Changing cabin arrangements

Invincible

We booked a few months ago now to cruise on Azura with our 2 granddaughters aged 12&14, as sisters are at that age they didn't want to share a cabin and as we were booking 2 cabins anyway they agreed that one would share with each of us. Our travel agent at the time assured us that P&O allowed children to share a cabin and we could change the arrangements at any time even when we got on board if needed. Now with a week to go they do want to share a cabin, we phoned our agent who contacted P&O and reported back to us that this is now something we can only do at check in or on board, does anyone know if this is going to cause us a problem. We know we can get around it by swapping cards but then we will be carrying someone else's card and it's not very satisfactory.

I doubt very much that P&O are going to let two children that age sleep on their own in a cabin. At the very least, there are issues such as what happens in an emergency. The exception might be if the two cabins are next door to each other and have an interconnecting door.

Edited by Host Sharon

I actually wrote to David Dingle about children under 16 being allowed to share a cabin, I was advised it was not permitted and the booking system wouldn't allow it..I did a dummy booking and it let me and I know of many people bragging on Facebook pages about their children being in separate cabins, sometimes on a different deck, I am appalled, I actually think it's against the law it's no different from leaving your children home alone and going out for an evening.

I intend going back to David Dingle on this..it's just wrong in so many ways...say there was a costa Concordia sort of disaster and children were on a different deck etc? It doesn't bear thinking about.

We booked a few months ago now to cruise on Azura with our 2 granddaughters aged 12&14, as sisters are at that age they didn't want to share a cabin and as we were booking 2 cabins anyway they agreed that one would share with each of us. Our travel agent at the time assured us that P&O allowed children to share a cabin and we could change the arrangements at any time even when we got on board if needed. Now with a week to go they do want to share a cabin, we phoned our agent who contacted P&O and reported back to us that this is now something we can only do at check in or on board, does anyone know if this is going to cause us a problem. We know we can get around it by swapping cards but then we will be carrying someone else's card and it's not very satisfactory.

When our 2 boys were the same age, we always had two separate cabins, but they were either next door or opposite ours. I don't think there will be any problems changing once on-board, but I wouldn't be too happy if they were not nearby.

I actually wrote to David Dingle about children under 16 being allowed to share a cabin, I was advised it was not permitted and the booking system wouldn't allow it..I did a dummy booking and it let me and I know of many people bragging on Facebook pages about their children being in separate cabins, sometimes on a different deck, I am appalled, I actually think it's against the law it's no different from leaving your children home alone and going out for an evening.

I intend going back to David Dingle on this..it's just wrong in so many ways...say there was a costa Concordia sort of disaster and children were on a different deck etc? It doesn't bear thinking about.

Like you Midsomer Madness I am absolutely shocked that you can book children into a separate cabin...the online booking system certainly needs to be rectified. I am also shocked that parents/guardians think this is acceptable. Doesn't need to be a big disaster...what about balcony cabins..."children" get up to all sorts of antics when left to their own devices ....as you say doesn't bear thinking about. I know that when I take my grandchildren it is my responsibility to keep them safe. I don't think that I would be comfortable even with a connecting cabin..it would have to be a 4 bedded cabin or a suite otherwise one adult in each cabin

Quite so but if P&O say it is not acceptable and don't allow you to book that way...although their website does :confused:....then that should be accepted. To try and "flout" the rules doesn't seem quite right and who would be held to blame if anything did happen....doesn't need to be a major disaster.

With respect, I am puzzled as to why you are so concerned about a matter that obviously has no relevance to yourself, that you would contact David Dingle about it ?

It is fairly common practice amongst cruisers I have met, to book a couple of cabins to accommodate themselves and their children. Usually these are opposite or adjacent to each other but I really cannot see a problem with this, particularly with teenage children. 4 berth cabins can be exceptionally cramped with 2 adults and 2 teenagers who are most likely bigger than their parents ! The pricing system also does not help when it is sometimes to cheaper to book an inside and a balcony than to pay for 4 people to share one 4 berth balcony. This was certainly the case on our trip last month.

I will make it clear that at 7 & 11, my children are too young to have a cabin to themselves, and, as they fight like cat & dog, they probably never will :eek:. But I fully respect a parents / grandparents decision that their OWN child is perfectly sensible, capable and mature enough to spend a few hours asleep in a cabin without a major disaster occurring !!!!

I have to agree with Jeanlyon that at 12 & 14 the OP's granddaughters are not what I would class as " children" and would be OK to share. I really think that some adults don't have much contact with todays teenagers and perhaps underestimate how mature some of them are, particularly girls.

Quite so but if P&O say it is not acceptable and don't allow you to book that way...although their website does :confused:....then that should be accepted. To try and "flout" the rules doesn't seem quite right and who would be held to blame if anything did happen....doesn't need to be a major disaster.

P&O have never said that its not acceptable for children to share a cabin to us, and we have booked many times. From the age of 12 & 14 and in a cabin next door, is no different from being at home, if you have responsible children.

What annoys me is that children younger than that are in and around the pools without any supervision, but that's another story!

With respect, I am puzzled as to why you are so concerned about a matter that obviously has no relevance to yourself, that you would contact David Dingle about it ?

It is fairly common practice amongst cruisers I have met, to book a couple of cabins to accommodate themselves and their children. Usually these are opposite or adjacent to each other but I really cannot see a problem with this, particularly with teenage children. 4 berth cabins can be exceptionally cramped with 2 adults and 2 teenagers who are most likely bigger than their parents ! The pricing system also does not help when it is sometimes to cheaper to book an inside and a balcony than to pay for 4 people to share one 4 berth balcony. This was certainly the case on our trip last month.

I will make it clear that at 7 & 11, my children are too young to have a cabin to themselves, and, as they fight like cat & dog, they probably never will :eek:. But I fully respect a parents / grandparents decision that their OWN child is perfectly sensible, capable and mature enough to spend a few hours asleep in a cabin without a major disaster occurring !!!!

I have to agree with Jeanlyon that at 12 & 14 the OP's granddaughters are not what I would class as " children" and would be OK to share. I really think that some adults don't have much contact with todays teenagers and perhaps underestimate how mature some of them are, particularly girls.

Let's hope they stay asleep in their cabin then and don't suddenly get the urge to go out and about with other children in a similar position...as soon as something happens you can guarantee the parents won't admit to being at fault,,no it will all the fault of p&o!

Plus i wouldn't want to be in a cabin next door to unsupervised children.

I do believe you are classed as a minor up until the age of 18..

I believe it actually says on the p&o website that at least one person in a cabin has to be over the age of 16, therefore it is against the rules and regulations..that p&o don't seem to know what their own rules and regulations are though is of no surprise to me!

You should be able to get spare keys which act only as keycards, not as cruise cards. After all, it's perfectly reasonable that both parents should have access to both cabins.

As for the angst about children being in a separate bedroom (actually, this often happens at home as well - and the possiblilities if there is a house fire are equally unimaginable!) I shouldn't worry too much. You know your grandchildren better than we do. But my brothers' first overseas trip was when they were 14 and 12, and they travelled alone very competently. They were delivered to the ship in Harwich, collected at Esbjerg 24 hours later, and proved that it can be done without adults on board at all - so assuming your girls are competent to find your cabin if needed (!), I should think you'd be OK.

If people are so confident that it is OK for their children to be in a cabin on their own, not under the supervision of someone over 16, would they be prepared to sign a waiver for P&O absolving them of all responsibility ?

I suspect most people travelling with children already feel responsible for their safety. Few parents or grandparents would need to sign a document to make them take care.

I suspect most people travelling with children already feel responsible for their safety. Few parents or grandparents would need to sign a document to make them take care.

My point was about protecting P&O if the children were not being supervised by someone over the age of 16. All this about children being more grown up etc these days is all OK until something goes wrong. Then it will be P&Os fault.

Thank for the responses, I think in our case both girls are mature enough to share, indeed P&O publicised a video blog on Facebook by a14 year old actor ( I forget his name but he was in "Outnumbered" ) who was sharing with a friend while his parents were in another cabin. In our situation we are not next door to each other but fairly close on the same deck, we do not have a balcony cabin. Another point is that the 14 year old can come and go as she pleases from the kids club although we will have to sign the 12 year old in & out, I know this for a fact because I've had an email from P&O to that effect. I doubt that any 14 year old would want to holiday with their parents or Grandparents and be under constant supervision even at that age they need their own space.

I have to say I'm disappointed with our agent regarding this, at the time of booking we were assured that if we wanted to make this change before travelling it would not be a problem or we could do it once on board, we did actually press the agent over this at the time of booking. If it does become a problem I will not use this agent again, I don't want to identify the agent but the company is named after a town in Derbyshire.

I have to say I'm disappointed with our agent regarding this, at the time of booking we were assured that if we wanted to make this change before travelling it would not be a problem or we could do it once on board, we did actually press the agent over this at the time of booking. If it does become a problem I will not use this agent again, I don't want to identify the agent but the company is named after a town in Derbyshire.

Very interesting point Invincible (my daughter is very excited to be meeting your GDs btw) We have had a similar experience with our booking, also via our Derbyshire town friends and have decided should we book again it will be directly with P&O as they have added precisely nothing to this booking and have been less than helpful.

OK, so I'll ask again - are the parents going to be with them 24/7 whilst on board? If not, then what is the difference in leaving them to be in a cabin on their own or leaving them to wander about the ship on their own? The latter would be more dangerous I would have thought.

Overnight in a cabin, often on a different deck? Emergency...fire...kids deciding they will go off for a wander whilst parents think they are asleep..weird predatory type people... Seeing children go into a cabin on their own? ..besides which...it's against the rules and regulations! But that seems quite irrelevant for a lot of people....

My children have always had a separate cabin next door to us and we have never had any problems. They are aged 14 and 13 and well behaved. To my mind they are just in a separate bedroom next door like at home. They can knock if they have a problem or use the phone. Depends on the character/maturity of the kids but can't see what all the fuss is about,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My children have always had a separate cabin next door to us and we have never had any problems. They are aged 14 and 13 and well behaved. To my mind they are just in a separate bedroom next door like at home. They can knock if they have a problem or use the phone. Depends on the character/maturity of the kids but can't see what all the fuss is about,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Next door cabin is not quite so bad...a different deck though?