Venice Hotel Recommendations for Post-Cruise

NUEBIE CRUISER

We will be in Venice Oct 10-12 (post cruise) before flying back to Rome to fly home. My husband and I are travelling with my parents (ages 77 and 83). We are very fit but they have problems walking long distances (without rest every few minutes) and are reluctant to get wheelchairs. Can someone recommend a reasonably priced (up to $400 per night) hotel in Venice where they don't have to do too much walking to do without finding a place to rest? I'm thinking somewhere fairly close to St. Marks Square but yet not to overwhelmingly busy for senior citizens. I think they can handle the water taxi's with our assistance. Thanks!

Hotel Locanda Salieri near Piazzale de Roma . Excellent . Easy walking distance from Piazzale de Roma, St Lucia Station and the Grand Canal .

Excellent in house restaurant. Nice quiet canal location . Book on line direct via hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

Edited by kuldalai

We will be in Venice Oct 10-12 (post cruise) before flying back to Rome to fly home. My husband and I are travelling with my parents (ages 77 and 83). We are very fit but they have problems walking long distances (without rest every few minutes) and are reluctant to get wheelchairs. Can someone recommend a reasonably priced (up to $400 per night) hotel in Venice where they don't have to do too much walking to do without finding a place to rest? I'm thinking somewhere fairly close to St. Marks Square but yet not to overwhelmingly busy for senior citizens. I think they can handle the water taxi's with our assistance. Thanks!

We stayed at Santa Chiara hotel. Perfect location and you can get there by land taxi. Shops and restaurants are an easy walk. It is right on the canal and is a delightful place.

http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/

Whatever hotel you decide on do make sure it has an elevator. Some do not.

Edited by Marie51

I see that the recommendations are for the Piazzale Roma area, not St Marks. This is probably because P Roma is easily accessed from the cruise pier so it might be an easier spot to base your family than St Marks. You could take a cab to P Roma from the pier in under 5 minutes, drop your luggage at the hotel, walk 2 blocks to the Grand Canal and take a vaporetto to St Marks. There are 2 hotels right on PRoma ... Santa Chiara and Ca Doge. If you can manage a small bridge, consider Best Western Olimpia, Arlecchino or Papadopoli,

If you stay in St Marks, how would you get there with all your luggage? One option to consider ... pack overnight bags and leave your suitcases at the Left Luggage facility at PRoma. I stayed in the St Marks area on my first visit, but we had 3 nites so we stayed in a private apt. Look at this listing for some suggestions.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

Or venere: http://www.venere.com/italy/venice/

Here's an alternative suggestion. I recently stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky which is on a separate island just across the canal from Venice. It is a beautiful boutique style hotel with lovely rooms. I got it on Hotwire for $135/night which was a pretty extraordinary price.

The reason I mention it is they have a free shuttle that goes every 20 minutes between the hotel and St. Mark's Square and a different neighborhood near the Accademia yeah called Zattere. This would mean that your parents would not have to walk very far if they didn't want to and when they got tired they could simply take the shuttle back to the hotel and you could enjoy some more time in Venice.

The hotel has lovely views of Venice and of the Guidecca canal which the cruise ships are currently traversing and the views are fantastic watching the ships glide by. There's also a rooftop pool on the eighth floor with wonderful views.

Just a thought, I have traveled with elderly relatives before and I know they sometimes don't have a lot of stamina. I think this would minimize the walking. The hotel is accessible from the cruise port by either taking a private water taxi which would be about €100 or AliLaguna which would be about eight euros per person but is a longer ride

Edited by CathyCruises