free handicapped parking at Miami

No longer available to those with only a handicapped sticker. You must have a ramp or mechanical device for a wheelchair.

For us it is another good reason to avoid cruises out of Miami. We find it much easier and nicer to book a hotel in Ft Lauderdale that has parking and a shuttle to the port.

This new rule is a good one. People that require a drop floor van must find an accessible spot. It is the only way that they can drop their ramp other than finding an end stall. I, for one, have always wished that they stop making the accessible stalls free. It would leave many more stalls available for those that really them. The disabled person placards are so abused!!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This new rule is a good one. People that require a drop floor van must find an accessible spot. It is the only way that they can drop their ramp other than finding an end stall. I, for one, have always wished that they stop making the accessible stalls free. It would leave many more stalls available for those that really them. The disabled person placards are so abused!!!!!

it doesn't mean you cant use a placard, it means you have to have installed hand controls or a lift there are those that use a placard so they can use portables in rentals ;)

Notice to Disabled Parking Patrons (Effective November 16, 2013 at 12:01 a.m.)

Based on Ordinance 13-104 That Amends Section 30-338.2 of the Miami–Dade County Code;

Public parking charges will apply to vehicles parking at PortMiami’s public parking facilities that display a disabled parking permit or license tag, except as provided by Florida state law*. However, a vehicle displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag will be allowed up to two (2) hours of free parking. Any vehicle exceeding the two-hour free parking period will be charged for the entire time the vehicle uses the facility.

*In accordance with Florida state law, no parking charges will be imposed on any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.

How to request complimentary disabled parking at PortMiami:

•At the exit, advise the parking attendant that you would like a disability waiver of parking.

•The parking attendant will examine your vehicle to determine if the driver/vehicle meets the criteria for a parking waiver.

•The parking attendant will inspect the vehicle to determine if a Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker is affixed to it and/or if the vehicle has specialized equipment and a hanging tag from the Division of Motor Vehicles verifying the equipment.

•Once the parking attendant has verified that a disability waiver of parking is allowable, the driver's name, address and the registration number on the sticker or hanging tag will be recorded on a form by the parking attendant.

Why would you expect free parking?

I use a wheelchair and I cannot use park and cruise or any of those other "deals" , no accessible vehicles. I cannot park off site for I cannot use a shuttle again no accessible vehicles. Hell very few CITY buses are equipped with wheelchair access.

I know I know ADA and all that, however I am not interested in starting a battle months before my cruise to get these hotels to provide a shuttle so I can be *equal* like the able bodies are, I will NEVER be equal to an AB. With the cost of making a vehicle accessible, versus the demand, well if it was MY business and I was being forced to do it, I would just stop offering AB the shuttle.

WOW can you imagine the uproar THAT would cause??? Can hear it now "those whiny handicap people forced the hotels to stop offering shuttle service for airplanes and cruises , it is ALL their fault!"

Hmm might be interesting to stomp my foot and throw the ADA around, and force these hotels to provide ME a shuttle, demand they either stop offering these shuttles to AB or provide one for ME ME ME!!! Then the AB would not have to worry about the lousy free parking I get once a year or so for it would not be needed!

So my options don't cruise, or be forced to park at the port and pay their over inflated fees. Hence why they are free if there is NO other option.

If I can rent a place and park and cruise, I would HAPPILY do that. Hell I would happily give ANYONE my disease and the larger rooms for my wheelchair and the free parking and what little else we get..in exchange for my health, to walk, to run, to sit outside,to go on a behind the scenes tour (I SO want to do this ARGH not accessible) to go on the top decks (I have NEVER been on the top deck of any ship - not accessible. Maybe my upcoming princess cruise will give me full access)

I agree if you have JUST a placard parking should not be free, you can hope on a shuttle or a bus or get dropped off out front or book a room, park and cruise package . None of those options are available to someone in a wheelchair with a modified vehicle. NONE.

Anyways hope everyone is having a good day and we cruise in 96 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firerunner, I understand your frustration! My son is in a chair 24/7 and he has experienced all of the things that you mentioned. We always figure that the hotel won't have a working shuttle even if we call to reconfirm many times. It is very different for people that can take a few steps.

I hope that you have a great cruise.

I use a wheelchair and I cannot use park and cruise or any of those other "deals" , no accessible vehicles. I cannot park off site for I cannot use a shuttle again no accessible vehicles. Hell very few CITY buses are equipped with wheelchair access.

I know I know ADA and all that, however I am not interested in starting a battle months before my cruise to get these hotels to provide a shuttle so I can be *equal* like the able bodies are, I will NEVER be equal to an AB. With the cost of making a vehicle accessible, versus the demand, well if it was MY business and I was being forced to do it, I would just stop offering AB the shuttle.

WOW can you imagine the uproar THAT would cause??? Can hear it now "those whiny handicap people forced the hotels to stop offering shuttle service for airplanes and cruises , it is ALL their fault!"

Hmm might be interesting to stomp my foot and throw the ADA around, and force these hotels to provide ME a shuttle, demand they either stop offering these shuttles to AB or provide one for ME ME ME!!! Then the AB would not have to worry about the lousy free parking I get once a year or so for it would not be needed!

So my options don't cruise, or be forced to park at the port and pay their over inflated fees. Hence why they are free if there is NO other option.

If I can rent a place and park and cruise, I would HAPPILY do that. Hell I would happily give ANYONE my disease and the larger rooms for my wheelchair and the free parking and what little else we get..in exchange for my health, to walk, to run, to sit outside,to go on a behind the scenes tour (I SO want to do this ARGH not accessible) to go on the top decks (I have NEVER been on the top deck of any ship - not accessible. Maybe my upcoming princess cruise will give me full access)

I agree if you have JUST a placard parking should not be free, you can hope on a shuttle or a bus or get dropped off out front or book a room, park and cruise package . None of those options are available to someone in a wheelchair with a modified vehicle. NONE.

Anyways hope everyone is having a good day and we cruise in 96 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost kind of don't understand your issue, I mean you use equipment because your disabled and drive right ? don't you have installed devices that allow you to drive ? why don't you drive your own vehicle to the cruise port. I too have that dilemma I am a quadriplegic, but I drive my own vehicle or I may rent a car from time to time this new rule is awesome it is cracking down on the people that have a placard for no good reason other then convenience and will free up spots for those of us who truly need these spots to be able to get in and out of our vehicles

I have also stayed at the Marriott and the hyatt and have had wonderful shuttle service provided by those hotels to the cruise port maybe it is luck of the draw

at any rate hope you all don't let these issue ruin your cruise !

Edited by gator1760

No need to rant!

All ports and airports are free in Florida IF the vehicle has been converted, I have a lowered floor conversion minivan! It has a Braun ramp. Port of Miami used to be free with just a placard, but rule changed a few years ago.

I have cruised 43 times, ALWAYS park at port and NEVER paid for parking.

Check ports website if you don't believe me!

No idea if a non-Florida port.

Sherry

No need to rant!

All ports and airports are free in Florida IF the vehicle has been converted, I have a lowered floor conversion minivan! It has a Braun ramp. Port of Miami used to be free with just a placard, but rule changed a few years ago.

I have cruised 43 times, ALWAYS park at port and NEVER paid for parking.

Check ports website if you don't believe me!

No idea if a non-Florida port.

Sherry

Right on Sherry the rule changed last year and its posted above ! nor have I ever paid but I guess there are some that just had a question as to why we think we shouldn't have to pay, just trying to educate ;)

Sorry if people thought I was ranting.

Do past searches on CC and you will see why I posted what I did. Many Many threads on "free parking" and people that believe NO ONE should get it.

So when I saw the post "why do you expect free parking"

it got my hackles up.

So no rant just an explanation of why wheelchair bound individuals need parking. I have a modified truck with a lift, so we do get free parking.

Anyways once again Have a good night!!!