ES-price down but taxes/port charges up

CasaM

We booked Early Saver and are beyond final payment. The price has gone down so I called to get an OBC. Rep said although the price is down, the taxes/port charges are up and it would actually cost more, so no OBC for me. She said they have no control over the taxes/port charges.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

We booked Early Saver and are beyond final payment. The price has gone down so I called to get an OBC. Rep said although the price is down, the taxes/port charges are up and it would actually cost more, so no OBC for me. She said they have no control over the taxes/port charges.

I haven't personally, but have seen several people say the same recently. I still don't understand how it all works, exactly, but you're definitely not alone.

Several people on my roll call have reported this as well. Certainly not alone, major bummer though :(

Same thing happened to me on Tuesday. Price went down $55.00 pp, so I called and got an OBC of $82.00 instead of $110.00 because the port charges went up $28.00. Not sure why, but I am still happy with the OBC anyway.

Yes, encountered similar thing yesterday.

Our cruise rate dropped $50. Called, and was given the price match, but the resulting OBC was only $44 because taxes/fees had gone up $6.

Still, every little bit helps!;)

Yes, this is true. The "best" way to determine what you will get for OBC is do a mock booking up to the point where you select a similar cabin on the same deck. Then compare the total on the right to what you paid. This will include any deck upgrades and the current taxes/fees. If the total is lower, contact (call) Carnival and request a price drop.

That happened to us a couple of years go. Now if I see a drop in cabin price on Fareviewer, I always do a mock booking to see if/how much fees and taxes went up. I read where one lady got the small price drop granted and her total cost actually went up, but they did not tell her that.