Suggestion idea for Kid-Friendly Cruises

LidoCanuck

I was watching some kids playing at a local campground and marvelling at how much they love sleeping in tents. I would like to suggest to cruiselines that a fun activity for the younger set would be one night of the cruise spent camping on the lido deck, complete with tents, sleeping blankets, hotdogs, smores, singalongs etc. I think the kids would have an absolute blast.

Sounds cool as an idea but to do it you would need to email the cruise lines directly

Plus they would put a cost involved for the supervision out of hours

Don't think many parents would want that

Give it a go though and see if you get a reply

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know Carnival charges for babysitting-10pm to 3am. This is not in your cabin but like a slumber party. There would have to be a charge for this. As with their babysitting one or two crew would have to stay awake when camping kids are sleeping. There would have to be big tents for all and how to you set them up when you can't drive anything into the deck.

If you have kids, let then sleep in a sleeping bag on the cabin floor or put up a pup tent in your cabin.

Why? There are others that like to enjoy the pool deck at night and in the early mornings. Also, wouldn't someone want to sit up during the night to make sure that the kids aren't doing something that could be dangerous???

As with their babysitting one or two crew would have to stay awake when camping kids are sleeping. T

You are absolutely right that someone would have to stay up all night--and it is the pits. I worked at a summer camp on the water and we had to stay up in shifts during sleepovers on the beach in case of bad behavior or sleepwalkers. I also think it'd be difficult to lop off a part of the deck so the kids were separated--on Carnival they make a weird barrier thing on the Lido during kids meals to keep outsiders at bay.

At first glance, sounds like a good idea, other than various issues mentioned above. It wouldn't have the same ambiance as a camping trip though, as they would not be allowed to have campfires, so the hot dogs and s'mores would have to be prepared differently and would take away from the experience. Though Disney might be able to pull it off - they seem to get exemptions for things that other cruise lines can't.

Why not simply take your kids camping if they are not into cruising? Leave them with Grandma while cruising if you are afraid they will be bored. Perhaps it is the line you are cruising if they are bored- Disney or the RCI monster ships which have PLENTY for kids.

I do not understand why people want cruising to be like everything else. fro example those RCI monster ships with their zip lining, ice skating, wave riding, rock climbing etc. All are things I can do within 50 miles of my home. As far as that we have great state parks where we can go camping too within 50 miles of our home. I have no real desire for any of that on a cruise since none of it is expensive to near home.. A cruise is about being in the middle of the ocean and enjoying the view seeing a sky full of stars at night.