Juneau attractions with car rental

ryan243444

I am going on a Celebrity cruise and we will be in Juneau from 7 am to 830 pm. We have rented a car and will not be doing any organized tours. I've attached the info that the car rental company sent of Juneau with attractions listed. There are eight of us with different interests, but in general we like nature and scenery. There is a three year old so we can't do things like walk on a glacier. I have three questions: #1) Is it reasonable to tackle all the activities on the attached list under the heading "out the road" in the time we have? #2) Any activities that are not worth it or alternatively ones that aren't to be missed (I think we will definitely be going to the glacier and nugget falls trail). & #3) Any activities not on the list that should be?

Thank you very much for any help, this board and it's users have helped me plan so much up until now and for this I thank all of you!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126719529@N03/14845840701/player/

juneau.jpg.95eca96749ea447272cf4911e3c83b35.jpg

Edited by ryan243444

I am going on a Celebrity cruise and we will be in Juneau from 7 am to 830 pm. We have rented a car and will not be doing any organized tours. I've attached the info that the car rental company sent of Juneau with attractions listed. There are eight of us with different interests, but in general we like nature and scenery. There is a three year old so we can't do things like walk on a glacier. I have three questions: #1) Is it reasonable to tackle all the activities on the attached list under the heading "out the road" in the time we have? #2) Any activities that are not worth it or alternatively ones that aren't to be missed (I think we will definitely be going to the glacier and nugget falls trail). & #3) Any activities not on the list that should be?

Thank you very much for any help, this board and it's users have helped me plan so much up until now and for this I thank all of you!

verify if the State Museum has opened, it was closed. The list is tough to read, and not sure if Chapel on the Lake is listed, but a worthwhile quick stop, if of interest.

The list has highlights, determine YOUR interests. :)

you can click to enlarge this map. But it shows the limited amount of roads in Juneau .... I mean the furthest drive is 50 miles and that's from downtown to End of The Road. You have time.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/juneau_area_map.php

and you might enjoy Douglas Island too. Such as this place:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070455&highlight=ski

Edited by mapleleaves

I can't read your list, it's too fuzzy, but we were in Juneau this past May from 7-8. We got married on a glacier, so we were on the ship getting ready until we tendered around 10:30. We were done with our wedding around 1 pm and back at the airport. Our photographer had a rental and took us around Juneau from 1pm - 7pm and we were able to stop at: The Juneau Mine Ruins (had time to walk around the old buildings and beach part); The end of the road, we actually took a turn before some road work and found a small beach with rocks; a small park (again near the end of the road, but with a lake and beautiful views; we went to the "ski resort" just to take a peak and see what was there; had time to stop in a locals joint to pick up sandwiches to eat; had half an hour to watch bears cross the road; stopped at the Herbert River sign to get pics (we got married on the herbert glacier); Mendenhall Glacier; and we had time to run into the Red Dog Saloon and grab a beer. If you like nature and scenery, I would check out the mine ruins. It was one of our favorite spots....

Bubniak-Heacock_0725.jpg.c18afd73c2aceef4639147c14bc69c77.jpg

Bubniak-Heacock_1168.jpg.5cc200bfcc0c41fe636f82c04988261e.jpg

Bubniak-Heacock_0840.jpg.638e44430d80c40fedd659c5f2e140e1.jpg

Bubniak-Heacock_1028.jpg.6265515c1a23e572be6a1b668a3c0b96.jpg

We only have 100 miles of road. You have time. :D

I'm a big one for meals. Decide if you're going to breakfast on your ship, and want to be back for dinner. That will dictate how much time you have. You don't want to bother trying to park downtown just to get lunch and all the touring will be away from downtown.

Get the map from the car company, or open up the app on your phone. (YES, your phone will work in Juneau.) I'd start up Basin Road, right there downtown. It goes up to the old mining area and has some beautiful views. There's a mining museum, but the hours are utterly incomprehensible. If you're reasonably mobile, go up by the museum, even if it's not open, to see the little train tracks and train ruins. Watch the child!

This drive involves steep streets, narrow, one lane wide but two way streets. You can pass the Russian Orthodox church. Put the most confident driver at the wheel.

Over to Douglas Island and Douglas the town. The road ends at a trailhead for more mining ruins. Easy, fairly level trail. On the way back toward Douglas, if you turn at the Montessori school (white old building, former Indian school) you can go to Sandy Beach, which is where the ruins from ckb's picture are. There's also a nice playground for the child run around for a bit. Beach is very nice as well. Back toward Juneau and you choose to drive out North Douglas Island. There's some very nice views of the wetlands and glacier from this drive. You can also drive up to the ski resort for more gorgeous views and hikes.

If you go back over the bridge, start heading away from town. There's the glacier, of course, and then just keep driving. Endless opportunities for simple walks, not just hikes, beach walking, views, etc. Just be warned that the last food, water, gas is at Auke Bay. From there, the end of the road is at least another 20 miles, so plan accordingly. You can pick up food to eat Out the Road or dine there.

If you have any specific questions or wants, just post. I'll answer.

And the state museum is closed until 2016.

tee_harbor - we will be staying in Juneau a day and a half and would like to know if their is a place to fish for a few hours? Something close to town maybe.. we will have a rental car for a day as well..

tee_harbor - we will be staying in Juneau a day and a half and would like to know if their is a place to fish for a few hours? Something close to town maybe.. we will have a rental car for a day as well..

Do you have your own gear? If not, there's only one place to rent that I know of, by the DIPAC, the fish hatchery, which is at the first stop light after you drive away from town. I'll check to see if it's still there, but it was a little shack that rented gear, and of course, it's right there where the fish return.

If you're bringing your own, you fish anywhere there's the ocean (there's more regs for fresh water fishing). If fact, you can come to the Fish and Game headquarters, right by the bridge, buy your license, check the reg book and go fishing in the channel by the bridge.