Mohogany Bay - chair lift question

carlissaandisaacsmommy

We will be in Mohogany Bay next week. I was thinking about doing Tabyana Beach, but since the "man made" beach is so close, I am thinking we will just stay at Mohogany Bay beach. I see on the Carnival website that we can rent a clamshell ahead of time for $39.99 for 2 people. I think we will do this for my husband and I.

- We have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. Since they don't need their own clamshell, should we just buy their chairlift ticket when we get there?

- Will both kids be $12/each for their chair lift ticket? If so, it may be better just to pay the extra $15 for the "excursion" through Carnival and let them have their own chairs. What do you think?

- I saw somewhere that a child has to be 32 inches to ride the chairlift. Our 2 year old is barely 32 inches. Are they really picky about that? If he's barely under 32, will they still let him ride?

We will be in Mohogany Bay next week. I was thinking about doing Tabyana Beach, but since the "man made" beach is so close, I am thinking we will just stay at Mohogany Bay beach. I see on the Carnival website that we can rent a clamshell ahead of time for $39.99 for 2 people. I think we will do this for my husband and I.

- We have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. Since they don't need their own clamshell, should we just buy their chairlift ticket when we get there?

- Will both kids be $12/each for their chair lift ticket? If so, it may be better just to pay the extra $15 for the "excursion" through Carnival and let them have their own chairs. What do you think?

- I saw somewhere that a child has to be 32 inches to ride the chairlift. Our 2 year old is barely 32 inches. Are they really picky about that? If he's barely under 32, will they still let him ride?

I would skip the chair lift and just walk to the beach. There are a lot of chairs in the shade at no cost just get off the ship asap to get a good location.

First, that's an awfully high price to pay for a clamshell. If you really need some protection though you may find it worth it. Second, the chair is overrated and way over priced. When Mahogany Bay first opened it was $5 and a bit overpriced even at that. While I agree with runner15km's advice on walking and skipping the chair left is good advice for adults, smaller children , especially 2 year olds, will find it to be a long way. Bring a collapsible stroller with you for the 2 year old. You'll need to get up the hill from the pier to the chair lift anyway and for the walk from the end of the lift to the actual beach. And you'll find it useful in other ports.

Assuming you only take a single beach tote with straps for putting around your shoulder, or a backpack, one of you can hold the stroller (collapsed) similar to how you would hold your skis on a ski lift. Same type of bench seats. Two large totes, two small kids and you might be a bit overwhelmed.

Interesting on the price.

We reserved a chair lift for our Princess cruise there in January. It was $10 pp. :)

LuLu

I think the cruise lines up these prices a bit when you book through them. Can't speak based on a recent visit, but in the past have noticed that there are fewer takers of the chair lift once cruisers see how short of a walk it is to the beach. So they need to raise prices to cover operating costs. And there's even a "scenic route" that goes over the hill behind Fat Tuesdays and around by the small dock where the catamarans pick up and drop off passengers.