Hot tub water cleanliness

NavyCruiser

Never, ever, ever do we use the hot tubs or the pool on a cruise ship. I choose not to plunge into other's waste.

I agree with you. I've been on 32 cruises with Carnival and I think I was in the hot tub maybe twice. Never in the pool.

Gary.

Edited by Shipbound

We had a pool and hot tub for years. We had many teenage parties in them and I can tell you what the water looked like the next day!! We have a hot tub now but it is just my husband and myself so it is not difficult to maintain. We have been on 6 cruises and have never gotten into the pools mainly because of the overcrowding. With that many people in a pool there is no way it can be kept clean, especially by the end of the day. We have gotten into a hot tub once but there were just another couple in the it but I still felt uneasy.

I have been on a number of cruises, but I have never heard the following sentence spoken by someone in a hot tub or pool who was ten or under: "I will be right back, I have to use the bathroom."

I am by no beans a power user in this forum

But u bet if someone created a anonymous poll on who has urinated in a pool or hot tub either by purpose or accident t the results would be shocking

I have personally seen 10 college aged cruisers that were in the hot tub for several hours, drinking many buckets of beer. Not once did they get up to go to the restroom.

Have to ask...why were you watching college kids in a hot tub for several hours, monitoring their actions? Seems a bit creepy to me.

Sometimes when I read threads like this I wonder, why do you even leave your home? :confused:

Well, my purpose for leaving my home is certainly not to simmer in people soup, marinating in the pathogens and filth of others.:cool: Trust me, I manage to have a very good time on my cruises without that.

That's just gross! I don't even want to believe that all kids 10 and under pee in a pool/hot tub. I have a 10 and 7 year old and NEVER would they do this. Not ALL kids are disrespectful. Back in May we went to disney world and my kids occasionally did run to the bathroom while enjoying the pool and hot tub at our resort. Peeing in a pool isn't even an option....blaaah!

Sorry if I offended anyone - it was just a joke (recycled from a carnival comedian in the comedy club).:o

That's just gross! I don't even want to believe that all kids 10 and under pee in a pool/hot tub. I have a 10 and 7 year old and NEVER would they do this. Not ALL kids are disrespectful. Back in May we went to disney world and my kids occasionally did run to the bathroom while enjoying the pool and hot tub at our resort. Peeing in a pool isn't even an option....blaaah!

Coming from a big family, and as a mother of 3 and grandmother, I'm telling you that you are totally deluding yourself if you seriously think your kids "NEVER would do this."

One thing I have learned after raising kids is to never say that my darlings would "never" do something!:rolleyes:

KIds are kids are kids.......

These threads are so funny. People are so uptight about stuff.

We swim in the hot tub (rarely the pool due to crowding and the fact that it is too salty) every single day on a cruise. We have a blast, the kids love it, and yes they ask to be taken to the restroom when the urge arises.

None of us have ever gotten sick, diseases, nothing…

I am one of the most non germaphobe people you will ever meet. I can't even recall the last time I had a cold or any kind of virus for that matter.

My sister in law and her husband are super germaphobes. The kind that don't touch anything, use hand sanitizer every time anything even gets close to them, won't drink from a soda can, etc…you name it, they do it…I sware one of them are sick about every other month.

Yet they get grossed out if I drop something on the ground, pick it up and eat it… :rolleyes:

Coming from a big family, and as a mother of 3 and grandmother, I'm telling you that you are totally deluding yourself if you seriously think your kids "NEVER would do this."

One thing I have learned after raising kids is to never say that my darlings would "never" do something!:rolleyes:

KIds are kids are kids.......

I didn't say my kids never do anything bad. My kids do know that you pee in a toilet. They do know that a pool is for swimming in. Like I said, peeing in a pool/hot tub isn't even an option in my family. It's disgusting to think of all those parents out there who don't seem to care if their kids are doing this and think it's a big joke. You raise your kids right, and chances are, they'll grow up respectful.

I didn't say my kids never do anything bad. My kids do know that you pee in a toilet. They do know that a pool is for swimming in. Like I said, peeing in a pool/hot tub isn't even an option in my family. It's disgusting to think of all those parents out there who don't seem to care if their kids are doing this and think it's a big joke. You raise your kids right, and chances are, they'll grow up respectful.

Of course they eventually grow up with good values and mature sensibilities.

But when they are younger, and have not yet developed good impulse control, just knowing something is frowned upon is not the same thing as not doing it! Geez. :cool:

We just got off the Magic Sunday. Our balcony was on deck 6 and right below us on deck 5 were the lanai hottubs. we were between the 2 on our starboard side, one being right next to our balcony. every single night, we saw that they roped off the hottubs, drained them and cleaned them and filled back up just enough to run chemicals. in the morning, they'd fully drain again, wash and fill up for usage. the signs on the ropes said "stay out. high chlorination process". they were closed from 9pm-11am.

We never went in them, though. not because of germs or any of that (we're so not paranoid about that stuff!) but because kid were always in them. We'd go up to the Serenity deck and use the ones up there. no kids!! i remember on my 1st cruise 11 years ago on the Jubilee, there were signs all over the place by the hottubs that said "adults only. no one under 18 allowed". the ones under 18 did get in anyway, but got in trouble and were told to leave! i think it should still be like that!

and there were fresh water showers next to every hottub on the ship with signs that said "You must rinse off before getting in the hottub" (or something like that)

but, i will say that the water was not hot enough for me. felt luke warm. i like my water HOT LoL

Of course they eventually grow up with good values and mature sensibilities.

But when they are younger, and have not yet developed good impulse control, just knowing something is frowned upon is not the same thing as not doing it! Geez. :cool:

Reminds me of a story from my pool operating days:

A mother came up to one of the lifeguards of a pool I operated and forced her kid apologize for peeing in the pool, then asked the lifeguard what he was going to do about it... Lifeguard laughed and said nothing, half the people in the pool are currently peeing... I got a strongly written letter about how she was going to the CDC and other agencies to get the pool shut down.

Urine in pools does nothing in limited quantities. What it does do, is make running a pool more expensive as it messes with some chemicals. If a ton of people go into a pool and pee at the same time and the pool is indoor, it may be possible for people to get lung irritation and maybe even sick. Urine combines with chlorine to form trichloramine and cyanogen chloride. The gas from these can be dangerous in large quantities. Pools with lots of urine may also give off a chlorine smell.

Reminds me of a story from my pool operating days:

A mother came up to one of the lifeguards of a pool I operated and forced her kid apologize for peeing in the pool, then asked the lifeguard what he was going to do about it... Lifeguard laughed and said nothing, half the people in the pool are currently peeing... I got a strongly written letter about how she was going to the CDC and other agencies to get the pool shut down.

Urine in pools does nothing in limited quantities. What it does do, is make running a pool more expensive as it messes with some chemicals. If a ton of people go into a pool and pee at the same time and the pool is indoor, it may be possible for people to get lung irritation and maybe even sick. Urine combines with chlorine to form trichloramine and cyanogen chloride. The gas from these can be dangerous in large quantities. Pools with lots of urine may also give off a chlorine smell.

Hahaha!:p

I'm a nurse, and I remember from Nursing 101: urine is actually sterile.

Doesn't really make the thought of swimming in it any more palatable, though, does it?:o

Bacteria from elsewhere on your body, or the body of anyone else along with the hot water causes the bacteria to grow. Usually the ship keeps the hot tubs lukewarm and it may be because of this factor.

Another thing you can do is immediately rinse off after getting out of the hot tub, washing away as much of the bacteria as possible.

I don't stress too much about it. I think there are more germs on the elevator buttons and stair rails than in the hot tub!

These threads are so funny. People are so uptight about stuff.

We swim in the hot tub (rarely the pool due to crowding and the fact that it is too salty) every single day on a cruise. We have a blast, the kids love it, and yes they ask to be taken to the restroom when the urge arises.

None of us have ever gotten sick, diseases, nothing…

I am one of the most non germaphobe people you will ever meet. I can't even recall the last time I had a cold or any kind of virus for that matter.

My sister in law and her husband are super germaphobes. The kind that don't touch anything, use hand sanitizer every time anything even gets close to them, won't drink from a soda can, etc…you name it, they do it…I sware one of them are sick about every other month.

Yet they get grossed out if I drop something on the ground, pick it up and eat it… :rolleyes:

That was my point (not to be snarky). People need to get a grip. Funny you mention your sister in law and her hubby because I have a brother in law and both him and his wife are the same way with the hand sanitizer and they are always sick! My hubby and I - just about never.

I work for a company that sells safety supplies and even the vendors that sell the hand sanitizers say it is not that good to use it all the time.

As for the food on the ground.... who hasn't heard of the 5 second rule! :D

That was my point (not to be snarky). People need to get a grip. Funny you mention your sister in law and her hubby because I have a brother in law and both him and his wife are the same way with the hand sanitizer and they are always sick! My hubby and I - just about never.

I work for a company that sells safety supplies and even the vendors that sell the hand sanitizers say it is not that good to use it all the time.

As for the food on the ground.... who hasn't heard of the 5 second rule! :D

My SIL is turning her kids into neurotic messes. Her oldest daughter will not touch a drink that anyone else (family) has touched. Got her a bottle of water in grand cayman. Her sister asked for a drink so I let her have a drink, and then the oder one start crying because she couldn't drink it now…uggh…really??

My son offered her a piece of gum in the car on the way to the cruise, he then dropped it on the car seat, picked it up and handed it to her. Her response, "EWWWW OMG, IM NOT EATING THAT!!" lol…My son was so confused and upset.

I took it and rubbed it on the carpet and ate it just to gross her out…lol… :p

People used to eat raw flesh and sleep in the dirt for centuries…I think I'm going to be ok.

Edited by EnTnSA

People used to eat raw flesh and sleep in the dirt for centuries…I think I'm going to be ok.

right?! last week on our cruise, walking from the lido cafe to our table out on deck, my son dropped his bacon 3 times. picked it up each time and carried on. ate it all once at the table!

its the people i know who are freaks about germs, sick the most and are ALWAYS at the dr or in the ER with something wrong. my family, who eats food off the floor, doesnt even own anti bacterial gel/soap/wipes or pocket-bac? never sick! the only time our son is even at his dr's office is for his yearly well visit, and they are even impressed with our lack of visits!!

Doesn't really make the thought of swimming in it any more palatable, though, does it?:o

Yeah, my original CPO instructor told us horror stories of what bad pool operations were like and that even the best kept pool is only one moron/child away from being contaminated. There isn't any real risk from urine in pools, it simply messes with chemicals and makes running a pool more expensive.

The hot tubs on the ship are deliberately not hot for 2 reasons (both of them health related):

1- Maintaining a hot tub is extremely difficult especially one with a high bather load. Increased temperature makes keeping chemicals right even more difficult and thus makes it harder to keep water in balance.

2- Adults and Children tend to sit in the hot tubs on ship far too long. Adults also tend to drink alcohol in hot tubs. Both of these cause overheating and dehydration.

I would guess that the hottest hot tub on the ship would be around 95 degrees give or take a few degrees.

Sorry but while that was taught years ago today's medicine states the urine is not sterile even before the uretha