Bertha

Hurricane Expert

NHC officially upgraded 93L to Bertha at 11pm EDT. No major changes to the forecast thinking. It will affect the northeast Caribbean late Friday into Saturday then turn more north to the eastern Bahamas Sunday / Monday. Significant strengthening is not forecast with Bertha.

Leaving on Disney Dream on Sunday going to Nassau and Castaway Cay. Getting nervous...

Anyone with experience with tropical storms? Will they sail through tropical storms? Stay docked at Port Canaveral and just enjoy the ship amenities? It's such a short cruise that I didn't think the could just reroute it...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my own experience sailing during a tropical storm they will stay far away from danger and make changes well before it is near. Now I was on a ship that was scheduled to dock in Nassau from 10-5 and because storm was a factor we pulled in early at like 2am and believe it or not they let us off the ship....however nothing was open except a rooftop club/bar right across from welcome area. But could turn another direction and add a stop or just have another sea day....I'm in the same boat as you I leave on Monday ON Enchantment of the seas I'm praying its goes as promised.

Captain of the Port sets Port Condition X-RAY in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Coast Guard Captain of the Port San Juan set Port Condition X-RAY at 9a.m. Friday for all the ports in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico due to incoming Tropical Storm Bertha.

During Port Condition X-RAY all maritime operations including waterfront facility and vessel transits may occur until further notice and are subject to prudent seamanship and safe working practices.

Inbound vessels that will be unable to depart if Port Condition YANKEE is set, are advised to seek an alternate destination. Container terminal operators shall reduce container stack heights to no more than three high, or propose alternate securing arrangements to the Captain of the Port. The Captain of the Port may require additional precautions to ensure the safety of the ports and waterways.

The Captain of the Port anticipates that the port condition may be increased to YANKEE in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico within the next five hours if the track for Tropical Storm Bertha remains as forecasted.

Pleasure craft operators are advised to seek safe harbor. Owners of larger boats are urged to move their boats to inland marinas where they will be less vulnerable to breaking free of their moorings or sustaining damage. Trailer able boats should be pulled from the water and stored in a place that is not prone to flooding. Those who are leaving their boats in the water are reminded to secure life rings, lifejackets and small boats. These items, if not secured properly, can break free and require valuable search and rescue resources be diverted and precluded from assisting people who may actually be in distress.

Waterfront facilities should be removing potential flying debris, hazardous materials and pollutants from dockside areas.

"WARNING"

Ports, facilities and operators should anticipate additional restrictions on inbound and outbound traffic as Tropical Storm Bertha approaches.

Mariners should prepare for impending severe weather prior to the anticipated arrival of gale force winds or when an evacuation is in progress.

Owners and operators of recreational vessels should follow small craft advisories from the National Weather Service and take the necessary measures to safeguard the safety of their vessels, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

I have cruised during a tropical storm and it was no problem. Sometimes a ship can't be docked at port and they need to ferry the tourists into land.

Latest satellite shows some thunderstorms returning. There is still a chance that Bertha could make minimal hurricane status as it moves away from the Bahamas and in between NC and Bermuda. I will put additional updates here and on my website / fb page.

Saturday afternoon Bertha remains very disorganized. Heavy rain squalls continue to move across Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. These squalls are heading toward the Turks and Caicos and SE Bahamas tonight and Sunday. Winds today are mostly 20-30 mph over P.R. and the V.I's.

The Carnival Cruise Line site reported at 4 PM today (8/2) the Port of San Juan remains closed to incoming traffic. They are hopeful it will be allowed tomorrow.

People on Caribbean Princess (Western Caribbean cruise) were told today they would be skipping Princess Cays tomorrow and begin sailing west.

LuLu

We also cruise tomorrow (MONDAY) on Enchantment of the Sea and I am worried about what changes may happen to our Itinerary. I tried to login to my account with RCI and check, but it says it cannot add my reservation at this time. So I have no idea if there have been changes yet or not. Any news from anyone else who may be cruising tomorrow?

Having the same issue can't pull my reservation for enchantment either I still need to print my luggage tags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't been able to for several days. It may be too late to print those, but I hear it is a none issue for them to write you up some when you get there. I printed one extra, too bad I can't virtually send it to you! Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app