What to do with an afternoon in Anchorage

corky4man

I am looking for suggestions for things to do in Anchorage between our cruise transfer and our 8pm flight home.

Would you be willing to rent a car? What sort of experiences are you looking for? Hiking? Museum? Would you consider canceling the cruise transfer and doing one way car rental from your port and exploring on your way to Anchorage?

And with an 8pm flight, you'll want to be at the airport by 6pm.

Are you disembarking in Whittier or Seward? and how many people?

Car rentals are pricey because of the one-way surcharge, but it opens up some wonderful sightseeing opportunities. Whittier's the only vendor is AVIS, Seward is HERTZ

Other transfer options include Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Bus Lines, independent transfers.

Which option you choose will determine how much time you have available in Anchorage. If you have decent weather ... rent bikes and take the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. http://www.anchorage.net

I love and Anchorage and actually just flew there and spent the day there.

but I would suggest you're going to need a rental car.

there are quite a few animal parks around. a wild life conservatory and there's another wildlife park south of the town and then there's a reindeer farm and Palmer that was fantastic. you could research and see if any of those are of interest to you.

there are also lots of parks by the airport. we went to earthquake park and walked around the beach and you got to see the planes take off at a great view of the skyline of Anchorage and all of the mountains and water around.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Anchorage Museum is another possible option. Fascinating exhibits on native Alaskans, and right now, an exhibit on plastic gyres, with both art and science aspects to it. They also have a cute cafe, gift shop, and info on history of Anchorage. Have a nice dinner at Glacier Brewhouse or Simon & Seafort, both downtown but not very far from the airport.