Genoa and Train Times

Kiwi67

Hello,

I am a first time cruiser frantically trying to plan my excursions etc and love reading these forums and picking up all the tips.

I was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice. My Med cruise on the Splendida ends in Genoa on 19th Oct at 8am and I am heading to Nice, hopefully by train. I am trying to arrange this transport but wasnt sure how long it would take me to get off the ship and get to the train station?

There is a train at 11am or a 1pm, would be be safer for me to book the 1pm train?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Bronwyn

Allow half an hour to walk to the station - it's less, but that gives you time if you're unsure, looking for the easy path and so on. They also have taxis at the port so that would get you there in 10 minutes, allowing for congestion (although they can be scarce if you leave at a busy time).

So the only real risk of the first train is if you're delayed getting in. Being the Med that's not so common, but it would be a risk you take. Normally, you would be easily able to get off by the standard time of 8 a.m.

Hello,

I am a first time cruiser frantically trying to plan my excursions etc and love reading these forums and picking up all the tips.

I was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice. My Med cruise on the Splendida ends in Genoa on 19th Oct at 8am and I am heading to Nice, hopefully by train. I am trying to arrange this transport but wasnt sure how long it would take me to get off the ship and get to the train station?

There is a train at 11am or a 1pm, would be be safer for me to book the 1pm train?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Bronwyn

It is only a short distance from the docks to the station you depart from (see image), approx 0.5 mile as the crow flies, probably 1.5 - 2 miles around the road system.

All taxis are metered and a similar distance journey from my hotel to the docks , last year, cost 12 euros.

I would expect under the normal disembarkation arrangements the 11:00 train would be fine.

genoa.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

You definitely won't get off at 8am but disembarkation should commence on or just before 9. I agree under normal circumstances 11am train should be fine. Just check you are not allocated to the last group to disembark or it might be a bit of a rush.

Also, remember to punch your train tickets (unless you're using email confirmations) in the yellow machines before you get on the train. This is required to validate your ticket and if you don't do it you can get in to bother or even fined by ticket inspectors on the train

Hello

thank you so much for your help I will definitely try and get off in one of the first groups and get the 11am train.

Thanks Pete for posting a pix it is great to put things in perspective.

I am a little nervous as not only as it my first cruise but first time to Europe and traveling by myself so this forum has been invaluable for all the advice.

Really appreciate everyone's reviews and time taken to post responses.

Thanks again

Bronwyn