Helicopter deck vs Deck 11 for Glacier Viewing

uktog

We will be at the Hubbard Glacier soon, and I have read that there are excellent views to be had on the Helicopter Deck - though looking at webcams it can be crowded - or I can go up on Deck where I will be able to hear a commentary. Am I right - I cannot hear the commentary on the Helicopter deck? If so what is the better - up front and no commentary or a little to the side and a commentary?

How crowded do Decks 10 and 11 get anyway??:)

Thanks

All the Decks get very crowded, but the Helipad on Deck 4 has totally unobstructed views. My husband stayed on Deck 11. My son and I were on the Helipad.

But the Helipad is much colder, so wear a hooded sweatshirt, jacket and bring gloves. It was so sunny and warm on Decks 10 and 11 but you go out on the Helipad for more than 30 minutes and you are freezing.

Personally I cant remember if I could hear the narration on the helipad by the Naturalist. I know I heard him but maybe that was before I went to the helipad.

Anne Maria

We were on the Infinity to Alaska this past May and we literally stayed on our room (vista deck) on our balcony. When they get to the glacier the captain swings the ship a 360 degree so everyone can see the beauty of the glacier. We were all warm and comfy there.

Marilyn

If so, join us on our AFT CC balcony............

Thanks Macop but 20th May is our Europe trip - the one I am thinking about is this September. May well stay in the room some of the time, though we are in a CS so I will want the window glass to be very clean for the photo ops, which may given the salt spray be optimistic

uktog, we had a CS for our Alaska cruise. the room was wonderful and warm but the windows were not clean enough to take pics through. We had friends staying in a balcony room next to us so I went there when I took picks. By the way that room is really nice. Pat

Yes, they people out there at Hubbard Glacier. It was a great view. (When we first got out there it was crowded and I couldn't see anything, but people move around and I was able to keep inching my way up to the rail and to the front.

The trick to getting up there is you need to walk all the way forward on the port side of deck 4. Then you climb internal stairs.

Loved Alaska!

Joanie

The trick to getting up there is you need to walk all the way forward on the port side of deck 4. Then you climb internal stairs.

Loved Alaska!

Joanie

I tried that. When I got to the base of the Heli Pad I was scolded by an officer claiming that I had no business there and that I needed to get back to the passenger area. I was even told that I could go there by a staff member. I didn't tell the officer this because I didn't want to cause problems for anyone. I am glad to see that they opened it up for passengers.

The Captain must give approval for passengers to access the helipad. While approaching Hubbard Glacier on the Summit he gave us permission. It was announced on the PA system.

I went out there via the small step through bulkhead doorway on the port side of deck 4 and up a small stairway to the helipad area (deck 5).

It was cold out there due to the wind from ships movement while approaching the bay. I was directly at front of ship by rail. After entering bay and slowing down it was less windy and more comfortable. I was out there over two hours. Good for taking pictures. The crew came out with hot chocolate for sale in aluminum mugs. $9 each I believe. No thanks.

Deck 11 forward has the slanted glass which makes it difficult to take pictures. Some were standing on plastic drink tables to shoot over glass. Deck 11 port and starboard are open for easy picture taking, maybe a little cooler though, as it is exposed.

Deck 10 by the pool area, under deck 11 walking track, has sliding windows, which is handy for picture taking. It is also warm and near coffee, hot chocolate, tea, juice serving stations. Also restrooms nearby.

Aft deck 10 behind the buffet area has an outside bar and tables and has great viewing area. It's also close to coffee, hot, chocolate, tea and juice in the buffet.

Balcony stateroom is also excellent viewing place.

As was previously posted, the ship rotates 180 degrees while at the glacier, giving all areas excellent viewing at times.

We have an aft balconey cabin. How does that work? Willl we ever get a good view of the glacier? My husband and I are both short. I am just under 5' and my husband is about 5'5". We definitely wanted a balcony cabin for this cruise so we could get the most photo opportunities in Alaska. But he is concerned about the time we are at the glacier--if we will be able to take full advantage of the time spent there, being in an aft cabin. Could someone who has been to Alaska in an aft cabin give us your opinion of the experience.

Thanks,

Carol

We have an aft balconey cabin. How does that work? Willl we ever get a good view of the glacier? My husband and I are both short. I am just under 5' and my husband is about 5'5". We definitely wanted a balcony cabin for this cruise so we could get the most photo opportunities in Alaska. But he is concerned about the time we are at the glacier--if we will be able to take full advantage of the time spent there, being in an aft cabin. Could someone who has been to Alaska in an aft cabin give us your opinion of the experience.

Thanks,

Carol

Been there and done that on the Infinity, July 2003. We had a FV (aft corner) and had a solid 270 degree view of everything. You're going to love it. We never left the veranda while at Hubbard. Bring friends -- there will be plenty of room! The aft CC cabins are great, too. We stayed there for the majority of our Panama Canal transit for the same reason.

If you're wondering what the balcony for an aft CC looks like (they're in the row in between the FV cabins), check the pictures in the signature link at the bottom of this msg.

hubbard2.jpg.a469bbfe4714b27a0a326f541061dd8d.jpg

I prefer the photo perspective of shooting from a lower deck. I find deck 4 at the railing the best uncrowded spot. As the ship rotates its 360 course, I just walk to the other side of the ship. The helopad was just too crowded on the Summit and people were rudely elbowing their way in. One person even jammed a baby stroller into people's legs to gain a position.

Deck 4 is the same deck that you gain access to the helopad via the bulkhead stairway on the port side.

Tuggers, I yet don't know if I like Constellation. I take my first trip on her next month and then in March of next year. My favorite ship is Mercury. To me it was just the right size and love the colors on her. Rod and I can't go with you on that March 2007 cruise as we have an aft balcony on Infinity thru the Panama Canal booked for march 25, 2007. Some day we will meet on a ship again I just know it. Pat

Can anyone tell me which are the most economical AFT Balcony cabins, only two if us so size of cabin isn't a big issue. I am just interested in having views on both sides. Also will we miss much in way of commentary if we don't leave our balcony.

Thanks ML

Can anyone tell me which are the most economical AFT Balcony cabins, only two if us so size of cabin isn't a big issue. I am just interested in having views on both sides. Also will we miss much in way of commentary if we don't leave our balcony.

Thanks ML

The aft CC cabins on 7, 8 and 9 are less than the FV cabins on those decks and the the suites on 6.

Archived