Canary Islands on the Epic in February

BunnyLebowski

This looks like a really fun trip out of Barcelona.

Has anyone done this itinerary in the winter months? Wondering if there are many kids? What about ratio of European to American passengers? How was the weather? Any general advice about ship conditions would be greatly appreciated, as well as recommendations. TIA

Our first cruise ever was a Canary Islands one from Barcelona in January and the weather (mainly the seas) on the Atlantic were so bad that it has taken me years to even consider TA cruises. Others' experiences may vary, but I wouldn't take an Atlantic cruise during winter months.

Edited by Demonyte

This looks like a really fun trip out of Barcelona.

Has anyone done this itinerary in the winter months? Wondering if there are many kids? What about ratio of European to American passengers? How was the weather? Any general advice about ship conditions would be greatly appreciated, as well as recommendations. TIA

I have done it twice in Jan and Feb on Spirit. First time the weather was cold and windy, the second time a lot better.

The only children I saw were very young as no schools in Europe were out. There is one week in February when UK schools are out which may see more kids on board.

There were very few American passengers on either of our sailings. A long way to come for an itinerary that doesn't have a fantastic weather guarantee or a major attraction. Most of the pax are British and German with a fair few Spanish and Russian added to the mix. Not from the age group that has young or schools age children.

The Epic has not done this itinerary yet, so a lot remains to be learned when it does in Winter 2015/16. Until then it will be Spirit for 2014/2015 doing it. We will probably go again in the coming months but are very unsure if we want to do it on the Epic. I sailed Epic a few years ago and had a great cruise but wonder if it is the ship for my sister and I to sail on. Concerned about the lack of indoor spaces and reliance on things outside when the weather may not actually be conducive to this. That is why we will let her sail a few months before we jump to book Epic or do something else.

We did a great cruise on the Jade out of Barcelona in March 2011 that went to Morocco, Canary Islands, Madeira and Malaga.

There we not huge numbers of young people on the ship. There were a mix of North Americans and Europeans.

It was a fun trip and the price was great.

The Epic will draw a younger crowd (30s and 40s) as opposed to the normal cruise age of 60s and 70s.

• 2 months later...

the epic has a different itinerary it does not stop at lArrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands the volcanic mountain has anyone been there and is it a must stop, because I will have to take the spirit before the epic takes over.

Edited by gemcrusier

Concerned about the lack of indoor spaces and reliance on things outside when the weather may not actually be conducive to this. That is why we will let her sail a few months before we jump to book Epic or do something else.

Most will criticize the EPIC for having hardly any outdoor spaces ... as it is almost all enclosed.