Beeakaway for Seniors

Giorgi-one

I have been on 30 cruises ( 7 on NCL) so I know that passenger reviews can be misleading. I would say that breakaway reviews are mixed. I have not been on the Breakaway, and my neighbor has asked my opinion on the ship. She and two of her friends (all women in their 70s) are considering a 12 day Caribbean cruise on the Breakaway in January. Based on what I have read and conversations my cousin had with Breakaway passengers in Bermuda, my first reaction is to tell her to find a different ship. Can anyone here provide some real info for seniors? Obviously, they don't care about water slides, rope courses, kids activities, loud entertainment, etc. Thanks!

I don't know exactly what is important to them. They are not frequent cruisers. I am primarily looking for responses from seioirs who have taken this same cruise.

From what I have read about the ship, my observation is that this ship is targeted toward a younger demographic and families. Based on what little I know, I would advise them to go on Celebrity but they dont want to fly.

My best guess is that they would be most interested in the following:

Accomodations - they intend to book a minisuite. Would this be comfortable for three women on a 12 day cruise. My guess is that they would have problems with storage.

Food Quality in Free Restaurants - I realize that this is subjective. My daughter lives in a relatively small midwestern city. Based on food quality I have experienced there I would guess that people from this area would think food on the ship is really good. I would also guess people frrom NYC would not be enamored with the food quality. We live in South Jersey outside of Philadelphia where food quality in restaurants is very good. Not talking any star restaurants here.

Service - I have always had very good sevice on every cruise I have taken including NCL and I assume this would not be a problem.

Anytime Dining Waitng Time - I assume they would eat early around 6 PM. My guess is that waiting times are relatively long at this time.

Entertainment - My guess is they would not be interested in Rock of Ages but I could be wrong. My observation is that entertainment is targeted to a younger age group.

General Ship Experience - I have read that this ship is very crowded on sea days and there are lots of sea days on a 12 day Caribbean cruise out of NYC. Moreover, 3 or 4 of these days will be spent with everyone inside the ship due to the weather in January.

Like I said, my opinions are all based on ship reviews. I would like some actual opinions from seniors who have taken this same cruise.

Thanks, again!

I have taken my parents (83/86) on several cruises, but no Breakaway. My pieces of advice: Look at the size of the ship! We went on the RCL Liberty and the ship was too big (too much walking). They were challenged by the distances.

Also my folks like sitting in the outdoor eating areas especially for breakfast. Hard to find on newer ships.

Most importantly (for my folks) is they cannot confidently step in/out of a tub, especially higher ones on ships, and when the ship is moving. I would never never book them in a tub-only cabin, which often rules out mini-suites on lots of lines.

Just my two cents from experiences with my folks.

I can only help you with 2 things. One being I had 3 adults all women I a spa balcony cabin. I know the bathroom is bigger in a mini suit but the cabin is the same size. My SIL slept on the couch with an egg crate she said it was very uncomfortable. Look into the studio cabin on breakaway for one of the ladies.

There are no bathtubs in mini suite unless it's a family mini suite so no problem with that as the other poster mentioned.

There is a lot of walking. How is their mobility?

For what it's worth, my husband & I went with my mom, for her 70th birthday, for a cruise on the Breakaway. She would not take the ship again. I think she felt as though it was too young, overall. She has no mobility issues whatsoever, so it wasn't a matter of the boat being too large. It was her second cruise (both NCL). I think she found it a little boring. There was a lot of kid stuff (which is fine and to be expected, summer cruise and all), but I'm not entirely certain there was a lot of adult stuff (short of laying out on the sundeck), either.

I believe if she's to cruise again, it would be on a vastly smaller ship with less of a ropes-course, Glow Party and Nickelodeon character meet and greet vibe.

Hope that helps!

That's kind of been my take on reading the reviews, etc on the Breakaway. My husband and I are seniors and enjoy the shows, etc. but certainly wouldn't be doing the ropes course. I hope they don't do away with all of their smaller ships as they build these huge ones with the stuff that the younger group wants. Us baby boomers like to cruise too.:D

My husband and I are both seniors... and did the 12 day in January this year. We had an M6, large balcony stateroom on deck 8. The majority of the passengers we saw were in the 40 and above age range - time of year, length of cruise. We felt the balcony size and location made it all so much more enjoyable. As to whether we would do it again - We are booked same cruise, same stateroom for 2015! As for 3 adults in even a mini - I would suggest making certain the bed is near the balcony so that movement would be easier.

Since they don't want to fly (and are in my area!), would they consider the Quantum of the Seas (Royal- another big ship) out of Bayonne or NCL's Gem from NYC? Or even leaving from Baltimore? (All with slightly different itineraries.)

Not quite senior yet, but have worked in adult/geriatric center for years and years. My opinion-for what it's worth would be the Gem/Jewel class ships would be a much better fit. Shows better, Rock of ages and burn the floor good, but we like nightly shows better. Space always felt limited on the BA, with fighting for space and seats.

Many more comfortable relaxing spots on Gem, and pool area is very small on BA.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

My husband & I (60,66) went on the Breakaway twice last year and are booked for Feb..We found that there are lots of things to do or nothing at all..

First time we purchased a Spa pass and enjoyed that when the weather was lousy..The second one the weather was warmer, so we spent a lot of time at the adult area H20 during the day.. It was very relaxing with no screaming children.

We enjoyed the dining, especially the waterfront restaurants..Nothing like sitting out there watching the sun go down..

We very much enjoyed the show Rock of Ages & Burn the Floor..The Jazz Club was wonderful and well as the duel pianist..

What we missed doing the first cruise we did the second time around.

We have been on many NCL cruises from the Carribean to Alaska to Europe, but have to say going on the Breakaway was one of our most enjoyable cruises.

Thanks for all your comments. Can anyone comment on waiting times for early dinner in the MDR or what now functions as the MDR? These women are not drinkers so they are not interested in waiting 30 minutes or more in a cocktail lounge waiting to be seated for dinner.

I have been on both NCL and Princess many times and my experience is that MY TIME DINING is really THEIR TIME DINING with relatively long waits during prime time. We always dine around 8:30 and wait was not too bad at that time. I much prefer fixed dining times with the same waitstaff every night. On the Breakaway, in particular, long waits could mess up your entertainment reservations after dinner.

We had little to no wait in either Taste or Savor, when we had dinner there. I don't think I/we knew that Manhattan was an option, so I can't comment there.

We had the unlimited dining plan, so made online reservations for specialty restaurants the week before we sailed, but I'm pretty sure getting into many of those places wouldn't have been a problem, particularly later in the cruise.

Edited to add: in this way, NCL far surpassed Carnival--even when we had a set dinner time, I remember there was a lot of waiting. Not so with NCL.

Edited by bleepbloopblorp

I believe the MDRs open at 5:30. If they get there just before 6 they should be able to walk right in, especially in January. That being said, we loved the Breakaway but not the LONG walk from one end of the ship to the other. I guess if they could book a cabin near the elevators it wouldn't be so bad. And if any of them are spry, they could get one with a pull-down bed so everyone would have safe passage to the bathroom at night.......jess sayin'......;)

It's really too bad that none of the cruise lines have cabins with three single beds for girlfriend, (okay, and boyfriend:rolleyes:), cruises.

Found this on cc board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43265930

"Now Taking Reservations

Reserve your spot or dine when the mood strikes

You can now make reservations for our Main Dining Rooms. To reserve before you sail visit My NCL or once you are onboard see the Restaurant Reservation Desk.

Main Dining Room reservations are optional. Freestyle cruising makes it easy to dine where you want, when you want, it's all up to you."

Edited by pj17

I believe the MDRs open at 5:30. If they get there just before 6 they should be able to walk right in, especially in January. That being said, we loved the Breakaway but not the LONG walk from one end of the ship to the other. I guess if they could book a cabin near the elevators it wouldn't be so bad. And if any of them are spry, they could get one with a pull-down bed so everyone would have safe passage to the bathroom at night.......jess sayin'......;)

It's really too bad that none of the cruise lines have cabins with three single beds for girlfriend, (okay, and boyfriend:rolleyes:), cruises.

I personally would never cruise with 3 adults in a npn-suite stateroom. Find a fourth a get twosstaterooms. Fare is usually just a few hundred dollars extra unless cruise line is running 3rd person special.

One couple (60s and in good health) said they didn't like the long walks on the Breakaway and preferred the Gem.

Another couple (also 60s and good health) booked a cabin near the elevators to reduce walking on the BA. We're getting a GTY balcony (in our 60s) so we'll see.

Our friends (the second couple) loved the BA so much on their June cruise that they booked with us for the end of Nov. Raved about the shows and meals, which were specialty, 'free' dining rooms and buffet; and they normally dislike buffets. They do not use the pools, slides, ropes, etc. and usually seek out shady spots to relax when not in the balcony cabin.

I would be concerned with 3 adults in a balcony cabin though, they are rather small, both inside the cabin and on the balcony.

Also, as someone else said, a January 12 day cruise will be an older crowd anyway. In the past, when we cruised on the 10 day in February with NCL, they adjusted the dining rooms opening to 30 min earlier than normal.

Since we're going in winter also, we hope to find some areas to relax outside of our cabins too. We always found places on the Dawn and Jewel class ships in the past... We'll see too....