Safe usage and Victoria cabs?

Question about safe usage on the Amsterdam. Is a card used for the safe or a combination?

Also, does anyone know if there is a cab that will schedule a short tour of Victoria and drop at the Empress. Then is it easy to get a cab back to the terminal? Or is it a safe, easy walk back to the terminal?

One more week and we start our journey!!! Thanks!

Question about safe usage on the Amsterdam. Is a card used for the safe or a combination?

Also, does anyone know if there is a cab that will schedule a short tour of Victoria and drop at the Empress. Then is it easy to get a cab back to the terminal? Or is it a safe, easy walk back to the terminal?

The safes are accessed via a combination. You set it upon your first access. There are plenty of cabs available at the Pier in Victoria, however, it is a relative short walk from the Empress back to the pier, if you don't have any mobility issues. And, it is a very safe neighborhood.

Here's a website that you might find useful: http://victoriacruise.ca/

While the walk back would be safe, it would take you a good 45 minutes, possibly more. Getting a cab back won't be a problem, but I can't comment on booking one to provide a tour. Google is your friend. :)

I think Amsterdam usually comes in at 1 p.m.

I haven't walked the route, so don't know about timing, but I think you could certainly get a taxi driver to take you around Beacon Hill Park, maybe to Chinatown, and then back to the Inner Harbour (where the Empress Hotel is), there are also tiny "ferry" boats which take people around the Inner Harbour and the Gorge Waterway. Should be fun. I'm never a tourist here unless we have visitors.:)

Do cabs and shops accept American currency or do we have to convert dollars? Or is it best just to use a credit card?

They will be happy to accept US currency, but probably not at a particularly favourable rate of exchange. You are more likely to get a better rate from your credit card provider, and if it's one that doesn't charge a transaction fee, so much the better. Most major cards are accepted.

You set the combination every time you close it, and need not be the same each time.

Yes, to re-lock the safe you enter the code, or more specifically A code... I hit the wrong key once and didn't notice so the good news was the safe was locked... the bad news was I didn't know which keys would unlock it. I had to call front desk and have security come. They were most gracious. I'd bet it happens every day but they smile and help us through our blunders. :) m--

i think amsterdam usually comes in at 1 p.m.

I haven't walked the route, so don't know about timing, but i think you could certainly get a taxi driver to take you around beacon hill park, maybe to chinatown, and then back to the inner harbour (where the empress hotel is), there are also tiny "ferry" boats which take people around the inner harbour and the gorge waterway. Should be fun. I'm never a tourist here unless we have visitors.:)

lol