Internet packages

clagkids

On a slightly different, but related matter, has anyone had experience with the internet on Royal Caribbean? In an article in Ft. lauderdale's paper last week, they said RCCL was upgrading their service. The first sentence in the article stated: "More cruise ship passengers can expect Internet service like they're used to at home."

We were on the Oasis in July. The internet was great. We don't normally buy internet because it's to slow and it just makes me made to pay to wait. But the Oasis was well worth the price. They sold unlimited internet for 2 devices at a time for $220 -- then we got a discount (15% I think) for our C&A level. Unlimited for 1 device was about $170. I was able to do everything I normally do at home.

We were on the Oasis in July. The internet was great. We don't normally buy internet because it's to slow and it just makes me made to pay to wait. But the Oasis was well worth the price. They sold unlimited internet for 2 devices at a time for $220 -- then we got a discount (15% I think) for our C&A level. Unlimited for 1 device was about $170. I was able to do everything I normally do at home.

Wouldn't it be nice if HAL upgraded their system to the 21st century!

On a slightly different, but related matter, has anyone had experience with the internet on Royal Caribbean? In an article in Ft. lauderdale's paper last week, they said RCCL was upgrading their service. The first sentence in the article stated: "More cruise ship passengers can expect Internet service like they're used to at home."

It was comparable to HAL a few years ago. The Royal new ships have a whole lot more in the way of network infrastructure, and they're newer. I would expect faster Internet service on them. At the end of the day, you're still sharing a satellite connection.

We were on the Oasis in July....They sold unlimited internet for 2 devices at a time for $220 -- then we got a discount (15% I think) for our C&A level. Unlimited for 1 device was about $170. I was able to do everything I normally do at home.

How many days was this cruise?

Scott & Karen

Just got off a 12-day on the Eurodam. I chose not to buy minutes after I found the speed so slow simply loading the New York Times in the Explorer's Lounge.

With so much personal technology these days (and even more coming), cruise lines are going to have to come up with something better. Guests are going to become even more demanding and really won't stand for the slow speeds much longer.

Internet connectivity will soon not be a luxury but an expectation.

The irony about your post is that the New York Times is actually not coming from the Internet...but rather the cruise ship's own internal "intranet." The ship routinely downloads NY Times updates and stores it in an onboard server for anyone to use for free. So the fact that the NY Times is often very slow is just a good example of the awful computer technology on HAL. But you are correct that if they NY Times is not loading, the internet will be as bad if not worse...since that must also go through the onboard servers.

Hank