Star Aft-Facing Suite: 8172: Did I make a mistake?

dongordon

I just viewed some photos of my Star Aft-Facing Suite #8172 and I hope the photos of this Suite are an illusion!

The Balcony looks like a regular aft balcony and the suite itself looks like a mini suite!

Has anyone been in this suite or a similar one that can tell me if I am correct or are the photos a bad illusion?

We paid a lot of $$ for this and we are hoping that we did not make a mistake.

I need some good photos or some re-assurance. :)

Thanks

Don

Deck 8 aft can be very noisy because you are over a night club. There are lots of posts here about thumping until two in the morning.

Those suites are bigger than a minisuite, but not by much, and the bathrooms are the same as minisuites.

If you want large balconies, the forward facing suites are for you!

Some don't care for them because of wind issues on some itineraries.

But do consider the noise!

Deck 8 aft can be very noisy because you are over a night club. There are lots of posts here about thumping until two in the morning.

Those suites are bigger than a minisuite, but not by much, and the bathrooms are the same as minisuites.

If you want large balconies, the forward facing suites are for you!

Some don't care for them because of wind issues on some itineraries.

But do consider the noise!

Thank you....

I am not concerned about the noise since we like to dance until closing each night and we will probably be participating along with the noise! :)

I have been in a forward suite and as you mentioned, and the wind makes the cabin useful only when the ship is traveling very slow or coming into port.

Aft-Facing balconies are usually a bit larger than the side balconies, but the balcony for this suite looked kind of small in the photos I have seen posted on the web.

Have you been in any of the Star suites on Deck 8?

Please somebody....send me some recent photos!! :)

Thanks again.

Don

I just viewed some photos of my Star Aft-Facing Suite #8172 and I hope the photos of this Suite are an illusion!

The Balcony looks like a regular aft balcony and the suite itself looks like a mini suite!

Has anyone been in this suite or a similar one that can tell me if I am correct or are the photos a bad illusion?

Thanks

Don

Hello;

we stayed in 8670, and were not happy cruisers. Nothing essentially wrong, just not our version of a suite. cramped, and old. we turned down the one category down of the forward version, (can't remember the letters) and when we visited the room, on deck twelve forward, we were agog at how beautiful and spacious the room was. big mistake for us.

BTW: balcony was narrow, really could not have any sort of gathering, sink area was only as wide as the vanity, which was less than 30" total. It was like a pivoting point; turn left, and the toilet compartment, turn right, and the shower tub/stall. really only one person at a time could utilize.

hope this helps.

We sailed the Star last year in 8170, the whole point of these suites is what's outside, we had dinner served to us on the balcony as we sailed through the archipelago, just stunning. We found the suite very comfortable, had very few noise issues and really enjoyed ourselves.

Check out our images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/magickpyggie/sets and select the Star.

Hope you enjoy them.john and Joan

Thanks

Don

We were in Suite #8170 about 8 years ago. It was our first "suite" and we mainly booked it because we wanted to be aft for our Alaska cruise and also because of the wrap-around balcony. It wasn't the biggest suite, but we enjoyed it mainly because of the amenities and the location.

Here are a couple of views of the back of the ship and maybe you can get an idea of the balcony size.

10603279_10152624929433139_3127149741059374672_n.jpg

10574270_10152624929418139_3011106362402386930_n.jpg

If you want to see some pictures of the interior, I have those but the furnishings have probably changed since these were taken in June of 2006.

Thanks so much Sandy...

It appears that all the aft balconies are almost the same size except for the "wrap around" which is fantastic.

Yes, I would love to see your interior photos if you could post them.

I will certainly look forward to the perks of the "suite life." :)

Don

We spent 38 days in that suite early this year. It was the best!!

There is a little noise from the Spinaker lounge but nothing that bothered us. It is a great suite and has the best butler on board the ship. Jonathan is the butler. He is responsible for the Garden suites and the 4 aft suites on 8. He was amazing. Our room steward was also top-notch.

Say hello to Jonathan from Bob and Chris

Chris

We spent 38 days in that suite early this year. It was the best!!

There is a little noise from the Spinaker lounge but nothing that bothered us. It is a great suite and has the best butler on board the ship. Jonathan is the butler. He is responsible for the Garden suites and the 4 aft suites on 8. He was amazing. Our room steward was also top-notch.

Say hello to Jonathan from Bob and Chris

Chris

Hi Chris,

Were you in 8170 or 8172?

I hope Jonathan is still there in January 2015! :)

Don