Silhouette Propulsion Issue & Itinerary Changes

Mac4YYZ

We were on Silhouette last week. We were 1 hour later arriving both in Kotor and Santorini, of which we were informed a couple of weeks before our cruise via our TA. The night before arriving in Santorini, the captain announced that they would delay departure there as well by one hour. So total hours in Santorini was still same.

We wouldn t know why Celebrity should have offered a compensation for arriving 1 hour late. These things happen. We had cruises when we arrived earlier as well, should X have charged us a bit more then ? :rolleyes:

And by-the-way, for those interested : we had another fantastic cruise. Yes there were some cuts and changes, but overall product is still plenty good enough for us.

Who was the hostess on the Silhouette? Thank you!

I notice you are relatively new to Cruise Critic, and perhaps are new to how cruise lines work and the nuances of their terms and conditions, and contracts of carriage and their guarantees of product and services (or lack thereof).

I agree with you. And it's not that big of a deal. It's just annoying that the line has known for some time about this. A gesture of a $50 OBC would be nice.

The now scheduled Dry Dock in January is happening at Grand Bahama. Seeing the ship is spending its summer cruising Europe and the Med, it was not possible to do a dry dock until after its TA in the fall, let alone actually swapping with companies that already have Dry Dock time booked, there is only so many Dry Docks that can handle a ship the size of the S Class. Would a better solution for you have been cancelling multiple cruises now to bring the ship back to Grand Bahama or did they do the right thing by changing few port times by 30 minutes to an hour? Seems to me that they choose the route that would impact the least amount of passengers while keeping everyone's safety in mind...

Does anyone really know the exact problem? Are they using all engines at reduced speed or are they operating on one?

I am considering booking the western Nov trip immediately after it returns on the transatlantic.

That is long sustained cruise and based upon what the real problem is - will they make it to January..

SO - if there are any propulsion engineers who are current on this topic, what do you think?

Better yet- what does Celebrity say about this issue...

Does anyone really know the exact problem? Are they using all engines at reduced speed or are they operating on one?

I am considering booking the western Nov trip immediately after it returns on the transatlantic.

That is long sustained cruise and based upon what the real problem is - will they make it to January..

SO - if there are any propulsion engineers who are current on this topic, what do you think?

Better yet- what does Celebrity say about this issue...

From what I have seen from Celebrity, the ship is still operating on all propulsion but one azipod has a cap in place that has reduced the top speeds they can run it at....