Standard Food in MDR

philsuarez

There is steak on the alternative menu, but that menu is not printed and the waiter will not tell you .

The alternative are Shrimp cocktail (big shrimp) as an appetizer, strip NY steak, salmon and grilled chicken . No desert .

You have to ask for the alternatives. I do not know why they are "secret" but they are there, and I often ask for alternatives. It is the same at breakfast, I have a bowl of mixed berries almost every cruise at breakfast, but you will not find that on the menu either.

There is steak on the alternative menu, but that menu is not printed and the waiter will not tell you ...
That should read "may not" as I (and several of my friends & family) have been told of "off-menu" alternatives on a few voyages without prompting, but not on others.

One cannot say "will not" unless one has been on every table at every meal on every voyage. Just because one person has not been offered the extra items, does not also mean that every other passenger has not.

"If you were not there, you cannot know what happened" I seem to remember someone saying here more than once.

One of the reasons I may not have been told on every trip is because often several stewards or maitre 'd remember me and know that I know the options without constantly needing a reminder.

I'm sure Jimsgirl is recognised as well (even if she doesn't remember her servers from previous trips) ... which could explain why she isn't constantly reminded at every evening meal (which would get repetitious) as there is no need.

(Interestingly, the items available "off menu" in the Britannia Restaurant (steak, chicken, salmon) are often the same items printed on menu in Britannia Club to give the "extra" choices available here).

A friend, who likes his steaks "blue" has been served his choice cooked to perfection. I like mine "rare" and have yet to be disappointed with the result.

I hope this helps. Have the most wonderful time :).

Edited by pepperrn

A few years ago we had a fussy eater at our table. Every evening the Head Waiter discussed the next day's menu with him and almost everyday the gentleman had the same pre-ordered meal of a chicken breast, a vegetable and fries. There was no problem doing this and a steak could be substituted for chicken.

We were able to get fresh fruit, jello, and vanilla ice cream off-menu for dessert. I also had a Caesar Salad off-menu when none of the salad choices appealed.
I called two friends just now, part of a group of four who did a twelve day cruise a little while back.

Like you they asked for alternatives for dessert, simple dishes.

As with your experience, the stewards and galley were almost always able to help, or offer something else if not.

They even managed, by asking the night before, to get something really special to celebrate a birthday.

I think, many times, it comes down to how stewards are approached.

Demand things... and you may never see them.

Treat people politely, decently, and often, if they can, they will.

Best wishes to you, and many happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

Slightly off topic but horribly - how are the steaks? Are they something you could recommend?

The regular steaks were ok. The fillets were delicious. They were very good about getting the steak the way you liked it and whisked it away and promptly replaced it if not cooked to your satisfaction.

I think, many times, it comes down to how stewards are approached.

Demand things... and you may never see them.

Treat people politely, decently, and often, if they can, they will.

Best wishes to you, and many happy sailings for the future :)

I agree. We always approached it as, "Is it possible to get...?" and in all but one case (they had run out of something), it was.

I believe I read that you have a cruise coming up soon. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Kathi

You can get almost anything by asking nicely! :D

The steaks were quite good, try to get the fillet if possible, it's excellent every time! My husband had steak at the Todd English but he said it's not as good as in the MDR.

My husband eats the salmon during breakfast with a dill & mustard sauce. He asked if it's available, of course not. The head waiter said if he knows what's in the sauce, the chef can make it. Then, we have a small pot of this sauce at our breakfast table every day. :D

We had a very good chocolate cake for dessert one evening. The next evening, we asked if they still have that cake. They checked and said yes, still a few pieces left. We had the cake for dessert again, and they even sent 2 more pieces to our room, and I got the recipe the next day! :cool:

The wait staff can change with each cruise, waiters new to Cunard often do not even know there are alternatives to the Britannia menu. On my recent cruise B2B2B, I had 3 different sets of waiters, one was quite familiar with the alternatives, but sets 2 and 3 did not know such things existed.

No one "demanded" the alternatives, it was a case of lack of training. Cunard management now think that staff can be changed not only between the 3 Queens , but with other ships under the Carnival banner. It is not a surprise to learn that the waiter just cannot remember which ship can offer which dish.

It can also be observed that the size of the portions can vary, at the same meal , on the same table, served by same waiter. One night a portion of "fried Brie" was about 1 inch square, whilst on the same night on the same table, a portion was over twice that size.

I had the same drink every night in the same bar, but it changed taste quite often even with the same bar tender, it seems there is no Quality Control on Cunard.

Of course there is also a variation between Britannia Main dining room, Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill, it really is necessary to define which dining room is the one mentioned in the posting.

In the Britannia restaurant on the QV in May the food was fantastic on formal nights but very mediocre on the rest of the nights.

Someone at our table asked for the off menu steak and was told that you had to give 24 hours notice.

We have asked for a plate of steamed vegetables every night on longer voyages. Also, fruit plate for either pudding or starter.

I agree that the dining room staff can be very accommodating.

If you talk to the supervisor of your section/time in the dining room, you can arrange to see the evening menu a day in advance and make special requests----particularly if you have a special need---like you are vegetarian or have food allergies.

Have a great voyage!

... I believe I read that you have a cruise coming up soon. Hope you have a wonderful time! Kathi
Thank you Scrapnana (Kathi :) ),

Yes, on QM2 for a mini cruise, at the same time as a lovely lady from across the pond, first met on QM2 in 2006 on a WB TA.

Although I've had the honour of meeting her in the UK several times since, this the first time we will both have been on QM2, at the same time, since then.

I am very much looking forward to seeing two great ladies on 4th September ;)

Thank you again :) .

On our very first QM2 trip, we were seated at a table for 8 with only two older British ladies. They were absolutely charming and we decided not to mention this odd seating arrangement.

Absolutely charming until the second evening when the entree arrived...over cooked. This genteel lady slammed her fist on the table....told the waiter loudly, in no uncertain terms, that this was unacceptable and she wanted a replacement immediately. Then she turned to me and said, in a lovely little voice, "so dear, are you enjoying your trip". I was stunned and speechless.

On our very first QM2 trip, we were seated at a table for 8 with only two older British ladies. They were absolutely charming and we decided not to mention this odd seating arrangement.

Absolutely charming until the second evening when the entree arrived...over cooked. This genteel lady slammed her fist on the table....told the waiter loudly, in no uncertain terms, that this was unacceptable and she wanted a replacement immediately. Then she turned to me and said, in a lovely little voice, "so dear, are you enjoying your trip". I was stunned and speechless.

Great tidbit.

We were able to get fresh fruit, jello, and vanilla ice cream off-menu for dessert. I also had a Caesar Salad off-menu when none of the salad choices appealed.

We always ask for a sorbet intermezzo between app & dinner. Nice way to cleanse the palate.

So, Margaret Thatcher was at your table?

Edited by keithm
spelling

Thank you Scrapnana (Kathi :) ),

Yes, on QM2 for a mini cruise, at the same time as a lovely lady from across the pond, first met on QM2 in 2006 on a WB TA.

Although I've had the honour of meeting her in the UK several times since, this the first time we will both have been on QM2, at the same time, since then.

I am very much looking forward to seeing two great ladies on 4th September ;)

Thank you again :) .

Oh Dear!! - note to self. Lock my evil twin in the cabin while we are having dinner so when the photographers interrupt just as the entrée has been delivered I will behave myself and not embarrass my dinner companion.