WHICH MONTH TO CRUISE ALASKA

loulani

I've heard that anytime between July 15 and early September is the best time. I suppose whenever you can go, as long as you go is the best time! It's a magnificent cruise!

[i]Marcie[/i]

[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jan/2004166967450561983036.jpg[/img]

By going in late August, we saw lots of salmon spawning, and therefore more bears and eagles feeding than we had expected. We also saw whales bubble-feeding and the Northern Lights, too, but I don't think that's necessarily a function of the time of year.

Next time, I'd like to go much earlier in the season: we definitely noticed how short the days were.

In terms of weather it is very difficult to predict. We did Alaska twice last year or so. Once in August and had rain, high winds, etc. for most of the week. We then did it again in late April/early May and had beautiful sunshine every day and were in shorts.

Gary

We were in Alaska at the beginning of June and saw a lot of wildlife. The weather was perfect - a bit of rain, not too cold, mostly sunny days. Also our days were super long. My in-laws were in Alaska that same year in the beginning of September and saw the salmon run and a million bears. The weather when they went was not as nice as ours.

I think anytime anyone gets to go to Alaska and have a wonderful cruise experience is the right time.

Eva

NY Waterways 9/16 My first
Seabourn experience

Chocolate Cruise RSSC Voyager 12/6

We went the first two weeks of July just before the start of the salmon run. Saw very few bears. From what we were told, the last of July would have been preferrable to watch the bears in action and the days would still have been long.

We left Vancouver last year on August 3 and had nary a drop of rain. We were very fortunate and that weather is rare, but we were happy and it was a wonderful trip. Lots of spawning salmon and although our Capt Larry boat was not allowed to get too close, we did see the whales. It was a lovely trip - enjoy yours!
Barbara

we too did alaska first week of August ... the weather was amazing ... no rain, spent a fair amount of time sunning ourselves on our balcony, and we just wore fleece jackets on the sunny, sunny glacier! the best part about going when we did (besides the weather) was definitely the arrival of the salmon, which brings out the bears and the eagles. we also saw tons of whales and sea otters. have a great time ... it's a beautiful trip.

terri

Terri
Days til Diamond 7/5, rome to monte carlo!
<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=7>
<param name="day" value=5>
<param name="hour" value=6>
</applet>

I went the first week in September and almost froze to death too. I'd recommend July or the beginning of August.

If you get a week of sunshine, you're very lucky. Much of the Alaskan coastal towns get a lot of rain. Tom.

We cruised Alaska in June on the advice of others on this board that this would be the least rainy time. Indeed, we had only part of one day rained out. Otherwise, the weather was perfect, and not cold at all. Just refreshingly brisk. We used the balcony far more on this cruise than any of the seven other Radisson cruises we've taken in the past 2+ years. Alaska was beautiful in June.

Hope this helps,
Richard [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Loulani, are you really confused now? There is always this debate from year to year about Alaska, and it seems there is no month that will guarantee you all sunshine and no rain. I have been there in August and rain interrupted my Juneau glacier landing. I have also been in there in June and weather was nice but chilly. Just go, and take whatever weather you get, because it cannot be predicted.

Hi Loulani,

Alaska is an adventure, different than going to a tropical port where you might expect mostly the typical warm weather forcast. The weather in Alaska can change quickly, but that is what makes it interesting.......well, at least to me....I can enjoy the cool or even cold weather for a while.

We have been there in mid to late June and we had mostly great weather. However, as I said, it can change quickly....we were in Glacier Bay and I was outside in a short sleeve shirt for hours watching the glaciers ...some people at that time were even in the pool, and it was a beautiful and very clear day....the National Park Rangers on board at the time told us that the day before, they were on another ship in the same area and you couldn't see the shoreline 200 feet away for the clouds and fog. We lucked out...

So for what it is worth....my guess for you would be late June to mid-August if you are looking for the best odds of "decent" weather....

Just go.....Good or bad weather, Alaska is a stunning destination.

I hope you have a great time. If you have any questions about shore excursions let me know.

Dwight
So. Calif.

Archived