Tumbler?

Hornnumb2

First time cruiser, should I bring a cup of some kind with me? How does soft drinks and stuff work? Thanks

If you order a soft drink (or any other drink) it comes in a glass. If you want to get something from the drink station (included drinks), there are glasses there.

I don't bring a tumbler. Mom and Sis do.

For me, it's just one more thing to keep track of.

In the buffet there are juices (breakfast), water, Lemonade, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. You can buy soda, juices and liquor at any bar.

Packages are available- Soda, wine and liquor.

You can bring some wine (1 bottle) and 12 20oz bottles of soda or water in your carry on when boarding. More soda and water can be brought onboard at any port.

ETA--- If you do bring your own tumbler, fill it from a ship's cup. Do not just stick it under the dispenser.

Edited by SadieN

A lot of people do. But you don't need to unless you want to have a larger drink than the cups provided on the Lido.

There are drink stations on the Lido deck with Tea, lemonade, Coffee, Water, and various juices in the morning. The cups are somewhat small.

Soft drinks (sodas) are sold by the can or you can buy an "all you can drink" card. With either way of purchasing you will get a small glass of ice. With the prepurchased you don't get the can, just the glassful.

If you order a soft drink (or any other drink) it comes in a glass. If you want to get something from the drink station (included drinks), there are glasses there.

It seems like to me that they have gone to on most (if not all) ships they've gone to those squatty little half-size cups at the drink stations that hold like..next to nothing. I'd bring a lidded tumbler from home, OP.

I usually take a tumbler so I can take it back to the room and not have to make several trips back.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

I bring a tumbler because, 1. the lido cups are small and 2. I like to take it with me and my tumbler has a lid and it holds more. Especially that guava passion fruit juice that you can only get in the morning. Gotta stock up!

I don't remember them having the squatty little cups last summer. When we did our first cruise this summer, I thought maybe they'd been left over from breakfast or something in the process of getting the ship ready for new pax.

Nope.:( Every time we wanted something to drink I either had to bring 2-3 cups worth of drink for everybody or spend a lot of time running back and forth for refills. They need to bring back the bigger cups.

Tervis tumbler is great for keeping drinks cold (or hot) if you are a slow drinker :o

We purchased ours from the Red Frog rum bar, purchased our drink of choice, poured into the cup with lid and straw, then wandered through the ship to other places/bars/theatre without spills ;)

This cup will be going with me on all future cruises :D

We usually have to grab two cups each when getting drinks, so to alleviate this, I grab a tumbler or similar cup from the fun shops or one of the bars when I board. Its usually the only branded merchandise that I buy onboard, and although I have a few of them collecting dust that I don't use very often, I don't want to carry one/bring one with me from home.

I always take a sippy cup of some sort - lidded with a straw and insulated, usually from the dollar store. I use it to mix drinks in my room or to pour drinks into that I get elsewhere. I also like to take the juice from breakfast to the room - the tropical stuff. sooooo good!!!

I also take some sort of bottle I can fill with water to carry around as well.

I brought 18 oz insulated cups with screw top lids and straws for both DH and I. We used them throughout the day for water, juice, ice tea (we're not soda drinkers). I paid $1.99 for each -- we decided they were one of the best things we brought!

ETA--- If you do bring your own tumbler, fill it from a ship's cup. Do not just stick it under the dispenser.

This kind of defeats the point of bringing your own tumbler if you have to spend time standing there and refilling from the smaller cups over an over. Has anyone else heard this?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

This kind of defeats the point of bringing your own tumbler if you have to spend time standing there and refilling from the smaller cups over an over. Has anyone else heard this?

That sounds like a germophobe statement, not policy. I always refill straight into my cup.

That sounds like a germophobe statement, not policy. I always refill straight into my cup.

Okay I thought I was just me cause I refill straight into my cup as well! But since you have to press a button to dispense anyway there is no way to transfer germs from any cup in the first place except from fingers. Okay I'll stop hijacking the thread now. ..

I refill into my cup too. :eek: The reason I bring my cup is that their cups are so tiny, you take one drink and its empty. By using my tumbler, I get a bigger drink and not have to re-fill every 5 minutes. It has a cover so I can easily walk with out spilling it on myself or someone else. I don't bring my straw though. I just grab one from the bar. One less thing to wash.

On some cruise lines you cannot fill your cup directly from their dispenser. This is how it was explained to me- your lips (germs) are likely on the rim of your cup and if that touches the thing that dispenses the water, tea or coffee then you can spread germs. So it is a health issue.

I know you cannot do it on RCI. There is usually someone there who is watching and will stop you.

Not sure I think this is necessary but I'll follow the rules.

First time cruiser, should I bring a cup of some kind with me? How does soft drinks and stuff work? Thanks

Welcome to the Carnival board and congratulations on your first cruise!

If you are a soda drinker, you can purchase "Bottomless Bubbles" which might save you some money over buying sodas individually.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/fountain_funcard.htm

When they sell the package to you, they usually have insulated tumblers you can buy at the same time. You might also want to buy a Red Frog Rum or Blue Iguana Tequila Tervis tumbler from the Lido bars to use, and then keep them for souvenirs.

If you drink adult beverages, you might want to consider the Cheers package.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/My_Awesome_Bar_Program.pdf

Both packages can be purchased on the ship on embarkation day. Have a great cruise!

I bring a small thermal carafe with me. Does not take up much room, but I like to pop down to lido in the morning and bring back coffee or juice for sis and I. The cups are small and they slosh a lot on the way back. The 20 oz carafe is perfect for a couple of cups of coffee or glasses of juice.

Signs are on the drink stations.

for coffee, we brought a pkg of the paper coffee cups with covers. The coffee cups like the cold drink cups are very small. Again, you can walk around with your coffee and not spill on yourself or other and just throw it in the trash when you are done. then you have that space for souvenirs when you are ready to come home.:p