Do cell phone work/inside passage

spendalot

Can anyone tell me if cell phones work while on board sailing through the inside passage?:)
Depending on your carrier (check on Alaska coverage generally before you go), may find yourself roaming, but most assuredly yes. The folks up there wouldn't do without them, and you'll be in sight of land almost 100% of the time. Used mine a couple of times, and always had signal when I turned it on.

You're probably aware that they don't work well in these tin cans, but be sure to get yourself topside on the east side.

I recall having a good cell signal at Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, and some parts of the days we were Inside Passage cruising when we sailed back in 2000. No signal at Skagway though.

Although I love my T-mobile service at home---we didn't have any signal

on our Inside Passage cruise from the moment we left Vancover.

We had checked coverage before we left and had taken a phone card

along.

You will love the cruise!!!

:o

We have Cingular cell service....it worked fine everywhere in Alaska - including the Inside Passage - most of the time.

Some people have reasons why they must have access to phone service (ill/elderly parents, business situations that can't be simply ignored for 7- 14-day cruise, etc.). Don't judge.

And to anyone who has ever HAD to place a call from a ship at upwards of $14.99/min.....cell phone is just the ticket...check your carrier before leaving home.

Some people have reasons why they must have access to phone service (ill/elderly parents, business situations that can't be simply ignored for 7- 14-day cruise, etc.). Don't judge.

And to anyone who has ever HAD to place a call from a ship at upwards of $14.99/min.....cell phone is just the ticket...check your carrier before leaving home.

If you have to make a call then pay the price.

To be very real, most cell phone calls many of us have to endure in public places are frivilous. Even the business ones. Most of the chatter could wait for another time, and would be preferred by many who have to hear it if it was done in a private place. And what's just as annoying are the insipid personalized sing-song rings.

Cell phones are an addiction for some. I don't know why the original poster may want to use them, but most often they are not used for any strong purpose. For the most part, vacations, like other things, are compromised by cell phone abusers for those looking to get away from them. But, to be honest, vacations aren't getting away for many, it's just another place to do what they normally do.

There's internet access on board. Why isn't that enough? And if there's a real emergency there is a way to call.

Cingular worked all over Alaska including interior and inside passage. Others who had checked their service and were told they would have it - didn't. I called Cingular when I returned and they told me they did not have service in most of the places I was able to get it. I have a nation-wide plan with no roaming fees, and I had no additional charges.

Wish I were going with ya!

Have Cingular service and it worked all over Alaska. To some cell phone usage may be an annoyance, but to some of us keeping in touch with family during vacation is important and at times you may just want to tell about your vacation experience. My husband has a business that he also checks in on during our vacations. I feel that if I wish to sit on my balcony and make a cell phone call for ANY reason, that it is no ones business and I am in no way disturbing anyone else's vacation. To each his own, but I don't think any poster should decided what is right or wrong as to phone calls during one's vacation time.

Just returned from Infinity. It was a wonderful trip in spite of some inclement weather. I have Verizon service and have a tri-mode phome. I did get coverage in the inside passage, but it was spotty. Make sure you do not have a "digital only" phone. They are great around metro areas but will not work at all on the cruise.

Yes: YOU try to reach my 80 years old aunt to inquire about her 85 year old husband's surgery via internet. Yes. Sure. Yup! I'm sure THAT would work!

But I guess it's like cigarettes and perfume - you can please some of the people some of the time, etc.

For some, cell phones are vital while for others it's a convienience. I will say it was not a pleasure to sit on our veranda and listen to the constant loud talking into the cellphone from our neighbor. I've also been in the pool area in port while a young lady paced back and forth in front of the poolbar screaming at her boyfriend and I could hear her conversation on the other side of the pool.

I'm not sure why people have to yell into a cellphone, but it is annoying to the people around you unless you talk in a normal voice which for some reason no one does. Trust us. You are annoying. For those of you who actually talk in a normal voice and need the cellphone. :D

Yes: YOU try to reach my 80 years old aunt to inquire about her 85 year old husband's surgery via internet. Yes. Sure. Yup! I'm sure THAT would work!

But I guess it's like cigarettes and perfume - you can please some of the people some of the time, etc.

There are options. What about a relative or friend relaying the info about the surgery? There are phones on the ships and at ports for when it is absolutely essential. It is absolutely not a necessity to have a cell phone unless you are stuck in a car or an elevator or somewhere and need help.

Some people really can't fathom a world where they leave their cell phones behind, and that is at best a crutch, and at worse an addiction.

I'm not sure why people have to yell into a cellphone, but it is annoying to the people around you unless you talk in a normal voice which for some reason no one does. Trust us. You are annoying. For those of you who actually talk in a normal voice and need the cellphone. :D

There are other issues. As you mentioned, pacing while talking. But dialing is a problem and staring at the phone and programming it. Dialing while walking or fiddling with the screen while walking is very annoying because people really don't know what they are doing. Point it out to them and some are very apologetic, others are obnoxious and act as though they have a right to bump into others or be in their way because they feel they are free to stare at their cell phone screens.

I think, when out in public, be aware of surroundings in an attempt to be considerate and courteous. People engaged in phone calls or playing with their gadgets are people less aware of surroundings. I think it is a terrible idea to have them used on ships, and I'm glad to see restaurants and other social areas prohibiting their use. I think we'll see more of this.

I realize the question was (and I paraphrase, dosen't that sound intellegent?) will i get a cell phone signal in the inside passage? This is another of the subjets that seems to always start a debate. Those that think it rude, not necesary, or just plain silly to take on vacation and those who see no problem with a phone, and wonder why anyone should care.

I am traveling currently and I was astonished to see the number of people who carry phones now. I have not flown in about 6 years and as soon as the word went out that electronic devices could be used upon touchdown, it seemed half the plane pulled out phones, walking through the airport I got the feeling I was the only person without one (left it at home for DW, actually it is hers). Everywhere people were talking into their palms, or hands, or just air, in several hundred years we will be a race of people with one regular looking ear and one giant ear (phone built-in).

I read an article in the local paper the other day. Summer camps, remember those, when we were kids we went out in the country and did all kinds of things for fun. Well, seems there is a small problem these days, camp owners having to deal with campers, kids, little kids, like 8 year old kids who want to be able to play their video games and watch dvd's and yes, use a cell phone.

Maybe one day we will have a ship with an area marked, "cell phone circle" or "cell phone square" I am sort of thinking they are here to stay?

Just a cautionary note about cell phone usage. I just read a post on another board about a cruiser who was very surprised that the cell calls during the cruise wound up costing $500+. He had confirmed with his cell carrier that there would be no roaming charges where he used the phone. It's true that his mobile carrier didn't impose a roaming fee, but the cruise line did. Since they had their own cell tower on the ship, they made a roaming charge to the mobile carrier, who passed it on to the customer.

The additional cost was $1.99/minute.

Based on his total cost, I'd guess he was one of the folks addicted to his cell phone....

Carla

Again, what's the big deal and why group people who make a quiet call with their cell phone on their balcony into phone addicts who walk the ship all day with the phone attached to their ear. And don't mention "loud" voices being heard from other balconies and assume that this is only from cell phone users. I have in many instances heard very loud voices and groups from adjoining balconies that are NOT on the phone, just loud people, and let's not forget the people who come onto their balconies to have a cigarette and the smoke blows over to adjoining balconies. Oh, and let's not forget those lovely individuals who at 2am walk down the halls talking at the top of their lungs not caring that it is the middle of the night. Perhaps these are the same people who object to cell phone use, who knows!!! In other words rude people will be rude (whether using a phone, in talking, etc.) and people who are considerate of others will do so in all circumstances.

Barbara

We do not have a cell phone, but my folks are elderly. When we did the Alaska cruise I bought a prepaid phone card at Walmart. At each port I used a pay phone to check on them. They had the number for the ship if there was any emergency. It worked great for everyone. One thing to remember though, with the prepaid phone cards they charge extra minutes for using pay phones.....just make sure you get one with 120 minutes or more and you will be fine.

• 10 years later...

From my experience in AK warpters, your cell phone will display the carrier available along with signal strength. Your charges will depend on the contract your home carrier has with the carrier available. AT&T service ended outside Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan and we went to Cellular at Sea. You really need to be careful.