First cruise, a few questions

Salamander88

Cruising the celebrity summit soon, and I have a few questions that the website didn't really cover.

1. Carry-on restrictions in size or weight? I'm contemplating on bringing my own luggage on board since I'm packing light.

2. A. Can I bring my own cans of soda or bottles of water??

B. If I can, will I be able to bring a can when I go to dinner or stictly remains in my stateroom?

3. Power strips? Do you need it, and can you even bring it?

4. when do I find out which nights are the formal nights?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

:o i think thats pretty much everything

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=Salamander88&date=8-24-2014&text=First Cruise!!&ship=Celebrity Summit

Edited by Salamander88

1. There is no weight limit to your bags that i know of. I pack mine so full and never hear anything. It goes on a truck and is lifted aboard its not an airplane.

2.No you can only bring two bottles of wine or champagne aboard. We accidentally had vodka in a bottle and it went through the scanner just fine but however I dont recommend this as they can deny you boarding. Just get the beverage package which is part of the 123 go promotion and that covers your water, pop, coffee, ect ect and for free and saves you money rather then buying it and lugging it aboard or sneaking it. Theres also a mini bar with pop and water in it for a reasonable fee (to me at least).

3.Yes you can bring power strips and many ppl do. It just depends on how many devices you plan on charging. For my my iphone cord charges my ipad and phone which are my computer and camera and cell at that point all in one. Just depends on your electronics you are bringing with and you and maybe the number of people. I just plug my iphone cord in behind the night stand.

4.If its under 7 nights there is one formal night, if its 7-10 there are two and they are usually the second day or first night at sea, and then the second to last night before getting back to the final port. However this is under the FAQs and you can call celebrity and ask as well. Or you can do it once aboard. However I know for a fact 7-10 nights is 2 formal nights so pack accordingly and anything under is just one formal night. Now unless you are doing a longer trip there can be up to 3 but im no expert at this.

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TIME!

1. I have read somewhere that 90kg is the limit. Generally they just seem to rely on the passenger's common sense.

2. I don't think there is any limit on non-alcoholic beverages. I've seen some reports of limits on RC ships but not on Celebrity.

3. This can be tricky. Usually they are OK but I have seen reports of them being confiscated, mostly on other cruise lines though.

4. This is itinerary specific but they are usually on sea days. If you find someone who has done your cruise before they could tell you, otherwise you just have to wait until you are on board.

The luggage you carry on needs to fit through the scanner which is like the ones at the airport. Anything you carry on you will need to drag around with you until the cabins are ready ( about 1:30) unless you embark later.

You can put a luggage tag on cases of water or soda and it will be delivered to your cabin. There is only a small minibar fridge which is not very cold. To use it ask you cabin attendant to empty it ( unless you want to purchase from it)

1- Celebrity is pretty lax about any sort of weight restriction... if it is Carry On just be aware that you will be dragging it around with you most likely for a few hours when you first board (cabins don't usually become available for a late afternoon sailing until somewhere between 1 and 2 PM... and at times can be later).

2- When it comes to bringing aboard bevvys the restrictions are on alcoholic items... they only allow wine (2 standard bottles per cabin). They don't allow Beer or any form of Spirits at all. You can bring onboard Bottled Water, Pop or Juice etc... just slap a sticky "Baggage Tag" on it as Checked Baggage with the Porter, and it will show up at your room when the other Checked Bags are delivered.

When it comes to bringing on wine, there is no corkage if you open the bottle in your Stateroom, there is a fee if you bring the bottle anywhere else on the ship.

As bevvys are allowed everywhere on the ship (you'll see lots of fellow pax with a glass in hand), no one blinks an eye at this practice, or asks anyone WHERE exactly they got whatever it is they are drinking. Many people bring along their own insulated sippy cups (we have a Stainless set, which is handy for keeping cold drinks cold, and hot drinks hot). But your Room Steward will also make sure your room is stocked with Glasses & Wine Glasses... so you can pour something in your room and take it with you wherever you go (including dinner).

I would say that bringing an unopened can / bottle of a bevvy to dinner / elsewhere would appear pretty gauche, as clearly it would indicate that it was something you purchased not thru the ship (Ship Bevvys except for Bottled Water, almost always show up in a glass).

3- Power Strips, seems to me that for the most part Celebrity allows them as they get thru screening etc.

4- As the others have said, on a 7 Day Cruise there will be 2 Formal Nights. They are never the first night out or the last. Most often happen Night 2 and Night 5 or 6... a lot depends on the Ship's Itinerary and when sea days occur. The info on Formal Nights will be written up in the first issue of "Celebrity Today" that you receive in your cabin when you arrive.

Other than that, as suggested you could track down others who have done the same cruise Itinerary (either here or on the Ship's Roll Call Board here on CC) to see what their experience was on-board.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

1. Carry-on restrictions in size or weight? I'm contemplating on bringing my own luggage on board since I'm packing light.

There are no restrictions on carry-on luggage and practically speaking no restrictions on the amount of checked luggage you can bring on. They do put carry on luggage through an x-ray machine similar to what is used in at an airport so I am not sure if they would have procedures to allow you to bring larger suitcases which can not fit through those or not.

2. A. Can I bring my own cans of soda or bottles of water??

B. If I can, will I be able to bring a can when I go to dinner or stictly remains in my stateroom?

There are no restrictions on the amount of soda or bottles of water. You'll see frequent postings on this forum from cruisers who bring an entire case or two, put a luggage tag on them and check them with the porters for delivery to your cabin. Just be sure the cases are secured with tape if the regular covering on them could easily be broken.

Bring a can or bottle to dinner in the dining room: I've never heard of a policy against this but also never heard a report of anyone doing it nor being turned away. In my own opinion I think it would be in poor taste to bring your own - just as it would to do so to bring a can of soda into a nice upscale restaurant around town. But that is just my own opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few who do this.

3. Power strips? Do you need it, and can you even bring it?

A lot of people report bringing these on board. Every now and then you'll read a report that these, or extension cords, were confiscated because of a policy that the ship only wants items it knows are sound used on board. But I think most passengers have no problem bringing these. Personally, we lugged these around for years and hardly ever used them so we stopped years ago. We do carry a 3 outlet adaptor and that is generally plenty for us. Your stateroom will have two North American style 110V outlets and one (or 2 on M class) European style 220V outlets. If you have any 220V compatible electronics, such as phone, camera or computer battery chargers, then just get a small plug adaptor to use the extra outlet. But never plug anything not marked as 220V compatible into one of these. Keep in mind that you'll have precious little tabletop space so you probably won't want to keep a lot of electronics out and plugged in when you aren't actually using them.

4. when do I find out which nights are the formal nights?

You can find out the usual nights from others here who have recently taken the identical itinerary. Try posting a question specifically on this with the itinerary listed in the title. Other than that you will not find out for certain until you are on board. As a general rule for cruises that includes 2 or more formal nights: The first will be the second night of the cruise and the last will be second to last night of the cruise. There are rare exceptions on itineraries where these nights are on port days and there are more suitable sea days that fit a nice schedule. The first and last night on board are never formal nights due to issues relating to unpacking and packing.

Unless your luggage truly is carryon size, I highly discourage you from lugging it aboard.

We saw an older couple dragging their full size luggage on board. Elevators are very crowded on embarkation day and it was awkward and bothersome to others to have them dealing with their large bags. Then, you can't access your staterooms until about 1:30, so they were making a commotion everywhere they went. I have no idea why they did it, but it really wasn't a good idea.

Perhaps if they had waited to board later in the day after the crowds died down it would have been better. They may not even have known they were supposed to leave it with the porters, just like a couple I heard about who ate all their meals in the buffet because they thought they had to pay for the MDR.

From Celebrity's Home Page

Each passenger is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take.

I saw a post where someone saw 90kg as the weight limit. I saw that on a web search too....

BUT... 90kg is 198 pounds...:mad: I have not seen any luggage that can pack 198 pounds into a bag and I've not see a porter that could lift one that size either (they must have the gorilla handler hidden away)... :)

Dennis

myticker.jpg

As to #1: When you get to the port there will be porters to check your luggage with. It will then be delivered to your cabin. There is no need to 'lug' it around till your cabin is ready. Check em! Dont carry em!:D

Now when time comes to leave, that is when you want a few small pieces so you can carry them off on your own.

I disagree, I will no longer be handing my suitcase to the porters at the dock. On disembarking in venice last year my new hardshell suitcase was smashed on the corner between being put out the night before and on collection.

A long hard fight later I was reimbursed for the cost of the suitcase but as we still had another month to travel it was hard work. Fortunately I had packed good old duct tape and hubby had thrown in some super glue so when we arrived at our hotel later that night he was able to do some surgical repairs to keep intact til we got home.

We do travel light but even if I have a big suitcase I will be struggling with it around the ship until I can get into my room d just like the elderly people described in the post.

Have taken soft drink and water on board no problem.

Friends had a power board taken off them on carnival but got through ok on celebrity. I just take double adapters.

Edited by Tara Jane

I was challenged at the martini bar when I left my husband sat there, went to cellar masters to get one and came back with a full glass. So they can challenge you.

I agree they can (as in have the right to challenge Guests)... But at the same time as a Wine Lover and knowing what is available at the Martini Bar, I too would have strayed farther afield to quench my thirst / lust for crushed grapes, lol. :D

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I was challenged at the martini bar when I left my husband sat there, went to cellar masters to get one and came back with a full glass. So they can challenge you.

I agree they can (as in have the right to challenge Guests)... But at the same time as a Wine Lover and knowing what is available at the Martini Bar, I too would have strayed farther afield to quench my thirst / lust for crushed grapes, lol. :D

Cheers!

I guess I missed a post or 3:D Challenged about what?

I guess I missed a post or 3:D Challenged about what?

Lol, it happens... Here ya go:

Challenged on where / how one came by their alcohol...

Ie: People sharing one Bevvy pkg... Drinking wine You brought onboard outside of your Cabin (Corkerage therefore unpaid)

For the latter, and with the OP's thoughts on bring her own soft drink to the MDR is all about being discreet (ie coke in a glass... Probably not questioned... Coke in a can... When I don't even think they sell canned Coke... Too obvious)

Cheers!

:confused: I'm way too paranoid lol so EXACT documents needed for a minor to go on the cruise without parents? So like birth certificate...original or copy or not needed at all? I just want to know exactly what's needed so I have NO complications :o Thanks

:confused: I'm way too paranoid lol so EXACT documents needed for a minor to go on the cruise without parents? So like birth certificate...original or copy or not needed at all? I just want to know exactly what's needed so I have NO complications :o Thanks

You said you're crusing on the Summit soon. Is this to Bermuda? Or US/Canada? Or somewhere else? What is the citizen ship of the child?

For cruises to and from the U.S./Canada/Mexico (non international sailings)

Passport is the best, by far. If they do not have a passport, you will definitely need an original birth certificate (not the hospital ones, but the notorized certificate ones) and I think a goverment issued photo ID, but this is less clear as I have found it with and with the photo ID part (for minors specificially).

I believe, in addition you need a notortized letter from the child's parents. This is our of our ticket booklet, for a sailing later this month:

Domestic Travel

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires that all travelers entering and departing the United States, Canada, Mexico, the

Caribbean and Bermuda must present a valid passport book or other Department of Homeland Security-approved travel document that

establishes the bearer’s identity and citizenship. Open-loop cruises (voyages that begin in one U.S. port and end in another U.S. port) will require

a valid passport book or another WHTI-compliant document for entry or reentry into the United States. Closed-loop cruises (voyages that begin

and end in the same U.S. port) allow U.S. citizens to travel with additional travel documents such as a birth certifi cate plus a government issued

picture ID card (i.e., a drivers license). The name on your travel documents needs to match the name on the cruise line reservation or be linked by

other legal documents such as a marriage certifi cate. A birth certifi cate, issued by a government agency (state, county, city, etc.), is an accepted

travel document. A birth notice, issued by a hospital or other or other type of medical facility, is not an acceptable travel document. The name

on your travel documents must match the name on your cruise reservation or be linked by a legal document such as a marriage license. For more

information regarding domestic travel document requirements, visit: http://www.getyouhome.gov/.

Family Legal Document

Should the last names of the parent sailing with their minor child di er, the parent is required to present the child’s valid passport book and visa

(if required) and the child’s birth certifi cate (original, a notarized copy or a certifi ed copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked

through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child’s valid passport and visa

(if required) or the child’s birth certifi cate (original, a notarized copy or a certifi ed copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of

the child’s parents, along with a copy of same to be collected at the time of check-in formalities. The notarized letter from the child’s parent must

authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specifi c cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any

medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a legal guardian, the adult must present a certifi ed certifi cate of

Guardianship with respect to the child.

Happy sailing,

Jenna