Passport Renewels

atdahop

Has anyone had any recent experience getting a renewel? I was wondering how long it takes to get it back? Do they send the old one back with the new one or does it come back before you get the new one?

Thanks

I have to disagree with the prior poster, all old passports are returned, usually in a separate envelope a few days later, but sometimes together. The old passport is punched and is not valid for travel.

There are exceptions for short term use extensions (currently one year), which appears to be what happened above.

Edited by cherylandtk

Has anyone had any recent experience getting a renewel? I was wondering how long it takes to get it back? Do they send the old one back with the new one or does it come back before you get the new one?

Thanks

If you are concerned about your October cruise, don't worry. You have more than enough time for yours to process without using any expedited services. I would do it this week and be looking for them shortly after Labor Day.

Mike:)

I have to disagree with the prior poster, all old passports are returned, usually in a separate envelope a few days later, but sometimes together. The old passport is punched and is not valid for travel.

There are exceptions for short term use extensions (currently one year), which appears to be what happened above.

I agree. I got my old one back under separate cover. It had a hole punched through it making it invalid for future use.

If you are concerned about your October cruise, don't worry. You have more than enough time for yours to process without using any expedited services. I would do it this week and be looking for them shortly after Labor Day.

Thanks Mike, you eased my mind. I don't know why I didn't realize that I needed a new one. My husband's passport did not need a renewel and I guess I just didn't check mine when I looked at his.

I recently asked this same question. We sent ours in 2nd week of July and we are still waiting.. We know they have it as they cashed the check. Apparently, I saw in the news that there was recently a visa/passport database issue which may have delayed it. I was also asking about folks recent experience. I have been hearing about 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I recently asked this same question. We sent ours in 2nd week of July and we are still waiting.. We know they have it as they cashed the check. Apparently, I saw in the news that there was recently a visa/passport database issue which may have delayed it. I was also asking about folks recent experience. I have been hearing about 4 weeks.

Hi,

Will you please post on this thread when you receive it....thanks

Thanks Mike, you eased my mind. I don't know why I didn't realize that I needed a new one. My husband's passport did not need a renewel and I guess I just didn't check mine when I looked at his.

Now, we did ours at the Post Office and received notification when it was received etc. If that is any help.

Thanks

Three weeks for new passport and 10 days later for old one to be returned

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/processing-times.html

I, like Avalon, submitted my renewal the 2nd week of July and have confirmation of receipt and the check was cashed in 4 days.

I had no idea until I just looked that you can actually track the progress of your renewal and register your email address for status notifications.

To be specific,

I mailed from post office, July 14, Received by National Passport Center July 16, my check cashed on July 18. My current status is "In final stages" and expected delivery is Aug 18. Seems exactly as I expected.

PS...No special expedite, normal process

Edited by hpeabody

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/processing-times.html

I, like Avalon, submitted my renewal the 2nd week of July and have confirmation of receipt and the check was cashed in 4 days.

I had no idea until I just looked that you can actually track the progress of your renewal and register your email address for status notifications.

To be specific,

I mailed from post office, July 14, Received by National Passport Center July 16, my check cashed on July 18. My current status is "In final stages" and expected delivery is Aug 18. Seems exactly as I expected.

Thanks for posting link.

We checked the status page for application. This is ALL it said:

We are processing Routine Applications in approximately 4 to 6 weeks from the time of application

And we submitted it 2nd week of July. No ship dates, no statement that it is being processed. Just the tracking number and that message. Anyone else still dealing with this? Granted we are at the 4 week mark but we would have hoped to have some indication that it was actually being processed as the other poster indicated. Oh well.

I would suggest to anyone else, it probably pays to pay the expedite fee....we thought, oh why bother.....glad we do not need it right away...live and learn.

We checked the status page for application. This is ALL it said:

We are processing Routine Applications in approximately 4 to 6 weeks from the time of application

And we submitted it 2nd week of July. No ship dates, no statement that it is being processed. Just the tracking number and that message. Anyone else still dealing with this? Granted we are at the 4 week mark but we would have hoped to have some indication that it was actually being processed as the other poster indicated. Oh well.

I would suggest to anyone else, it probably pays to pay the expedite fee....we thought, oh why bother.....glad we do not need it right away...live and learn.

Did you go down to the next paragraph where it says "Already applied for a passport?" and then click the link there to get this page?:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp

To be specific,

Just for some more numeric information. I mailed my certified, July 21, they received July 24, check cashed July 28th and am still waiting. So if you expect to get yours around August 18th, I will probably, hopefully, be about a week later. So if we get them around the times we hope, it looks like it is taking about a month.

Pooh

Just for some more numeric information. I mailed my certified, July 21, they received July 24, check cashed July 28th and am still waiting. So if you expect to get yours around August 18th, I will probably, hopefully, be about a week later. So if we get them around the times we hope, it looks like it is taking about a month.

Pooh

Looked mine up. All mine says is processing and taking 4-6 weeks. Did reenter my email address so I will now supposedly get updates by email.

Pooh