taxi from Lisbon port

Just sitting down in the taxi costs only 3.25 or 3.90 euro depending on the time. I think this includes the first Kilometer.

The Santa Apolonia port will be about 2 to 3 euros less than the Alcantara port.

They do charge I think a fee of 1.65 to use the baggage compartment, not per bag.

A Fare Notice will be posted in the back passenger window of any official taxi. Do not get in a taxi without name plate on top that shows a number 1, 2 or 3 next to sign when meter is on.

I liked taxis that had a number and the name Lisboa above the passenger side wheel well.

Make sure they use the meter. It will light with the start amount directly.

If you do not see the meter on, don't get in or get out of the taxi. I use many taxis in Lisbon and as long as meter is clear any odd routing they use might only add 1 or 2 euros, so not really in their interest unless traveling some distance.

I would guess 6 euro from Santa Apolonia and 8 euro from Alcantara to Rossio Square.

If any problem, ask for written receipt and record taxi number.

Taxis in Lisbon have been known to take cruise ship passengers "for a long ride" on various fares. It is always helpful to look at a map and have some idea where you are going (and the most direct route) and act like you are an old pro...and not a bewildered tourist :). The last time we grabbed a taxi at the Lisbon port it was to simply go to Senor Vinho for dinner. The taxi took a longer route and we made it clear that we knew what he was doing. We only paid him a portion of the meter and suggested that if he had a problem we could let the Police work it out :). There was no problem.

Hank