Celebrity Millenium versus ? for Alaska

jasminelee

I have been checking on some roundtrip, out of Vancouver Alaska cruises for next May, and while NCL had the 10 day RT I liked, it was only offered May 7/8, and I think this will be too early for the WPass RR.

Celebrity has one with several different ports, but we have never sailed on this line before and there were mixed reviews on the ship ,etc.

Has anyone done this particular trip and what was your experience?

thanks in advance!

I know Princess is doing a roundtrip from Vancouver in May on the Coral Princess which is a wonderful ship to sail Alaska on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

Same problem -very early May - I looked at that because I know I can't go wrong with Princess

I was on the Millennium in June. It had long port times, which I liked. It does not go to Glacier Bay, but that was ok with me for this trip. I had never been to Alaska before. I had read reviews that the ship was showing it's age, I did not see that. I didn't think the ship had much to do on sea days. The food was only ok. I would take this ship again though!

I have been checking on some roundtrip, out of Vancouver Alaska cruises for next May, and while NCL had the 10 day RT I liked, it was only offered May 7/8, and I think this will be too early for the WPass RR.

Celebrity has one with several different ports, but we have never sailed on this line before and there were mixed reviews on the ship ,etc.

Has anyone done this particular trip and what was your experience?

thanks in advance!

I'm assuming you are considering the Lake Bennett White Pass RR trip, as the regular run of the White Pass RR to Fraser, is definitely running by your timeframe.

I give no consideration for any cruise ship, and only base my choices on itinerary in Alaska.

I have done several earlier May cruises, I do prefer going last half of the month, so was the reason, I cruised for 3 weeks. :)

Hi jasminelee,

do not worry about the negative reviews of Millennium!

We have booked her for August 2015, because we really loved her sister Summit in 2013 and 2014!

Not only this ship has mixed reviews - also Oosterdam, Coral Princess, NCL Sun etc. have similar reviews, but members from our forums must have had a great time on these ships, according to their 2014 reviews!

Sometimes there are people who like their particular favourite cruise line. And to like them, they need to insult and bash the direct competitors (e. g. user "HeinBloed").

Most negative reviews of Millennium came up when the ship was in Asia (also other lines are reviewed negative when cruising that area), as she returned to Alaska, most reviews got better and better!

One other advice: Peple who were satisfied may not review their cruise, but people who had a bad experience (even if it hust were 10 out of 2500) and they write negative reports, the rate of satisfaction might be lower.

So just try to question the reviews.

General comment when reading cruise reviews on CC - If you see very strong language either negative or positive, especially without well-laid out support, try to ignore the review as it's likely an outlier. Especially words like "furious", "terrible cruise", and "food was horrible" etc are dead ringers for bashing. Look for reviews where the poster had a legitimate issue and how it was resolved by the line.

Edited by celebrity_fan

We have Millennium booked for next August, actually a year from today. We've sailed Alaska on Celebrity Infinity twice and loved it. We expect we'll love the northbound on Millennium as well. Although we prefer the newer and larger S-class Celebrity ships, we still love the M class (Millennium). In Alaska it's more about the scenery/itinerary and less about the ship itself. On sea days you won't have the sports-oriented activities (mini golf, rock wall, pool slides) like other lines have but you will have plenty to do and the food and service will be wonderful. Actually a lot of the time when not in port we are up on deck or in the big upper lounge at the front of the ship doing our own whale watching with binoculars. It's kind of what you do on an Alaskan cruise. A very very different vibe than on a Caribbean cruise or a Mediterranean.

We have always taken a round trip but this time we're renting a car and spending some time on our own in the interior.

Our first priority is always the itinerary, then the cruise ship. We have found that Celebrity's Millennium has an itinerary and time frame that WE really like. We have also sailed with Princess and Royal Caribbean to Alaska and both offer a good product. All cruise lines have their upside and downside --- what might be OK to me might not be to you.

A good starting point would be to ask yourself what is the most important aspect of your cruise and go from there --- for some it's the food, others itinerary, others entertainment and on board activities.