Embarkation drink allowance...oh no another question!!

janny444

Hi....how can there be yet another question about this :))) but there is.

I know that MSC don't allow any drinks to be taken on board at Embarkation BUT what if it is for medicinal use. I suffer from sea sickness and I have tried several different remedies...arm bands...tablets but they don't work for me. Someone has suggested Ginger so I am considering taking a bottle of ginger cordial...would that be allowed... we have pre paid for the AI drink package so MSC won't be losing out on any revenue

Only with a prescription!

I am usually the first person to feel motion sick. I get it in less than 2 minutes in a car and I always get it on a boat. Having lived with my susceptibility to motion sickness all my life, and tried everything from prescribed medications to old-wives cures, I can tell you that there is no cure! Medications can slow down the onset at a cost of suffering for longer and bands, pressure points, ginger ec. is totally hocus-pocus witch doctery.

Motion sickness is caused by the brain being unaccustomed to a different pattern of motion. If there is any cure it is simply time. The symptoms gradually fade as the brain does get used to the motion. Medications slows this process down so can be advised for a one-off ferry trip but not a more prolonged cruise.

Fresh air and watching the horizon or distant land also speeds up the process of your brain making sense of what your balance system is telling it. Conversely, sitting or lying down inside is about the worst thing you can do. Also being anxious about about feeling sea sick really does not help. Professional seafarers still feel uncomfortable in rough weather but are accustomed to feeling uncomfortable - it is a normal reaction - and just get on with their jobs regardless.

Security will probably let your ginger cordial pass through but it won't help except as a possible placebo.

Good luck!

Edited by Skipper Tim

Thanks Tim....looks like there is only one certain remedy....give up cruising!!!! I am OK with cars/coaches/trains...just cruising and then not every time. I've no idea how they manage to carry on working feeling like that...I can't even stand up...its not just a case of feeling sick it takes my balance altogether....I can't even see so I end up totally comatose on my bed. Ah well...fingers crossed that it is a smooth sailing next month :)

Only with a prescription!

I am usually the first person to feel motion sick. I get it in less than 2 minutes in a car and I always get it on a boat. Having lived with my susceptibility to motion sickness all my life, and tried everything from prescribed medications to old-wives cures, I can tell you that there is no cure! Medications can slow down the onset at a cost of suffering for longer and bands, pressure points, ginger ec. is totally hocus-pocus witch doctery.

Motion sickness is caused by the brain being unaccustomed to a different pattern of motion. If there is any cure it is simply time. The symptoms gradually fade as the brain does get used to the motion. Medications slows this process down so can be advised for a one-off ferry trip but not a more prolonged cruise.

Fresh air and watching the horizon or distant land also speeds up the process of your brain making sense of what your balance system is telling it. Conversely, sitting or lying down inside is about the worst thing you can do. Also being anxious about about feeling sea sick really does not help. Professional seafarers still feel uncomfortable in rough weather but are accustomed to feeling uncomfortable - it is a normal reaction - and just get on with their jobs regardless.

Security will probably let your ginger cordial pass through but it won't help except as a possible placebo.

Good luck!

It's actual cause is the brain's inabilty to process conflicting signals from the eyes and the balance mechanism within the vestibular system of the inner ear.

As such scopolamine (hyoscine) based patches can be very effecrve as they are thought to block the signals from the inner ear.

The placebo effect is very powerful however instigated, whether by ginger , acupuncture, wristbands or patches and should not be dismissed out of hand as hocus pocus witch craft as many people will benefit from it.

from the NHS web site

There is little research specifically into the use of ginger to treat motion sickness, but ginger does have a long history of being used as a remedy for nausea and vomiting. Some studies that investigated the use of ginger for motion sickness found a benefit, while others found no benefit at all

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Mmmm....patches...sounds a good idea. Maybe if I take and do all "job lot" ......tablets/bands/ginger/patches....standing on my head in a corner ( only joking) something may work :D

IF you believe it is going to work it probably will (the placebo effect)

Ginger ale is useful for settling an upset stomach and as you have the drink package can just go to most bars on the ship and store them in the cabin fridge ... :)

And for some people it does help with sea sickness, as with most things in life not everything cures everyone.

Edited by sidari

Hi...does anyone know where to buy in the uk the patches...not bands...for sea sickness.Can you buy them over the counter or are they prescription only. Do they sell them on board ship?

They are prescription only in the UK

However there are a number of online pharmacies which will give an online consultation with a GMC register doctor who may issue a prescription

here is a link to one such pharmacy

I do not give any recommendation but am simply supplying information in reply to your question ..here is the link should you wish to read the information given on it

http://www.doctorfox.co.uk/news/scopoderm/

Here is a link to another online pharmacy which offers a similar service

http://www.healthexpress.co.uk/scopoderm.html

Pete

Edited by Skier52