Colosseum Transportation Question:)

HammerTownGal

Hello Everyone:)

My family and I (there are 6 of us) have booked a private tour of the Colosseum. It is a 3 hour tour which begins at 12:30 and ends at 3:30...the timing is the earliest we could get it.

Our ship (Celebrity Equinox) leaves the port at 6:00pm.

That leaves us about 2 hours to get back to the ship...I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on how long it would take us to get back from the colosseum (by train). I have heard that sometimes the train is very crowded at that time...we will manage to get on the train and get back in time?

If that's not a good idea, does anyone know how much a taxi would be to get back to the port? And how long that would take? There are 6 of us so we would probably need 2 taxi's....we would much rather take the train of course as I am imagining it is WAY cheaper. I am a little stressed about this and am hoping someone "in the know" could tell me if I should be concerned or not!

Thanks a bunch:)

Your timing will be tight. Most experienced travelers recommend planning to catch the train PRIOR to the last train that will get you back to your ship in time for departure -- so that you'll have a back-up in case of problems. You probably won't have that luxury.

Working backwards, you'll need to be onboard your ship by 5:30 at the latest. You don't say when your cruise is, but up until recently, it's been fairly well agreed that you should allow a minimum of a half-hour from the time you alight at the station until you reach your ship.

HOWEVER, the port entrance at Civitavecchia has been temporarily relocated to a spot farther from the train than previously due to construction. I don't think anyone knows for sure how long that situation will continue, but you probably should allow more time. If it were me, I'd want to be getting off a train in Civitavecchia no later than 4:45, and possibly earlier.

There's an IC train that arrives Civitavecchia from Rome at 4:45. You would need to go to Ostiense station (the closer train station from the Colosseum) to catch this train which departs at 4:07. The good news is that because it is an IC (InterCity) train, you can make a reservation, which you cannot on the regional trains. However, you can't use the BIRG ticket. Still, the cost should be much less than 2 taxis to the port...

So if you are willing to cut it so close, here's what I'd recommend:

• Finish your tour at Colosseum at 3:30; if possible, duck out a few minutes earlier.
  • Cross the street to the Colosseo metro station and take a train in the direction of Laurentina. (There is only one line, so no confusion.)
  • Go 2 stops and alight at Pyramide metro station.
  • Follow signs in the station to the trains. The Ostiense station is connected to the metro station.
  • Locate your train on the monitor and get to your track.

None of this offers any margin for error, as I said above, and you'll need to hustle to get to the port entrance where you can catch a free shuttle back to your ship. There is a local bus that runs from the station to the temporary port entrance, but you may be better off walking if you are fast walkers.

A one-way transfer for up to 6 people from one of the reputable providers that are often recommended here will cost you in the neighborhood of 170 euros.

Wow...okay. First of all, thank you for all of the info. If we were to pay the 170 euros, how long would it take to get back to the ship? And would all 6 of us fit? That may be our best option. Would you happen to have the contact info for that company?

That is a REALLY long tour!!! I can keep myself interested for about an hour in one place, then they lose me and my attention wanders. There is so much to see in Rome that personally (my opinion only!) I would rather see three things in that amount of time. . .but maybe you have all been to Rome before and really want to concentrate on the Colosseum for this visit, what do I know!??

Wow...okay. First of all, thank you for all of the info. If we were to pay the 170 euros, how long would it take to get back to the ship? And would all 6 of us fit? That may be our best option. Would you happen to have the contact info for that company?

For purposes of giving you an estimate, I looked at the Rome Cabs website. They are frequently recommended here, but for clarity I have never used them and make no recommendation either way. I used their quoted price of 170 euros for up to 6 passengers.

Is this a special tour of the Colosseum you're doing? It's really pretty easy to do it on your own, especially if you're willing to allot that much time to it.

Edited by cruisemom42

Check for strike dates. Rome transportation has lots of issues but they always warn of strikes. If there is a bus strike plan on walking to the train station.

Also if the weather is bad is it amost impossible to find a cab.

The Colosseum is under going a renovation. It's looking all bright and shiny.

Edited by SadieN

Okay:) Thanks everyone...the tour is a private 3 hour tour of the Colosseum (with dungeons and upper level) and Roman Forum. My sister is an archaeologist (one who has never been to ROME!). This is her 40th birthday cruise and a bucket list item for her. We really wanted to be on our own with our own guide so we can hear everything and not have to deal with a big crowd of people in our group.

We are going to book a transfer (the reviews for Rome Cabs are excellent). It's worth the money for us to not stress about getting a train and getting back to the ship in time. The price of the tour and the transfer STILL doesn't come anywhere close to what Celebrity charges:)

We will head in early, walk around, get a glass of wine and go to our tour! So excited...as a side note, where should we stop to get some good eats and a good glass of wine near the Colosseum? We will have about 90 minutes or so to walk around that area. Thanks again to everyone! This forum is fantastic.

Okay:) Thanks everyone...the tour is a private 3 hour tour of the Colosseum (with dungeons and upper level) and Roman Forum. My sister is an archaeologist (one who has never been to ROME!). This is her 40th birthday cruise and a bucket list item for her. We really wanted to be on our own with our own guide so we can hear everything and not have to deal with a big crowd of people in our group.

We are going to book a transfer (the reviews for Rome Cabs are excellent). It's worth the money for us to not stress about getting a train and getting back to the ship in time. The price of the tour and the transfer STILL doesn't come anywhere close to what Celebrity charges:)

We will head in early, walk around, get a glass of wine and go to our tour! So excited...as a side note, where should we stop to get some good eats and a good glass of wine near the Colosseum? We will have about 90 minutes or so to walk around that area. Thanks again to everyone! This forum is fantastic.

I'm not an archaeologist but I have a deep interest in Roman ruins, so I understand....

If you get to the area early, you might consider looking around the Forum -- not sure if you will already have tickets in hand, but the general ticket for the Colosseum is also good for the Forum and for Palatine Hill. There are generally some (relatively small) ongoing excavation projects in the Forum or just across the street in Trajan's Market or the other Imperial Forums that might be interesting to your sister.

Via Cavour is a major road in the vicinity of the Colosseum; if you are looking for an interesting wine bar with snacks, you can try Cavour 313 (the name is the address; the door is very nondescript) -- it's excellent in an area where most things are fairly touristy.

P.S. The Colosseum doesn't have dungeons. What you will see are the underground areas where props were stored, and where wild animals and gladiators waited for their turn in the arena. But prisoners were not kept there.

Edited by cruisemom42

From past experience, and if there is no traffic--about 1 hour......

Hello Everyone:)

My family and I (there are 6 of us) have booked a private tour of the Colosseum. It is a 3 hour tour which begins at 12:30 and ends at 3:30...the timing is the earliest we could get it.

Our ship (Celebrity Equinox) leaves the port at 6:00pm.

That leaves us about 2 hours to get back to the ship...I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on how long it would take us to get back from the colosseum (by train). I have heard that sometimes the train is very crowded at that time...we will manage to get on the train and get back in time?

If that's not a good idea, does anyone know how much a taxi would be to get back to the port? And how long that would take? There are 6 of us so we would probably need 2 taxi's....we would much rather take the train of course as I am imagining it is WAY cheaper. I am a little stressed about this and am hoping someone "in the know" could tell me if I should be concerned or not!

Thanks a bunch:)

Rome cabs will charge about 170e for a 9 seater van

This could be arranged by having them meet you at the exit if your tour at 330pm. They will have the sign with your name just like at the airport

Romecabs as all limo companies, are very cognizant to all aboard times and assuming a 530 all aboard it will be tight

Btw 3 hours is a long time for the colesieum and you may well want to duck out around 30 minutes earlier even for an avid art fan. Easy to do as it is a private tour and you run the show. I love the colesieum btw.

As long as you see the underground and 3 rd tier you will be fine

If I recall our underground and 3 rd tier was only 90 minutes not private though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

• 2 weeks later...