Specialty Dining: what impresses you?

SeaWatch

After about 15 cruises, we tried our first specialty restaurant last March on the Equinox. We went to the Tuscan Grille. We only did it because we had a ton of obc. Our group of 4 found it quite enjoyable. The location in the aft of the ship was lovely to watch the sunset at dinner. The food was wonderful and the service was terrific. Having said that, it is a bunch of money to spend and unless we again have a ton of obc, it isn't something we would do every cruise.

We've been on two Celebrity Cruises...

On Solstice we ate in Murano's, on Summit in Normandie which is this ship's signature restaurant (features the Murano Menu...French Style food & service)

Both times were FABULOUS...

Wonderful decor, food & service. Murano's is now a fave.

We have agreed that a Specialty Restaurant is worth the bit of a splurge on each cruise (no Special Occasion required)

Next Cruise we are going to try Tuscan Grille... the Italian Steakhouse. We are looking forward to it having heard great things from many here on CC

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We found the Tuscan grill to be very good with beautiful views. Murano food was also very good, the table side lobster and dover sole presentation was very nice. Silk harvest was so-so for us. Nothing spectacular, but we got 20% off so we wanted to try it.

Compared to what one would spend on a land-based restaurant of comparable cuisine and service, I would disagree that it is a "bunch of money" to expend.

I agree! However I have been to them all, and really don't care to make them regular visits any more, as they feel pretty static to me, with menus that don't change to often. To me they are almost a been there, don e that kind of thing. However each cruise 1 or 2 times I may go if some special occasion presents itself.

$45 for a meal in a fine restaurant is a drop on the bucket compared to land, especially if using the drink package for wine and drinks.

I always say I figure $50 of my daily cruise fare is earmarked for dining. I assume $10 for breakfast, $15 for Lunch and $25 for dinner, therefore I value dinner Tuscan as $25 + $45 = $70 experience. Less than what a dinner with all the fixin's at Chris' Ruth Steakhouse or Capital Grille would be on land, and of course the view....!

We have paid extra for a number of so called specialty restaurants on nearly every cruise line and ship we have sailed on. Most had nearly identical MDR service and slightly upscale food.

Only two were truly worth it, in my opinion, of a "specialty" restaurant designation and the extra fee(s). One was the Olympic on the Celebrity Millennium and the other was Remy on the Disney Cruise Line Dream and Fantasy.

The only Celebrity restaurants that have 'impressed' me were Ocean Liners and Normandie. The setting, the menu, the service are all 'special.'

While I have had good meals at the other specialty restaurants, for me they weren't 'impressive'. jMHO [emoji18]

Are there any celebrity specialty dining venues that are impressive?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We really enjoyed the relaxing meals in the Speciality restaurants on the M class ships. U S United States on Infinity for example. Newer Speciality restaurants have not impressed us as much and even the original Speciality Restaurant on M Class ships has changed.

Our favorite was the Chef's Table, but it was on Allure of the Seas. It was $80/person and had wine with each course when we enjoyed it. The wine did flow!

We have also loved the Chef Tables on other lines, but on Celebrity it is way too expensive especially since we now usually have the premium drink pkg. On Celebrity we'll dine in Normandy/Muranos and/or Tuscan Grill and ask them to pair wine with each course. Not quite as good, but works for us.

No one has mentioned it and probably because it is so inexpensive (free at lunch and only $5 or $10 at dinner - can't remember), but it is our favorite! It is a crepe restaurant that serves Bfast crepes, entree crepes with veggies, meat, or both, and dessert crepes. I can't really pick a favorite, but with the low cost and the ability to choose as many as you wish, you can try lots of different ones.

Other than that, our specialty of choice is always Blu, but you have to be Aqua Class for guaranteed seats there.

So, does Blu compare to Normandie in terms of service and cuisine, or is it more comparable to the MDR?

Also, is Bistro on 5 sit down with waiter service or just a counter-type place?

Thanks!!

Edited by dcguy9

We've done all the specialty restaurants on the M class ships and if you can get a crowd of 6 or more Q'sine is wonderful. The more the merrier. On Infinity in May it was just my DH and I and the food was delish but we'd had more fun if we had been dining with the 14 at the table next to us.

We found the Tuscan grill to be very good with beautiful views. Murano food was also very good, the table side lobster and dover sole presentation was very nice. Silk harvest was so-so for us. Nothing spectacular, but we got 20% off so we wanted to try it.

Agree about Murano , Tuscan Grill and Silk Road.

So, does Blu compare to Normandie in terms of service and cuisine, or is it more comparable to the MDR?

Also, is Bistro on 5 sit down with waiter service or just a counter-type place?

Thanks!!

Its a restaurant with waiter service.

Enjoyed Qsine (2x), Lawn Club Grille and Bistro on Five very much.

I was not as impressed with Murano as I anticipated.

Looking forward to trying the Tuscan Grille on the Eclipse and hope that by the time we sail the Solstice I'll be up for trying Silk Harvest (haven't had a taste for Chinese cuisine after almost 30 days of nothing but this spring:p).

Lawn Club-- Great food, great fun....totally unique at sea..

Murano -- stuffy, overdone and a poor imitation of the initial "M" class specialty restaurants like Normandy...but they are no longer anywhere near what they were in the beginning either...we never bother with these anymore

Tuscan Grill -- good, enjoy, will go again most likely

Qsine- nice for groups, worth $45pp .... not IMHO

But everyone should do them all once if you can afford just to see for themselves

Everything but the price! IMHO opinion celebrity has over priced their specialty restaurants.

Twice enjoyed Murano on Century cruises very much. Reminded me of elegant restaurants in NYC and DC. Delicious food and presentation, numerous servers. Quiet, tables not too close.

Qsine - Went with friends on Eclipse in 2010. Trendy, gimmicky, not my cup of tea, but others like it obviously since it's still around almost four years later.

The most impressive one I have been to was (believe it or not) on board Carnival Legend's steak house. Everything about it was far and above the specialty restaurants an all other lines.