Sell me on Solo Sailing

Elsisi

I am a cruise newbie, have been to many All Inclusives with DH and sister before and as my name suggests, my sister and I went on our first cruise together (for each of us) last year on Glory.

This past spring I was given the opportunity to go on a Celebrity cruise by myself and I was apprehensive but let me tell you..... I HAD A BLAST. I am in my late 30's and consider myself to be pretty comfortable in my own skin and can enjoy a meal by myself at a restaurant or go to a movie by myself.

The cruise was an amazing experience. I did whatever the heck I pleased, whenever I pleased. Get out of bed and go for breakfast on my own schedule, stay shopping in port as long as I want, ect. I met 2 older ladies in the theatre on my 2nd night and we made plans for the next night to meet at the next show and so on.

Go and enjoy yourself. Strike up a conversation with the person you sit next to. Most are absolutely intrigued that you are by yourself. I am sure lots dream of being able to leave the spouse and children at home, be there hero ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Elsisi. If you would like to read cruising single then look up Gambee. He usually travels alone or with his mom. He has great reviews. Start by checking out his latest review on canival breeze. Good luck Gary:D

They are great about putting you at a table with other solos or mixed groups of people. I did my first solo last year. I had a couple of "lonely" moments but the non-lonely times outweighed it. Met some great folks at my table and in the lounges. Sometimes you just have to get away from it all.

Are you willing to try another cruise line? I cruised solo earlier this year in one if NCL's studio cabins and had a great time. They have a lounge specifically for solo travellers and staff from the ship help organize group meals and events. There were white boards where you could post what excursions you wanted to do, to connect with others doing the same ones ahead of time. Really great experience, and I made some friends. My bf and I are cruising with some of them in Sept, then I'm going with them again in February. I wish more ships had solo/studio cabins for solo travellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on 9 cruises, and 2 have been solo. I usually travel with my mother or other family members, but my mother has become physically disabled in the past few years and it would be difficult for her to travel.

My first solo cruise, I was worried about travelling alone. I am an introvert, but not shy, so I was able to meet people easily. I purchased excursions through the ship, and had an assigned dinner with other singles.

My second solo cruise was 6 months ago, and it was SO relaxing! I took my tablet and read while I was on deck, went to scheduled events (trivia, shows, etc.) that others I travel with would not be interested in, and was able to schedule the excursions that I wanted to! It was great to have the cabin to myself! I met several other solo travelers on my roll call, and one girl and I hit it off so we went to the dining room and asked to be seated together for dinner. This way, we both made sure we had someone to check on us if we disappeared suddenly, but were not tied to someone else's whims.

I would not hesitate to book another solo cruise! I just need to find a more reliable "mother sitter" while I am gone! Book it, and have fun!!!

There are lots of questions and comments about cruising solo (not single) on the special interests board. Might want to check it out.

Seems there is a big difference in cruising solo based on gender. Women seem naturally concerned for safety and comfort, while guys don't worry about those issues as much. A solo guy dining alone does not elicit the responses a solo female diner may get. However, I've been the solo male at several large MDR late dining tables, and am none the worse for that experience.

NCL probably treats solos best on their newer ships, while Carnival does a good job of putting solos together for dining. I've probably cruised solo maybe 2/3 of my cruises, and enjoyed each one. In fact, I'm just back from 8 nights in Playacar, as I alternate between cruising and land vacays.

Look for Carnival cruises that have no solo supplement, they are good bargains. Otherwise, experience other cruiselines and see what they offer. A solo experience on Princess or Celebrity may be more suited to a solo female than Carnival, and may be priced under Carnival's 200% solo supplement.