Wow, Airfare prices

cruisinfanatic

April is a crap shoot in NJ. half the schools are off the week before Easter, the other half start Good Friday and go through the following week. If Passover and Easter fall during different weeks, all bets are off.

Yes, it seems that the NJ schools plan the break around Passover and Easter. In MA I believe it always includes Patriot's Day which is the 3rd Monday of April (no, not the NE Patriots the Revolutionary War Patriots - although I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom Brady Day on the calendar at some point!)

Yes, it seems that the NJ schools plan the break around Passover and Easter. In MA I believe it always includes Patriot's Day which is the 3rd Monday of April (no, not the NE Patriots the Revolutionary War Patriots - although I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom Brady Day on the calendar at some point!)

My son is one of the 100,000+ college students in BOS...that said, I believe most have Spring Break in March so that probably isn't the issue.

You mentioned Patriot's Day...don't forget the Boston Marathon is April 20 and flights are in high demand for the 5-7 days prior and several days after.

Here on the West Coast, most grade school districts take Spring Break around Easter / Passover. Caribbean and Florida are popular destinations for family vacations....the lowest fares from the West Coast on JetBlue often involve connecting through BOS or JFK. So you're also competing for seats to SJU with passengers from all over the country.

Seriously? Of course I wasn't referring to every school in NY and NJ and I never mentioned PA or CT (which I believe does have the same break as MA and RI). NH is sometimes the same but sometimes not for April. I have several coworkers in NY and NJ with children in both public and private schools. I know that it's not "Jersey Week" and I know NY public schools are not off. I'm sure if you try hard enough you can find a NY/NJ school that is off that week. Thank you for your input.

Look, you said it "wasn't school vacation week" in NJ/NY, as though school vacations are set by the states, rather than by the individual school districts. My point was simply that there is a huge number of people spread across quite a few states that in which folks may well be willing to drive to JFK for a flight if it saves them $. So even though you assume it isn't school break week, there may well be quite a few schools that DO have break then, and are thus driving up the flight prices.

When is your actual cruise?

Edited by waterbug123

My son is one of the 100,000+ college students in BOS...that said, I believe most have Spring Break in March so that probably isn't the issue.

College spring breaks are frequently much earlier than local school districts. Colleges tend to schedule them in the middle of the semester, which usually means March, whereas local school districts in many parts of the country schedule them around Easter, which is occasionally late March but more often sometime in April.

College spring breaks are frequently much earlier than local school districts. Colleges tend to schedule them in the middle of the semester, which usually means March, whereas local school districts in many parts of the country schedule them around Easter, which is occasionally late March but more often sometime in April.

??? Precisely what my post stated. :)

Hi Sharon, My husband and I are sailing the Jewel next April school break also and are seeing the same ridiculous airfare prices right now. I like your idea of looking at flying out of a neighboring state that doesn't do that same break. One thing, though, your post sounds like you are expecting a Sunday to Sunday cruise. My confirmation says they cruise departs on April 18th...that's a Saturday.

Hi Sharon, My husband and I are sailing the Jewel next April school break also and are seeing the same ridiculous airfare prices right now. I like your idea of looking at flying out of a neighboring state that doesn't do that same break. One thing, though, your post sounds like you are expecting a Sunday to Sunday cruise. My confirmation says they cruise departs on April 18th...that's a Saturday.

Hi. Thanks for your note. I was actually referring to the Carnival Valor that cruises 4/19-4/26. Although I should add since I don't know if I said so in my previous posts, that we haven't 100% committed to that cruise. We are definitely cruising that week as that is when the kids are off school. The Valor is our first choice due to the itinerary but we are still deciding. One of the many reasons we haven't committed to the JFK flights yet...