Cummerbund or not?

campergirl62

My husband wears a dinner suit, a white dress shirt and a bow tie and always looks perfect for the occasion.

Thats the way to do it and I'm sure he does.

I also think a regular suit and tie is perfectly acceptable on formal nights if you dont want to wear or you dont possess a dinner suit, plus you have the added bonus of been able to use the trousers with a shirt on other less formal nights - its just when men try and mix and match a regular suit with DJ formal accessories it goes horribly wrong.

Edited by richleeds
typo

I took a cummerbund with me that goes with one of the bow ties I took and wore it the once that I wore the tie in question. But I wouldn't have felt out of place had I not had a cummerbund as the majority didn't wear them.

In theory a single breasted dinner suit should always be worn with a waistcoat or cummerbund. A double breasted one need not be. In practice however waistcoats or cummerbunds are rarely worn nowadays.

A cummerbund can also hide a belly quite well and even the trousers that no longer fasten with the button and need a safety pin can all be hidden behind a cummerbund - they have many uses.

Luckily not in this position quite yet but know a few who have used this trick.

A cummerbund can also hide a belly quite well and even the trousers that no longer fasten with the button and need a safety pin can all be hidden behind a cummerbund - they have many uses.

I tried this, but the cummerbund lost :mad:

I have 2 Tux's one has silk and one doesn't, so it doesnt mean you must wear silk trim to be wearing a tux. However they are both cut and very obviously tuxedo style dinner jacket suits in their style and finish, they look right with a bow tie.

A regular suit that you might wear to work or a job interview furnished with a bow tie and maybe a cummerbund to try and look like a tux just looks cheap and tacky.

I have 3 dinner suits 2 with silk, one without. When I wear that one I wear Black Silk shorts, but without a cumberbund. Is it ok to wear a black shirt if you are in the clergy?

personally i like wearing the whole black tie get up. Absolutely agree that a cummerbund is not vital but it does cover up the shirt coming loose. "mans" hairy stomach is not a pretty sight!:)

The Guide said Dinner suit and Black tie. What's this about a shirt? Does it never stop ?.

I always wear a cummerbund. It is designed to cover the complicated gents area where the dress shirt meets the trousers, which is always a bit crumpled. whether you are a slim Jim or a tubby hubby, a cummerbund smooths out the profile and makes you look smarter. There's a reason why they were invented.

A lot has been said about this subject. As far as I know, they were invented to replace a waistcoat for wearing in hot weather. I understand that the pleats were for holding the dance acceptance tickets and so should face upwards. Obviously surperflous nowadays but they finish off a dinner suit IMO. I suppose if you choose not to wear one you could also choose to wear training shoes. Oh! Sorry we've already been through that particular argument. :)

A lot has been said about this subject. As far as I know, they were invented to replace a waistcoat for wearing in hot weather. I understand that the pleats were for holding the dance acceptance tickets and so should face upwards. Obviously surperflous nowadays but they finish off a dinner suit IMO. I suppose if you choose not to wear one you could also choose to wear training shoes. Oh! Sorry we've already been through that particular argument. :)

One should always wear patent leather pumps with a dress suit. Never brogues! :)

Edited by Denarius

To keep packing to a sensible size, I take a pair of black tailored trousers which I wear with a cream tuxedo jacket & bow tie on formal night and with a lightweight jacket on smart (jacket required) nights. A black shirt worn with a cream bow tie goes well on the formal night, and the shirt can also be worn open neck on other nights.

It must be acceptable - Capt. Robert Camby actually complimented me on the jacket at the cocktail party… then again as I wore a hawaiian shirt the previous time I met him, when he complained about being dazzled by the colours, he just might have been gently pulling my leg!