BED BUGS on the Caribbean Princess?

LovetheSea

I just read a July 14 review from another member that their family got bed bug bites all over them in their cabin. The staff did nothing to rectify this. Has anyone else experience bed bugs on the Caribbean Princes or another ship? I am booked on this ship and I am itching all over just thinking about this!

Almost always, when people think they've been bitten by bedbugs it winds up being sand fleas, noseeums or some other bug that has bitten them while on the beach or wherever and they had a delayed reaction. I take such reports with a grain of salt.

Edited by Pam in CA

Almost always, when people think they've been bitten by bedbugs it winds up being sand fleas, noseeums or some other bug that has bitten them while on the beach or wherever and they had a delayed reaction. I take suck reports with a grain of salt.

Pam, I was thinking the same thing. (At least I hope it was sand fleas). On one of our cruises I had a couple of bits on my lower leg. I thought the same thing at first. Bed bugs. But DH said to me that he did not have any and we slept in the same bed. I went to the beach at Princess Cay, DH did not. He stayed on board the ship. Our case was solved. Sand fleas.

Edited by geocruiser

I was thinking maybe sand fleas? Even so. I am taking those bug catcher sticky pads and putting one under all four legs of our bed. I bought a sunscreen/bug lotion to take to the beach. I have used it a few times in the Caribbean when a lot of bugs or mosquitos are around me.

Edited by LovetheSea

DH and I were on the CB in June. No bed bug bites.

I was concerned before the cruise as I had read a number of threads about the CB not being in very good shape. I am quite happy to report that she is a beautiful ship. We had a super time and had no complaints.

I was concerned before the cruise as I had read a number of threads about the CB not being in very good shape. I am quite happy to report that she is a beautiful ship. We had a super time and had no complaints.

That's why I take such posts with a grain of salt because if I believed the negative posts I wouldn't cruise often. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Good to hear the ship is in good shape. I also read reviews with a little skepticism. But I don't think they are lying, I am not as picky as some people. But I have had a lot of things go wrong on my 32 cruises and I know "stuff happens". I am an optimistic person and try and have fun at all times when vacationing. But when someone says the toilets were leaking and dripping water onto the dining room below. I tend to believe them :)

We know of a number of people who had problems with their toilets. We did not hear of any problems with the toilets leaking into the dining rooms.

Unfortunately, stuff happens. DH and I live in what we believe to be a beautiful house, however, occasionally we have also had plumbing problems. It happens.

I am cutting and pasting from the original review "Sleepless on the Caribbean"...

"We were bitten by Bed Bugs all over our bodies, Again we complained to staff. We showed them the Bed Bugs Bites all over our bodies. Yet nothing was done about this either".

I am cutting and pasting from the original review "Sleepless on the Caribbean"...

"We were bitten by Bed Bugs all over our bodies, Again we complained to staff. We showed them the Bed Bugs Bites all over our bodies. Yet nothing was done about this either".

The only way to determine whether it was bed bugs is to examine the mattress. Even if you don't see bugs, there should be residue from them.

Most people don't realize that you can even get bug bites outside on deck while on the ship at sea. While on the Sapphire last March, a massive swarm of bees forced the closure of a section of Lido deck for a couple of hours. One side of the Lotus pool area was blocked off from the pool, up the steps and the area around the steps.

So, whoever posted about the bed bugs doesn't mention having examined the mattress. Their only "evidence" is the bites.

Could you post the link to that discussion because I do not see it on the Princess forum nor by searching for "Sleepless on the Caribbean".

Thanks...I didn't know it was a CC passenger review which because there's no way to ask questions are not as helpful to me. They weren't happy with much except for the food claiming many staff were rude but there's no way to learn if the bed bug claim was accurate or not. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've never heard of bed bugs on a ship, but I won't rule it out. It would be horrible to deal with (on a cruise or at a hotel).

I HAVE heard of bed bugs on a ship...I think people bring them with them, just like at hotels.

I have always heard that with bed bugs, there will be three bites in a row or right near each other....like, breakfast-lunch-dinner..

:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks...I didn't know it was a CC passenger review which because there's no way to ask questions are not as helpful to me. They weren't happy with much except for the food claiming many staff were rude but there's no way to learn if the bed bug claim was accurate or not. :(

I might be cranky too, if I had bed bugs bites! ;)

Except that bed bugs don't bite all over your body. They tend to follow blood vessels so the bites usually appear in a line on an arm or leg.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I HAVE heard of bed bugs on a ship...I think people bring them with them, just like at hotels.

I have always heard that with bed bugs, there will be three bites in a row or right near each other....like, breakfast-lunch-dinner..

:eek::eek::eek:

Bed bugs do not necessarily bite in a row. They bite what and when they can. Bed bugs hide out in dark places. In clothing, furniture and anyplace they can catch a ride. But you can see evidence of them. Dark spots on the mattress. Look around the mattress seams and button areas. One bed bug can cause a massive amount of bugs. The cleanup after bed bugs is very costly. Thousands of dollars. I always check my bed on ships and hotels to make sure my room is safe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I might be cranky too, if I had bed bugs bites! ;)

I agree but some people are always cranky & based on their review I'm not willing to attribute it to bed bug bites. ;) That's why I said CC reviews without an opportunity to ask follow up questions are not helpful to me.

We can speculate all we want & we'll never truly know what happened so I just take this with a grain of salt.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There are other posts about people having bed bugs in their cabins on other ships and other cruise lines. I just typed bed bugs in my search. Several other posts.

I won't stop cruising. But I will be extra careful and plan to inspect our cabin thoroughly when we get there. I do not want to bring anything home with me. I hear they are almost impossible to get rid of.

Edited by LovetheSea