Seattle post cruise, sightseeing prior to 6 PM Flight?

msmonaj

Without luggage we would taxi around. Suggestions, such as a towncar that stays with us but doesn't cost a fortune? And I heard of a cruise to airport luggage service? We have about 6 hours, maybe to museum in Tacoma? Thanks for any ideas.

if you want to explore on your own, take a taxi from pier 91 to pier 66 which is on the waterfront downtown (about $15). Check your luggage at the pier for $5 per bag. (It must be picked up by 3:30 which is when you would need to head to the airport anyway).

From pier 66 you can walk around the waterfront or walk to Pike Place Market. From the Market, walk 3 blocks to Westlake Center where you can catch the monorail to Seattle Center/Space Needle. Or take a taxi from the market to the Space Needle for $10-$12. Seattle is quite compact so a cab within town will be under $15.

When you;re done sightseeing, cab fare from downtown to the airport is fixed at $45.

You could try seattle shuttle or seattle express to see if they offer a short tour plus transfer to the airport. Or a tour company from the Seattle visitors web site:

http://www.seattle.gov/visiting/default.htm

p.s. check the Seattle forum of tripadvisor and look under TOP QUESTIONS.

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

I'm seeing a rental car from National for pick up on 9/20 at their downtown office (free shuttle from Pier 91) and drop off at Seatac airport later that day for $46 for a mid-size car. That would provide luggage storage, transport around town, and airport transport for less than the price of a towncar to the airport.

Mid-late September can sometimes be rainy here, so you might count it as weather protection, too. If you want, you could do a little road trip during the day, such as to Snoqualmie Falls, or the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, or visit Bainbridge or Vashon Islands, or some of Seattle's great neighborhoods. Easy peasy.

With a rental, be warned that parking downtown is very sparse and very expensive. Driving gives you the freedom to go where you want, but you may have to park 6 blocks away and pay $4-$6 per hour.

On day 3 we finally quit driving in, from our hotel near the airport, and took the light rail instead. Saved us money, and saved me a lot of walking.

Seattle was the least car friendly major city I have driven in. :(

Bob

I think a car rental is a great option. Seems like most people aren't willing to drive in an unfamiliar city. And I have to say, Seattle is a tough one with the one-way streets, construction, and congestion.

Given the high cost of parking, you might want to leave the car at the vendor's lot for the day. Do your paperwork, put luggage in the trunk, then take off. Seattle is very compact ... a cab anywhere in town won't cost more than $10-$12. Cheaper than parking! Pick up the car when you're ready to go to the airport.

Edited by mapleleaves