Pay early...pay later...book now...book onboard

txflood33

So I have my second cruise booked and it's paid in full already...rather just have it out of the way and done. But then I read on here about how it's better to wait up until final payment day.

I read about specialty restaurant packages having special prices on board the first day.

We all want the most for our money and a good deal. I'm looking at shore excursions now and wondering if I can get a better deal if I wait and book on board. Then I say to myself 'what if they fill up and there is no room'?

So...how early out do you book excursions? Do you prefer going through the cruise line or going with a private tour group? If private, how do you find them and know what you want to see in say, Turkey?

Pretty clear I just need a vacation :D

It's generally best to wait to final payment because if prices go down, or a better promotion comes along you have flexibility.

Now I certainly get just getting it out of the way, anyone who is working hard to keep their life orderly would not want to risk missing payment and losing the deposit. I have been surprised there isn't some perk offered to pay in advance of final payment.

If time is an issue and you aren't interested in researching your own tours I would book popular ship excursions. There are a few in Europe that could sell out. where are you sailing? They are unlikely to be discounted much more on board but there is a deal with a few they have been bundling.

Did you join your roll call? Sometimes you can join with other groups there. Of course CC and trip advisor are good ways to get a quick overview of ports.

Most cruises do have discounted restaurant deals onboard, but there is no guarantee. If a specific day and time are important, I would book before boarding, otherwise something will be available onboard if you take care of it when boarding.

Enjoy yourself, that is the most important thing.

Edited by hulamoon

Generally, in my opinion, private excursions are better. If you have 6 or eight people, you have your own group. Or, if you have someone with mobility issues, then I would do it with smaller groups, too. Otherwise, check our your roll call. Turkey, it depends on where you are. Istanbul, Ephesus, it depends. There are some circumstances where we think it is better to do ship excursions, too.

Ohiodoglover

Celebrity Century, 23 night cruise from San Francisco to Sydney was selling for $1500pp for an inside cabin...

...now that it is after final payment date, that same inside cabin is $799pp.

Shore excursions though the ship are quite nice and they offer the protection of having the ship wait for your group if something goes wrong on the tour...

...but the same tour, sometimes from the same company, booked on your own (or with other CC members :)) is quite often ONE HALF the price.

Specialty restaurants are $40-$45pp. You can book packages at a discount that bring the price down to $30pp...

...or you can wait till you're on board and get a 2-4-1/50% off almost anytime.

Some people are willing to pay full price, up front, for a guarantee.

Other people are willing to forego a guarantee for a substantial savings.

:)

So I have my second cruise booked and it's paid in full already...rather just have it out of the way and done. But then I read on here about how it's better to wait up until final payment day.

I read about specialty restaurant packages having special prices on board the first day.

We all want the most for our money and a good deal. I'm looking at shore excursions now and wondering if I can get a better deal if I wait and book on board. Then I say to myself 'what if they fill up and there is no room'?

So...how early out do you book excursions? Do you prefer going through the cruise line or going with a private tour group? If private, how do you find them and know what you want to see in say, Turkey?

Pretty clear I just need a vacation :D

Most ship excursion choices become available 6 to 9 months prior to your cruise. Private shared cruises are usually posted on your Roll Call. Discounts between 20-50% in specialty restaurants are usually offered for the 1st night of the cruise depending on which cabin you booked. Regarding paying before final payment, people wait to see if the price drops before final so they can get a price adjustment. Not sure if you can get the reduction if you are paid in full. I have found the best prices on cruises are either early booking when they are first released or after final payment and you get to pick through the leftovers. Hope this helps a little.

It seems the cruises I count on being cheaper after final payment aren't. But if one can leave at a couple of months notice, not caring too much where and is not overly particular of cabin choice it can be much better to wait to book after final payment.

Paying early would not have hurt the OP for a price drop after final payment but may have been able to move up in cabin quality.

This is good info...

regarding the final payment date/pay early or wait..

Celebrity's site says they will issue a refund(if you ask) if paid in full and it is before the final payment date...if after the final date they will issue an OBC in the amount of 110% of the difference

I have browsed the roll call but not signed up....really not interested in meeting up with or hanging out with others on the cruise....more of a home body and it's mine and my wife's 10th anniversary.

We are doing the Med in Oct on the Reflection.....sail from Rome...Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus, Mykonos, Athens, Naples and back to Rome.

There are some ruins I'd like to see and Ephesus isn't really on the list...maybe I'll change my mind as we get closer. There is a wine tasting and cuisine tour that sounded interesting at about $100pp through Celebrity so that's where this thread came from was will it fill up and we are out of luck? Will it be offered cheaper on the ship to get it to fill up.

Just somewhat a rookie at this :o

This is good info...

regarding the final payment date/pay early or wait..

Celebrity's site says they will issue a refund(if you ask) if paid in full and it is before the final payment date...if after the final date they will issue an OBC in the amount of 110% of the difference.

Years ago they would issue OBC if price dropped after final payment. I have not seen that for many years. Can you point us to where this is stated on the Celebrity web site?

Years ago they would issue OBC if price dropped after final payment. I have not seen that for many years. Can you point us to where this is stated on the Celebrity web site?

Just read the Celebrity Rule, looks like it only applies to bookings after final payment if the booking was created within a 48 hour time frame? From what I have read on other threads after final payment was due & paid for the most people are getting is a upgraded cabins but no OBC.