Distance of shuttle or buses for Mendenhall Glacier from cruise ship in Juneau.

ml1411

We are a party of 6 who will be arriving in Juneau on the NCL Pearl at the end of August. We don't arrive in port until 2:00 PM. We are traveling with two in our party who cannot walk long distance. We plan on taking the shuttle out to Mendenhall Glacier, but I'm worried that the walk to bus or shuttle will be too long. Is it a long walk or are there shuttle buses right off the ship? Is taking a taxi to the Glacier a better option so at least we won't be stuck in a crowded bus?

Edited by ml1411
typo

I'm assuming you have cruised before? Can they manage the distances on the ship- which can be significant? IF there is going to be issues, I would highly recommend you rent wheelchairs. There are vendors who deliver right to the cruise ships.

With the Pearl, there is going to be walking in Juneau, with getting off the ship, up a ramp and at least to outside the dock. At this point, there will be cabs, ship tours, and the cruise line shuttle bus to the "downtown" area, next to the tram. This is where you would board the Mendenhall shuttle bus- purchased independently. At the visitor center drop off, it is a short walk to the Visitor Center - which would be recommended if not walking any further.

If wheelchairs aren't needed, I would arrange for a taxi pick up, in a van if possible, or use 2 cabs. I would suggest you call them direct, now and inquire what they offer. http://www.traveljuneau.com has listings

The shuttles are about $20pp so $120 for 6 of you.

Evergreen/Capital Taxi charge $70hr ( their listing is in the traveljuneau site). I'm sure others have similar rates. Taxi service or a private tour.

Have you considered renting a minivan for the day? The driver could walk to the office then come back and pick up the others at the pier. A car would enable you to spend time at Mendenhall but also explore the area ... drive to Douglass Island, fish hatchery, and along the coast to see Shrine of St Therese, Eagle Beach, and roads end. There are few roads in Junea since it's land locked so impossible to get lost. There are maps in the traveljuneau site.

.......Have you considered renting a minivan for the day? The driver could walk to the office then come back and pick up the others at the pier. A car would enable you to spend time at Mendenhall but also explore the area ... drive to Douglass Island, fish hatchery, and along the coast to see Shrine of St Therese, Eagle Beach, and roads end. There are few roads in Junea since it's land locked so impossible to get lost..
That would be my suggestion also, for flexibility and convenience.

You could take along a folding wheelchair for a person who has trouble walking.

You pick up and drop off your passengers right by the pier.

At Mendenhall Glacier (as at other attractions) your car is right there in the parking lot whenever you are ready to leave, so there is no waiting around for a taxi or bus to arrive.

You can leave your belongings locked up in the car instead of needing to carry them around with you while sightseeing.

It also makes it very easy if you want to stop off at a drugstore or grocery store, or anywhere else, along the way. You pass right by Walmart on the drive out to the glacier.

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the idea of renting a car. The persons in our party is mobile and does not need a wheelchair, but just can't stand on a bus or walk a few blocks. I'll check if there are still cars available.

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the idea of renting a car. The persons in our party is mobile and does not need a wheelchair, but just can't stand on a bus or walk a few blocks. I'll check if there are still cars available.

there are only 2 rental vendors available, Avis at the Goldbelt Hotel, and independent Juneau Car Rental. Neither shuttle, so you can walk or take a cab.