Shore Excursions for Limited Mobility

slickriptide

Hello, all. New member here.

The DW and I are sailing on the Westerdam on Aug 30 out of Seattle. Our stopovers are nine hours in Juneau 1pm arrival, eight hours in Sitka 7am arrival, and six hours in Ketchikan 7am arrival.

She has back and hip problems and as a result is limited mostly to activities involving short walking distances, or at least plenty of opportunities to stop and rest and move at her own pace. (Shopping seems to break those rules at times, though, *laugh*)

We plan to stay on board in Victoria, as we'll be arriving in the evening and we are well acquainted with that city already.

Long story short -- I'm looking for recommendations for shore excursions that aren't too taxing physically. She's particularly interested in Sitka - That's really why we're on the Westerdam. Holland America is the only major cruise line visiting Sitka this year, it seems, aside from the pricey National Geographic and other rich people specialty cruises. ;-)

I highly recommend a boat tour out of Sitka. Excellent varied wildlife sighting opportunities along with endless scenery. Otherwise,there is a loop shuttle bus, that does hit the sights. If you haven't find out what is available and what is of most interest. Then find out the transportation options.

As for other ports, all involve walking, again, what touring are you looking for? Determine this first, then you can get detailed recommendations.

The DW and I are sailing on the Westerdam on Aug 30 out of Seattle. Our stopovers are nine hours in Juneau 1pm arrival, eight hours in Sitka 7am arrival, and six hours in Ketchikan 7am arrival.

Long story short -- I'm looking for recommendations for shore excursions that aren't too taxing physically. She's particularly interested in Sitka - That's really why we're on the Westerdam. Holland America is the only major cruise line visiting Sitka this year, it seems, aside from the pricey National Geographic and other rich people specialty cruises. ;-)

I just returned from the Westerdam two weeks ago and would recommend the following excursion that require little walking:

Sitka - Otters, Raptors, Bears Oh My!. You will be picked up by the excursion boat right from the ship. After the boat portion (with window seats), you board a bus for a visit to Fortress of the Bears (requires walking up about 15 steps to the bear viewing stand, and then a visit to a raptor rehabilitation center that requires very little walking (seated portion with a live eagle and handler). A bus returns you to the tender dock.

Ketchikan - Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad with eagle feeding (great pics). There is about a 50 yard walk to the boat that features bleachers.

Juneau - Any whale-watching excursion will be picked up by bus at the dock and taken to the boat dock. Avoid any of the whale tours with any other portions.

All of the daily and specialty restaurant menus and daily activities for your cruise are available in scanned PDF format on my website. These can be copied to a tablet/PC.

As a new HAL cruiser and you would like a copy of my HAL travel tips, contact me via my website Contact Form.

Edited by Crew News

She has back and hip problems and as a result is limited mostly to activities involving short walking distances, or at least plenty of opportunities to stop and rest and move at her own pace. (Shopping seems to break those rules at times, though, *laugh*)

We plan to stay on board in Victoria, as we'll be arriving in the evening and we are well acquainted with that city already.

In Ketchikan we were able to catch a cab right across the street from the Visitor Center. We went to Cape Fox Lodge, enjoyed the totem poles, then had a bite to eat at a window table in the restaurant. The view was great -- looking through the trees to the water. My friend with mobility problems took the funicular to Creek Street to do a bit of shopping. I walked to the Totem Heritage Center then back to the ship. The others shopped Creek Street then grabbed a cab back to the ship.

I've done the Otter Quest in Sitka a couple of times (through the ship) and always enjoyed it. I honestly cannot remember what the seating was like on it, not sure if it would be comfortable enough for someone with hip and back problems. Fair-sized boat though with real seats, IIRC.

Edited by CowPrincess

Many of us have been to Alaska multiple times - the joys of living in Vancouver.:D You will find all the answers you need here, and Budget Queen is a fund of information. My DH is mobility-challenged too. If you look at the excursions listed for your cruise on the HAL website, there will be an indication against each of how challenging it is. Have fun!