Holland America Balcony Smoking Survey: Intermediate Results

POA1

One question I wished you had included is how many HAL cruisers still cruise with HAL but do not book the more expensive balcony cabins because of the smoke problem.

That's an excellent suggestion. Thank you. It would have required an branched survey. That's not a problem and is certainly well within the capabilities of the survey engine. Once you answered that you still cruise HAL - Question #3 on the survey with one of the responses that indicated you cruised on Holland America, you would be given an extra question or two about whether or not it affected your room choice.

I tried to keep the survey brief and on point so that people could get in and out with minimal fuss. You suggestion, as well as rafinmd's, are very good ones. But given the budget for the survey, ($0 + 16 oz unsweetened iced tea) there were limits to what we could do.

I also missed taking part in your survey.

You can still take the "Holland America Balcony Smoking Policy Attitudes Survey" until Friday at noon EDST (UTC - 4). I can't link to the survey from here, but you can use your favorite search engine to look for it.

Edited by POA1

Just a little extra factoid that happened to precipitate out of the balcony smoking survey: The average participant in the first wave of responses was 58 years, 155 days.

I need a table to explain the calculation and you cannot format one in a post to save your life. So, I explain the calculation here.

I was surprised by how young you all are! Also, you look great for your age. :D

Just a little extra factoid that happened to precipitate out of the balcony smoking survey: The average participant in the first wave of responses was 58 years, 155 days.

I need a table to explain the calculation and you cannot format one in a post to save your life. So, I explain the calculation here.

I was surprised by how young you all are! Also, you look great for your age. :D

Why, thank you kind sir.:o:D

I am not a smoker but my husband is and he is mobility challenged. Cruising would be extremely difficult for those heavy lifetime smokers who have been unable to quit and who are mobility challenged. Imagine someone in a wheelchair having to be pushed to a smoking location 20 times a day and what if that person also has severe chronic pain which would complicate the issue. I recognize this is not a survey question but one of education. Yes nonsmoker's have rights but courteous smokers who minimize impact would have little to no impact on their non smoking neighbor.

Edited by qsuzi

I am not a smoker but my husband is and he is mobility challenged. Cruising would be extremely difficult for those heavy lifetime smokers who have been unable to quit and who are mobility challenged. Imagine someone in a wheelchair having to be pushed to a smoking location 20 times a day and what if that person also has severe chronic pain which would complicate the issue. I recognize this is not a survey question but one of education. Yes nonsmoker's have rights but courteous smokers who minimize impact would have little to no impact on their non smoking neighbor.

You can still vote for another 40 minutes or so. Apparently, the survey engine doesn't do daylight savings time, so the survey is open until 1:00 PM and not noon.

Use your favorite search engine and search for Holland America Balcony Smoking Survey

You have to adapt to your circumstances. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh, but seriously you can't cover everything. My DH accepts there are limitations to his cruising due to lack of mobility. Where does your husband smoke now? If on the balcony 20 times a day that certainly would impact a non-smoking neighbour. If you, as the companion, are the person with severe chronic pain, and cannot push a wheelchair, renting a scooter each might be an option - I have cruised several times with a husband and wife who each have one.

I think the thread asking people if they would stop cruising on Holland America ships if smoking is still permitted on balconies was more clear.

The majority said it wasn't a problem. It seems that this poll is just trying to get a different outcome than that thread.

It seems that if smoking on balconies was really a big issue, Holland America would have banned it already. For those who disagree with the Holland America policy, there are many other cruise lines to choose from, so they really don't much of a leg to stand on constantly complaining about it.

soccer

I think the thread asking people if they would stop cruising on Holland America ships if smoking is still permitted on balconies was more clear.

The majority said it wasn't a problem. It seems that this poll is just trying to get a different outcome than that thread.

It seems that if smoking on balconies was really a big issue, Holland America would have banned it already. For those who disagree with the Holland America policy, there are many other cruise lines to choose from, so they really don't much of a leg to stand on constantly complaining about it.

soccer

Read the first three paragraphs under the heading: Project: Attitudes Toward Balcony Smoking on Holland America Cruises on this page:

Holland America Balcony Smoking Survey - Intermediate Readout

It lays out the reasons for the survey.

soccer

How was that more clear? The poster barked an order to only post if you would continue to sail with HAL if they kept smoking in place. When posters asked innocent questions they got replies that were not nice and were removed. I did not want to post and get yelled at so I didn't. This poll was private so I believe posters were not scared to express their feelings. I don't see how a one sided thread is more relevant. Please explain that.