New to NCL

maggie416

Hi! We have been on 12 cruises, mostly with Princess & Celebrity. We live in Ct. and prefer sailing from Ny or NJ. Well, Princess & Celebrity have mostly stopped sailing from these ports, so we decided to give NCL a try. Somewhat nervous! Reassurance please! Sailing on The Gem, 14 nights! That I like! Bahamas Canada & New England.

Thanks,

Marguerite

I also cruise with Celebrity and, even though I've not been on the Gem, I've been on a couple of NCL ships. The first two cruises were in a balcony cabin, which I thought were much smaller than a Celebrity Concierge Cabin, but it had ample storage. Next two cruises were in aft penthouses, which were outstanding.

The cruise will be different than Celebrity. It is much more casual. There is no fixed time dining. There are more specialty restaurants. Better entertainment. I've had a great time on all my cruises, but I always say there are no bad cruises, just some are better than others. Don't look for your cruise experience to be like Celebrity or Princess, because it will probably be different, just like your experience on Princess is different than your experiences on Celebrity. The crew on all my NCL cruises have been exceptional; very accomodating and friendly. If you don't go in looking for the differences or issues, you will probably have a fantastic time.

I too, have been looking at NCL's new ships...they should quite fun. We have traditionally cruised on RC and Princess. I think we're going to book NCL in 2015 and give it a try. Like many have you have said, there are no bad cruises.

Edited by Kayaktom

I also cruise with Celebrity and, even though I've not been on the Gem, I've been on a couple of NCL ships. The first two cruises were in a balcony cabin, which I thought were much smaller than a Celebrity Concierge Cabin, but it had ample storage. Next two cruises were in aft penthouses, which were outstanding.

The cruise will be different than Celebrity. It is much more casual. There is no fixed time dining. There are more specialty restaurants. Better entertainment. I've had a great time on all my cruises, but I always say there are no bad cruises, just some are better than others. Don't look for your cruise experience to be like Celebrity or Princess, because it will probably be different, just like your experience on Princess is different than your experiences on Celebrity. The crew on all my NCL cruises have been exceptional; very accomodating and friendly. If you don't go in looking for the differences or issues, you will probably have a fantastic time.

Thanks!!!! I am sure it will be fantastic!

Marg

The gem is very ncl....colorful with odd accessories here and there like dusty fake flowers.....have not cruised princess but love X.....if they left from boston we would choose X as bermuda is our new favorite destination...can't beat the ease of not having to deal with flights....so the dawn is our new ship and she is a sister to the gem....the gem has 2 pools and the lovely outdoor area beyond the buffet to eat.....in this class the lines are much more similar than different....the pool area seemed much louder and crowded on the gem as it was summer with many family groups.....easy to avoid if you have a balcony.....dinner is where you will see the most difference....the food is overall not as good in the mdrs but the buffet is fully open unlike x.....the freestyle dining has changed the staffing dramatically.....review after review talks about the slow or rushed service with staff nearly running to keep up and very impersonal.....I agree and chose a couple of pay restaurants and very happy with them....if you can embrace the differences you will have a great time....we certainly did!....I would pick the gem over the dawn but would go on either tomorrow if I could!

Go and relax and have a great time. Variety they say is the spice of life. We've been on the Gem and had a great time. Ok the mdr food is better on X but the gem specialty food is fabulous. They know how to party and the live band outside daily is always good