After Radisson Will I like Royal Caribbean

jmb1101

We are planning to go on a cruise to the Caribbean in the Fall. We went on Radisson last year and loved it. We are considering either Radisson again or Royal Caribbean. The bottom line is will be disappointed if we gon on RC (especially in the food) after such a great cruise on Radisson?

Depends, we are loyal Radissons customers, but we took the grandkids and kids on the Brillance of the Seas in March, we had a great time, the service and the food was sooooo below Radissons level that you can't even compare the two. We stayed in one of their suites, and all I can say about it is WOW......The shows were very good, and the kids programs were wonderful. I would really consider what is important to you, and I know if it's just my husband and myself, we'll stick with Radisson.....Whatever you decide , have a great trip icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

After a Radisson cruise, you will not like RCI at all. We became disgusted with RCI's lines, crowds, and "nickel and diming" and quit cruising until we discovered Radisson. It is an unfortunate situation, but if I cannot afford to cruise Radisson, Silversea, or Seabourn, I'd frankly rather stay home! Plus, you will not save any money by taking RCI. Pick a Radisson cruise on the itinerary you want. Check the price of the cheapest suite, and the size, location, and features of it. Now, price the comparable thing on RCI. Add about $200 pp per week for tips (included on Radisson) and the price of all the $4 bottles of water and $3 cokes you'd drink on RCI (included on Radisson). And if you drink alcoholic beverages, none are included on RCI and many are included on Radisson. Do the Math, and you'll pick Radisson.

Hope this helps,

Richard icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Thank you. That is exactly what we were thinking. We want friends to go with us and this gives me the ammo to explain to them how much it will really cost and how much less we will enjoy it if we go on RC.

I went on NCL after a Radisson Cruise and while I agree with the above comments (I hated being nickel and dimed to death, but I learned to get around it). Dinner in the dining room on NCL was very good but I agree about the other meals on the buffet lines, so tried to eat all meals in the dining room.

But I also went on NCL with Cooking Light Magazine and they had lots of great stuff for us to do and cocktail parties etc. So had no choice if I wanted to cruise with them. I would also not recommend Radisson for MOST children since they have very few activities for them to do. I know my 20 year old son would not enjoy Radisson at all - no night life to speak of and no one his age to hang out with.

But with only adults - I would stick with Radisson.

We were on the Commodore MS Caribe 03/22/1980. Was just ok and kind of forgot about cruising. We then went on the Radisson Paul Gauguin in Tahiti 02/15/03 and had such a wonderful time that we decided to do another cruise. Went on the Norwegian Dream 02/15/04 out of NOLA. 50,000 tons 1,880 passengers. WE WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!! We were so disappointed that we were afraid that if we did not go on another Radisson cruise right away we might stop cruising. Decided to sign up for the "MINT" Radisson Mariner cruise out of LAX 11/12/04 which will have a lot of CCer's on board. Last but not least our group that went on the PG in Tahiti now are planning on the Radisson Diamond 02/15/2005 out of San Juan.

Bottom line is we will only do Radisson or a cruise line of same quality. We will not drop down again.

We did RSSC Mariner to Alaska and then the next cruise we did a Celebrity on the Millennium. It was a new ship. It was one of the worst trips I had taken. I hated the nickel and dime thing and even more, the crowds, lines and lack of quality. Somewhere recently I read that if you travel, you are much happier when the surroundings and enviornment are in line with the quality of how you live. I have a nice home with nice furnishings, we go out on the more upscale side of restaurants and activities. I will not travel on RCI or the mass market lines again unless there is no itinerary on those lines that I would want to sail. I'd rather stay home.

Kathy

6/2/04-Navigator Bermuda

9/22/04-Navigator NYC/Canada

5/03-Mariner - Panama Canal

6/01-Mariner-Alaska Inaugural

5/02-Millennium - Carribbean

12/97-RCCL Splendor of The Seas - Carribbean

1998/1993/1991 RCCL Viking Serenade

We will be first timers on RSSC this July, when we travel on the Navigator. It's just my sweetheart and I travelling to Bermuda on Navigator. We are looking forward to, and expecting, an upscale experience, more upscale than the mass market lines.

That being said, that will not deter us from travelling the mass market lines, especially when we have children in tow. RCL Voyager class ships are absolutely phenomenal with kids. We also had a spectacular suite, and very good dining and service, on the Golden Princess, which we travelled on this March with her daughter.

We know there will be more "nickel and diming" on the mass market lines, more crowds, etc. We still love that particular experience, and are looking forward to comparing Radisson with RCL, Celebrity, NCL, and Princess, all of which we've sailed before.

I think at some point we will have to go on the more "kid friendly" lines since we have a 2 year old but I think when my H and I travel we definitely like the more luxurious experience such as the Radisson Cruises. I am glad I asked this question. Great Feedback!

We sailed on RCCL 5 times in 5 years before our introduction to RSSC on the PG 4 years ago. We've now completed 4 RSSC cruises, the last 3 in Europe.

The main difference for us is the crowding and long lines on the 2,000+ passenger RCCL ships. Shore tours are a major operation with a lot of "hurry up and wait" time.

Main dining room food was good on RCCL, and not much different from RSSC. However, service is more professional and friendly on RSSC. Of course, there's nothing like RSSC's Latitudes and Signatures restaurants on RCCL.

Finally, we've found the RSSC crew and staff much warmer and helpful. Part is probably due to the better better cresicon_razz.gifasenger ratio on RSSC, and I think much is due to their professionalism.

Of the large-ship lines, we found RCCL to be better than Princess and celebrity. I don't hesitate to recommend them to friends who want children's programs, for example.

Hope this helps -Jack

I'm sorry was the question, would I enjoy RCCL after having such a fabulous cruise on RSSC???

I guess the answer to that is, it depends.

We are sailing with friends on Princess and Celebrity after coming off of a fabulous Silversea cruise. As long as you do not expect RCCL to live up to RSSC in the way of food, service, lines, etc. you will probably be fine. Just go and enjoy. It still beats being at work.

However, if you have a choice and you aren't already committed.

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??????????? Spend a little more and get spoiled all over again!!!

Carnival Mardi Gras 04/75

NCL Skyward 05/84

NCL Southward 04/91

Carnival Ecstasy 12/93

Crown Princess 12/94

Seabourn Legend 05/96

Enchantment of the Seas 08/01

Celebrity Infinity 10/01

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/02

Splendour of the Seas 4/03

Splendour of the Seas 10/03

Silver Whisper 4/04

Caribbean Princess 11/04

Celebrity Infinity 4/05

RSSC Diamond 7/05

Silver Whisper 11/05

Don

Until Our Caribbean Princess Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Our Infinity Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;4;6;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-900

Until Our RSSC Diamond Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;7;2;15;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until Our Silver Whisper Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;11;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The problem is you cruised Radisson first, in my opinion its all down hill from here, I went on the Royal Carribean Voyager of the seas a couple of years ago it was the biggest ship in the world at the time and I felt the food was terrible, the only good meal I had was in Portofinos which is the restraunt they charge you a cover charge for. Last October I cruised Radisson Voyager from Athens to Barcelona, there is absolutley no comparison, and Royal Carribean is one of those cruise lines that nickels and dimes you to death, just my opinion but I think you would be very dissapointed.

cruisinsince75:

We have been on some RCI and NCL cruises wherein I would RATHER have been at work! Especially considering that I get paid for being at work, and have to pay for being on those ships. And boy, how I have to pay! I did the math on our last RCI cruise, and by the time I figured in an upgraded cabin not too much smaller than Radisson's and my bill for all the "extras" Radisson includes, RCI didn't same me a dime over Radisson. Plus all the lines, crowds, and constant crowding and confusion was maddening. In automotive language, I had paid for a Mercedes but sure didn't get one!

After our Radisson experiences, we will cruise only Radisson, Silversea, and Seabourn ---- and perhaps look at Celebrity's new upscale "Xpedition" cruises that are said to be similar.

On another issue, Radisson IS developing a "kids program" on some of its sailings.

Jim, I knew you would really dislike the Norwegian Dream when you posted that you had booked it (we were on it in '99), but didn't want to say that, as you were already committed.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Let me put it this way my first cruise in my life was on RC, Voyager of the seas, after being in the hotel industry for years I felt there was a very lack of service, I was almost scarred for life about cruising,I swore I would never go on one again, at age 28 I really felt cruising was not for me, and this is coming from someone who has grown up around boats and loves the ocean, a few years later I took a Radisson cruise for my honeymoon, I will always spend the money which like someone else stated earlier, bottled water alone is over a hundred dollar savings. to give to an example my one weeks onboard account on RC was almost $1100.00,, with only one small excursion, my account on the Radisson Voyager for ten days and some pretty hefty excursions my account was only $1350.00. I know after sailing with 3300 passengers that is not for me, Radisson is the way to go.

Yea I know Richard. You are not the first to tell me that.

Actually the reason we did Norwegian Dream was because we wanted to go to NOLA and see my sister and thought it was a good idea to throw this in. PLUS I had been asking questions on the CC NCL page and met a couple from Alabama that we had a wonderful time meeting on board the ship.

Jim and all:

In all fairness, I must state that we've cruised RCI, the old Crown line, and NCL, including the Dream. The Dream was the worst of the NCL cruises, and none of the NCL cruises was as good as the RCI cruises. But still, it is a quantum leap upward from RCI to Radisson.

Thanks,

Richard icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Archived