Funchal, Madeira to San Juan Nov 2005

momay

Has anyone taken this cruise in the past? My husband and I were considering this, but am unsure of the weather (too cool)and if so many days at sea would be 'too' relaxing.
We have never cruised before, but are convinced Radisson is the line for us after reading so many posts on comparsions.
Thank you so much, we appreciate any advice/thoughts/comments!

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]I assume that you're talking about the Diamond, since that's the only one that goes to San Juan. We've made 2 transatlantics in the last year and a half aboard Mariner and Voyager. No problems. Diamond is much more stable. We're taking it Rome-San Juan in Oct of this year. Just completed Voyager FLL-Monaco. Temps were pleasant(@ 70-74). I ate all breakfasts and lunches on the outdoor portion of La Verandah and was quite comfortable.

I took this cruise on the Diamond in 2001. And I had a wonderful time. There were a few rain showers but not all day, every day. And you can definitely tell when you begin to sail into the tropical waters - here comes the humidity - but not at all bad.
I ate breakfast on my balconey most every morning, unless I was up early & then ate outside upstairs. Never used the dining room except in the evenings. It was a great trip & I have life lasting friendships as result of this trip.

[img]http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/B8/C1/Radisson7Seas/1/87.jpg[/img]

Bye Bye

Thank you both for your responses! This will help us make a decision. My husband is not as interested in this cruise as I am. Bettywh confirmed what I think is best about the crusie, you'll really get to meet and spend time with people, instead of running from port to ship and port again each day. Our lives are already so busy, to really take a step back and relax, even if it doesn't feel 'comfortable' in theory, may be the best vacation of all! thanks again!

The Voyager apparently is making the Funchal/Fll trip in Nov 2005, a change from previous years. Funchal itself will be very cool in November. Last year I remember that we had to send down for a heater (our hotel at the time had no central heat)and the staff joked that they had been wondering how long it would take for us to admit we were freezing at night. However, it was pleasant during the day and layers made it comfortable to walk around.

Just did the Voyager eastbound to Funchal, and believe me there was never a dull moment. Even though it was a bit too cool and windy for deck activities, nobody seemed to miss it. The ship was constantly active. However, given the comfortable cabins, I was pleased that the lectures were televised so I could curl up on the couch with a glass of wine instead of sitting in the theater. Transatlantics with lots of sea days are a different experience, but still remain my favorite cruise.

JoAnne

Archived