerts have not been sending to the email. I thought I wasn't getting hits. They do not live in San Juan but for some reason my grandfather really wants to leave out of Puerto Rico. He is getting older and wants to see as much as he can and feels like cruises out of San Juan offer the most.

How definitive is your time frame? We paid a bit less than that for our May cruise out of SJ. It wasn't in full summer heat yet and the weather was great.

How definitive is your time frame? We paid a bit less than that for our May cruise out of SJ. It wasn't in full summer heat yet and the weather was great.

Unfortunately they would like it in late January or anytime in Feb. It is their 51st anniversary during that time and they do not want to wait much longer because of a new grandchild being on the way around March.

Looking at cruises for my grandparents anniversary and WOW they seem to be expensive for cruises out of San Juan for late January/ early Feb of 2015. It is their first cruise and they want a balcony. I need all the help I can get. Is 1600ish pp too much for a 7night balcony

I'm not sure when you checked prices but I was just looking and they have cruises on the Jewell end of Jan balcony starting at $762 if you want to go with an inside starting at 462! We just did this cruise in April and have it booked again next April and loved it! (we are in our late 40's.) We had booked an inside and after final payment called and got upgraded to an oceanview prices dropped again I called and got a balcony for $32 Personally we didn't really use the balcony (went out to watch a couple of times but I wouldn't pay $300pp on one!) though some people won't cruise without a balcony.

I guess see what is most important are you cruising for the ship or are you going to be busy with the ports?