Irritated with PVP

bassmk

I've been getting cold calls and emails from a PVP at Carnival for a couple of years (probably right after my last cruise), and when I booked this cruise, I booked online. (I normally book by phone, but only because the website has always had problems when I got to the payment portion of the booking. This time it worked.) About a month later, I get another cold call and I mention that I had booked online. She actually got pissy with me! She said I should have called her, and that no matter what time of day, her Carnival phone rolls to her cell phone at home.

Is this weird? Am I obligated to book with her? All my other bookings have been with whomever picked up the phone when I called. I do everything online, excursions, FTTF, payments, price drop forms, etc. To me, calling someone to do that is old-school when I can do it myself online.

Are there advantages to doing everything through a PVP that I'm not aware of? Should I ignore her and work with whomever answers my call like I've done in the past? Do they get a commission? Should I care about that?

I've been getting cold calls and emails from a PVP at Carnival for a couple of years (probably right after my last cruise), and when I booked this cruise, I booked online. (I normally book by phone, but only because the website has always had problems when I got to the payment portion of the booking. This time it worked.) About a month later, I get another cold call and I mention that I had booked online. She actually got pissy with me! She said I should have called her, and that no matter what time of day, her Carnival phone rolls to her cell phone at home.

Is this weird? Am I obligated to book with her? All my other bookings have been with whomever picked up the phone when I called. I do everything online, excursions, FTTF, payments, price drop forms, etc. To me, calling someone to do that is old-school when I can do it myself online.

Are there advantages to doing everything through a PVP that I'm not aware of? Should I ignore her and work with whomever answers my call like I've done in the past? Do they get a commission? Should I care about that?

I believe they do get a commission or a credit. I've been with my PVP for years and it's nice to call and he knows who I am. I HAVE to book through my PVP because of the rate I get with Carnival. If I didn't have to and wasn't already in love with my PVP, I would book online like you. I prefer to do everything online as well.

I'd tell her to stuff it. You've never worked with her before, and you owe her nothing.

I started getting calls/emails from a PVP after our last Carnival cruise. He was very nice, and I told him when we planned to cruise again (it's not a yearly thing for us). He called me once more after that and I told him if he called again before cruises went on sale for when we wanted to sail again I would absolutely not book with him ever. Since then he's been great about only emailing. I usually prefer to book online myself, but our next cruise will be a somewhat complicated booking with 3 rooms, one of the rooms having minors and payment split between the other two rooms, interior needs to be across from two balconies that can have an open divider, etc. So I need to work with someone that really knows what they're doing.

Edited by irishnyc

I'd tell her to stuff it. You've never worked with her before, and you owe her nothing.

I started getting calls/emails from a PVP after our last Carnival cruise. He was very nice, and I told him when we planned to cruise again (it's not a yearly thing for us). He called me once more after that and I told him if he called again before cruises went on sale for when we wanted to sail again I would absolutely not book with him ever. Since then he's been great about only emailing. I usually prefer to book online myself, but our next cruise will be a somewhat complicated booking with 3 rooms, one of the rooms having minors and payment split between the other two rooms, interior needs to be across from two balconies that can have an open divider, etc. So I need to work with someone that really knows what they're doing.

This makes sense. At some point I'll have to do that as well, when we cruise with the kids. (Grown/college-age kids) I guess I'll just call and book with whomever answers at that point.

I forgot to mention that I did have some questions about something the other day, so I decided to call her. I was trying to "do the right thing" and use my PVP, but when I called, I guess it rolled to her cell b/c she was at lunch. She told me to call back and leave the info on her voice mail and she would return my call when she was at her desk. We hung up and I immediately called back to leave the info, and she picked up again! I laughed and told her what I was trying to do and she seemed confused and said okay try again. Well, guess what. She answered AGAIN! I told her I was going to call back one more time, right away, don't answer. She finally understood and I left my info. NEVER GOT A CALL BACK. Ugh. I'm sorry, but why forward your work phone to your cell phone at lunch if you can't help anyone because you're away from your desk anyway?

Bottom line? Looks like she's fired.

I imagine your PVP considered you to be her client.

She has communicated with you over time.

If she does not book enough cruises, then she gets fired.

So yeah, I see how a human being could be upset.

I had a great PVP for over five years and then her sales apparently slipped.

She called my husband one day as we had not booked for a while(due to illness of a parent) and he told her that we could not book. He said she sounded like she was going to cry.

If you find a good PVP and you want to help someone keep their job, then book with them.

The time may come when you need the help of an actual human and it is nice to be able to call someone who knows you and is not someone who just started work last week.

As I am a skilled worker whose employer is throwing money at developing technology to replace me, I like to deal with people when I can and let the stinking computer sit there.

Whatever, hunh?

Edited by mzloolue

We tried to us our PVP last cruise. We didn't know we had one until after we booked our cruise over the phone one weekend when the website was down.2 days later we got a call from our PVP who asked why we booked over the phone and not with her. I told her I didn't know about her. She told me to call her if we needed anything and gave me her info. I saw a price drop about 2 weeks later and picked up the phone and called her. She "couldn't find" our booking so she couldn't apply the price drop. I hung up and called the 800 number and within 3 min had my price drop. She called several other times and i gave her a couple more chances. She never seemed willing to help us with price drops and such. Oh well, Id rather just call the 800 number or book online.

I imagine your PVP considered you to be her client.

She has communicated with you over time.

If she does not book enough cruises, then she gets fired.

So yeah, I see how a human being could be upset.

I had a great PVP for over five years and then her sales apparently slipped.

She called my husband one day as we had not booked for a while(due to illness of a parent) and he told her that we could not book. He said she sounded like she was going to cry.

If you find a good PVP and you want to help someone keep their job, then book with them.

The time may come when you need the help of an actual human and it is nice to be able to call someone who knows you and is not someone who just started work last week.

As I am a skilled worker whose employer is throwing money at developing technology to replace me, I like to deal with people when I can and let the stinking computer sit there.

Whatever, hunh?

Not sure why she considered me her client when I never answered her calls. I knew who she was from the voice mails and emails. I answered the call after I booked because I had just booked and I thought there might be an issue or something. (Caller ID just had the generic Carnival number, no way to know it was her specifically.)

I wouldn't want anyone to lose their job, but it's not up to me to save her job if I'm not ready to book when she cold calls/emails, or if the one time I TRY to help her out, she ignores me.

Having worked with the public, I avoid dealing with people at all costs. I do everything online whenever I can. Technology, man...I love it.

There is absolutely no obligation to book with a PVP. Regardless of how many times they call or e-mail you.

If I had a PVP that was rude, pushy, or incompetent I would book online. End of story. A sob story is not going to make me book a cruise when I am not interested, and it is not going to make me work with someone that I don't want to. Insensitive? Sure. But that's the bottom line.

I choose to book with my PVP because I'm often booking more than one room and need my dinner reservations linked, etc, etc. I also like my PVP. She has always returned calls and e-mails promptly and been great over the years. If I didn't have a positive booking experience with her, I would find a new PVP or book online.

Anyone that attempted to make me feel bad for not going through them would lose future business from me. I will handle my vacation planning as I see fit, and I do not have to answer to a PVP.

My PVP never, ever calls me.

Well, he calls after I cruise (even when I sailed HAL) to find out how it was. He seems genuinely interested in my thoughts and opinions.

I could do everything online. I know the exact cost and the cabin I want to book and have the faux booking pulled up when I call him. I make sure he sees what I see and that the price and fare code are the same. I stay on the line with him until I receive the confirmation email to ensure there are no discepancies. I don't like surprises. :p

So why do I not just book it online? Because I like him. Does he get me wonderful, great deals? No. Because I do my own research and I know what fares I qualify for, what itineraries I want, and when I can cruise.

But I do - occasionally - have an issue and let him deal with it. Sometimes I change cabins. Sometimes I add a cruise buddy. Other things like that.

I could call the generic number, and have occasionally on weekends just because I didn't want to bother him, but they just aren't as good - pleasant, but they aren't PVPs.

OP - Have you tried the "contact us" link on Carnival's website? I've used that link for various things and received quick responses. Just tell them you don't want to work with a PVP and don't want to receive calls.

I booke directly on-line with Carnival, but I use a PVP when I book NCL. My NCL PVP stayed with me for 45 minutes the last time, checking out every kind of discount and promotion that would be of advantage to me. If I had just booked online, I would have missed out on some special offers and discounts not shown online. I'm not sure if Carnival is the same.

I've never even spoken to mine (I can spot the Miami phone number easily), but that doesn't stop her from incessantly trying. Nothing against her, I just hate talking on the phone.

I hate that whenever I surf over to the Carnival website, I get a call soon after (at least, if I don't have a current booking). Her voicemail is instantly followed by an email.

I did try emailing her once for my next cruise. No response. So I just booked online.

A really good PVP can be a major asset for the customer. The best remember (or have on file) your preferences so you can get exactly what you want without having to exert any effort or brain cells. They only call when they have something you might be interested in to offer.

If you do not like the one you have, call Carnival and tell them you want a different PVP. You will have a different one. It took me four tries to get the one I have and he is everything one could desire.

Doc

I know this completely anecdotal but I choose not to use a PVP Firstly because the guy who calls me weekly is extremely obnoxious and secondly because a friend of mine on a different cruiseline used one of theirs and while they were on the cruise the PVPs brother broke into their home. Found out after that it had happened to about 5 other people all who had booked with this one particular person. You gotta think you're giving someone youre address and also letting them know you're going to be gone for an entire week and you really dont know them regardless of how nice they seem over the phone. I know this is an isolated story but its reason enough for me to not use one

Nobody is obligated to book through a PVP but I don't understand ignoring the phone for YEARS like the OP has done. If she answers the phone once, and tells the PVP "No thanks, and please place me on your "do not call" list", it should be a lot less aggravating, both for her and for the PVP. The PVP's are prompted to call, and if the guest doesn't answer, the system prompts them to call again until they can change the status of the call to something besides "no answer".

OP, also what you did (booking your cruise online and THEN calling your PVP for assistance) is a no, no. Basically you slap them on the face and then ask them to work for free. Doesn't quite work that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I know this completely anecdotal but I choose not to use a PVP Firstly because the guy who calls me weekly is extremely obnoxious and secondly because a friend of mine on a different cruiseline used one of theirs and while they were on the cruise the PVPs brother broke into their home. Found out after that it had happened to about 5 other people all who had booked with this one particular person. You gotta think you're giving someone youre address and also letting them know you're going to be gone for an entire week and you really dont know them regardless of how nice they seem over the phone. I know this is an isolated story but its reason enough for me to not use one

Somewhat off topic, but I heard on the news of a similiar incident but it involved a bank employee. A customer went to withdraw money and chatted with the teller that they were going on vacation. The teller has a relative or aquaitance break into the home.

Definitly have to be careful with who knows you are going out of town.

I like this. May I borrow this tactic? I'm so sick of getting a phone call every single time I browse on the Carnival website. Plus phone calls out of the blue. Even though I've asked him not to call me. I used to have a great PVP but he's not there anymore. Ugh.

Carnival, are you listening??? My PVP's behavior makes me AVOID your website. :mad:

My PVP's behavior makes me AVOID your website. :mad:

You know that you can just LOG OUT when you browse the Carnival website, and the system won't prompt them to call you, right?

You know that you can just LOG OUT when you browse the Carnival website, and the system won't prompt them to call you, right?

I've visited in incognito mode on Chrome and still get a call. I think they have associated my computer's IP to know when it's me regardless if I log in.

This is exactly what I do. My PVP knows what sale I am waiting for but he still calls if I go on the website for anything. So, I stay logged out unless I need to be logged in for something particular. But, I can check my VIFP offers by only putting in my VIFP # and still not be logged in. It has stopped the calls.

A good PVP makes you avoid the hassle of playing the hang up and try again game with Carnival whenever you have an issue or special circumstance. It is also nice to have a dedicated contact that can make bookings for you that you are not able to do online.

That being said, I use my parents' PVP and not my own. Mine only likes to call right after I book cruises.

Edited by jcearth

Nobody is obligated to book through a PVP but I don't understand ignoring the phone for YEARS like the OP has done. If she answers the phone once, and tells the PVP "No thanks, and please place me on your "do not call" list", it should be a lot less aggravating, both for her and for the PVP. The PVP's are prompted to call, and if the guest doesn't answer, the system prompts them to call again until they can change the status of the call to something besides "no answer".

OP, also what you did (booking your cruise online and THEN calling your PVP for assistance) is a no, no. Basically you slap them on the face and then ask them to work for free. Doesn't quite work that way.

It is not a no-no for her to use the PVP after she has already booked... I never use my PVP because I have asked her to stop calling, I will call when I need it, but she still keeps calling. I also like to book at last minute to get a great deal, and they don't seem to like that so I book it online myself... BUT if I do need something then I will call them, as they are there for much more than just booking

The same woman hasn't been calling me for years. Just since my last cruise. I've told plenty of PVPs I'm not interested and I don't hear from them again. Got tired of it, so I just stopped answering.

I called her for assistance because she pointedly asked me to after I told her I booked online. Believe me, I could have (and eventually did) worked the problem out myself online, but since she made a big deal about me calling her for any questions or needs I have for this booking, I did. Not that she did anything about it. Also? Carnival's paying her. No one is asking her to work for free.

I respectfully very much disagree. They aren't your travel agent getting paid solely on commissions and I think carnival would want to hear if your PVP has led you to believe that you can't/shouldn't call them if you didn't specifically book with them. Don't 90% of people get assigned a PVP AFTER booking their first cruise anyway?!