All Things Vantage

FuelScience

According to the Vantage Roll Call thread, several CCers completed Vantage cruises in the last quarter of the year. I would suggest that you consider posting reviews at the link below.

Lots of folks who visit CruiseCritic to compare cruise lines aren't even aware of the forums and only look on the general and member reviews. There are currently only 13 member reviews for Vantage cruises, and it would be nice to have a few more to help people assess Vantage--especially since they don't work with travel agents.

FuelScience

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/vantage-cruises/cl/

Posted review on River Splendor last night, but it is not showing up yet. I think CC must review the reviews before they are posted.

Posted review on River Splendor last night, but it is not showing up yet. I think CC must review the reviews before they are posted.

I think that's true because it was several days before my review of Gateway to the Black Sea appeared. Patience grasshopper! :D

• 1 month later...

Has anyone taken the Vantage tour of the Rijksmuseum? We'll be doing Vantage's Switzerland and the Heart of the Rhine and Moselle this summer, and we're wondering if we should plan to do the Rijksmuseum on our own before the cruise line tour. We'll get to Amsterdam a couple of days early so we'll have time.

So for anyone who's done the tour, how long do you have in the Museum? Is the entire experience guided, or do you have some time on your own? Did you wish you had more time in the Museum?

Thanks,

FuelScience

Has anyone taken the Vantage tour of the Rijksmuseum? We'll be doing Vantage's Switzerland and the Heart of the Rhine and Moselle this summer, and we're wondering if we should plan to do the Rijksmuseum on our own before the cruise line tour. We'll get to Amsterdam a couple of days early so we'll have time.

So for anyone who's done the tour, how long do you have in the Museum? Is the entire experience guided, or do you have some time on your own? Did you wish you had more time in the Museum?

Thanks,

FuelScience

We did the Vantage Rijksmuseum tour about two years ago, and it might have changed since.

The group went to the Rijksmuseum AND to a diamond "factory" within walking distance. The diamond experience involved a lot of people crowded into a small room, peering at diamond cutters behind their glass screens. Then we went through a maze of hallways and rooms where lots of diamond jewelry was displayed for sale. Hubby and I pushed past this and landed in a little gift shop (not diamonds:) where we had a cold drink and waited for the rest of the group.

The Rijksmuseum tour had our individual headsets and we went, as a group, from one painting to another, led by a very knowledgeable guide. They were magnificent, no doubt about it, but we saw and heard about only specific paintings.

We were probably in the Rijksmuseum 1-1.5 hours total.

If I were to do it again, I'd take the tour if it was included at no extra cost (use their transportation) but tour the Rijksmuseum on my own, making sure I knew when and where to meet the group at the end.

Thanks,

FuelScience

Hi FS: We did this tour with Vantage in 2010, at which time I toured the Van Gogh and he did the Rijks, so I asked him your questions:

He spent about 2 hours in the museum with a local tour guide using the whisper headsets. The museum was very crowded but he was able to see and hear everything. He would have liked more time in the museum, but since we'll be going back this summer when we do Switzerland, Rhine & Moselle, we'll both be going to the Rijks. Now, when are YOU going? We leave NY on 8/27....could we be on the same trip?

Thanks cp556 and Hydrokitty!!

Your information will help us and the couples with whom we're traveling make an informed decision regarding our museum time.

Hydrokitty, we'll be on the cruise one month before yours (board the ship on July 31). I hope to post from the cruise, and I should have some sort of review done before you leave. It'll be our first Vantage cruise after three Viking cruises, so it should be an interesting comparison.

FuelScience

Your information will help us and the couples with whom we're traveling make an informed decision regarding our museum time.

Hydrokitty, we'll be on the cruise one month before yours (board the ship on July 31). I hope to post from the cruise, and I should have some sort of review done before you leave. It'll be our first Vantage cruise after three Viking cruises, so it should be an interesting comparison.

FuelScience

I know you're going to be pleased with Vantage...and I look forward to your review. This will be our 7th Vantage cruise...too bad our dates don't coincide.

FuelScience

Have a great cruise...

• 3 weeks later...

First, thanks to FuelScience for guiding me to this thread.

Just a quick question. My folks are on the Treasures of France tour, leaving April 3rd. They were notified yesterday that the excursion to Versailles scheduled for day 3 (which happens to be Easter Sunday) had been canceled. No explanation, and customer service was of no help. I'm curious - does this sort of thing happen regularly with Vantage, was this a one-time fluke, do you think Easter and the anticipated crowds had anything to do with it, etc.

Customer service could only tell my mom that "one of their vendors let them down" My parents are deeply disappointed. They have 5 cruises with Grand Circle and never had any issues. I'm hoping this is just a fluke...but would appreciate any insights from you experienced Vantage cruisers!

Just a quick question. My folks are on the Treasures of France tour, leaving April 3rd. They were notified yesterday that the excursion to Versailles scheduled for day 3 (which happens to be Easter Sunday) had been canceled. No explanation, and customer service was of no help. I'm curious - does this sort of thing happen regularly with Vantage, was this a one-time fluke, do you think Easter and the anticipated crowds had anything to do with it, etc.

Customer service could only tell my mom that "one of their vendors let them down" My parents are deeply disappointed. They have 5 cruises with Grand Circle and never had any issues. I'm hoping this is just a fluke...but would appreciate any insights from you experienced Vantage cruisers!

Have they considered arranging a private excursion on their own? I wouldn't let this cancellation keep me from visiting Versailles if that was on my wish list!

Cole

Thanks, Cole. Mom said she did ask if they could do the tour on their own and was told "no". I wouldn't want them to attempt to get there on their own, but looking into a private tour that would be able to get them there and back is not a bad idea - I will suggest that to them, thank you!

I'm so sorry your parents are disappointed, but I'm glad that Vantage advised them early of the cancellation instead of their finding out when they were already on the rivership.

I agree with the poster who suggested their booking a private tour. Best get on it immediately since you are so close to sailing date. Be sure that the guide gets advance tickets because otherwise they will be in a very long line.

One bit of advice: We toured Versailles with Vantage last October and it was incredibly, incredibly crowded. I defined it like a New York City subway at rush hour, but with shuffling feet. Short people like me couldn't see much and it was not a good experience.

I would hope that your parents would not experience that sort of crowding, but Easter Sunday might be a popular day for Versailles visits.

....and I completely agree that Easter Sunday is likely to be very crowded, so I'm almost not TOO sad that it was canceled. Also agree that it's better to find out now, when there's a chance to make alternative arrangements.

I'm not even telling them that Vantage advertises stops in Honfleur but rarely docks there (is that still the case?). They're definitely "go with the flow" travelers, so this cancellation isn't going to ruin their trip, and they're very excited about everything else. I think I'm more disappointed than they are - I really wanted them to see it!

Thanks again for all the excellent suggestions. Very helpful.

....and I completely agree that Easter Sunday is likely to be very crowded, so I'm almost not TOO sad that it was canceled. Also agree that it's better to find out now, when there's a chance to make alternative arrangements.

I'm not even telling them that Vantage advertises stops in Honfleur but rarely docks there (is that still the case?). They're definitely "go with the flow" travelers, so this cancellation isn't going to ruin their trip, and they're very excited about everything else. I think I'm more disappointed than they are - I really wanted them to see it!

Thanks again for all the excellent suggestions. Very helpful.

I can speak only about our October cruise:

We docked in LeHavre, not Honfleur, and that seemed like their normal plan. The good thing is that there is a nice shopping mall 1.5 blocks from the rivership in LeHavre. Several nice clothing shops with affordable tres-French fashions:) The supermarket there has things like French Chocolates at cheap cheap prices (compared to most specialty shops).

There were bus transfers to Honfleur, which we took advantage of. Lovely, lovely picturesque village with many shops and cafes. It would have been nice to dock there.

We chose a private guide for the Beaches of Normandy (my husband is former Military and had a special mission to accomplish at the Musee Airborne in Ste-Mare-Eglise). But we ran into the Vantage Group at the American Cemetery.

I also brought two small pill bottles into which I scooped sand from Omaha and Utah Beaches. I believe Vantage's group tour goes to Omaha Beach.

Overall it was really a delightful trip. Thanks for allowing me to reminisce.

I have traveled with Vantage 6 times and only time an optional excursion was canceled was when my DH and one other man had signed up for it...and they gave us a free excursion in its place. It could very well be that Versailles is closed Easter Sunday. France is primarily Roman Catholic and Easter Sunday tends to be a bigger deal than here. Also possible that there was a problem with the bus company and due to the holiday they were unable to get a replacement. I would look at Versailles web page to confirm that they are having tours that day and then do as pp suggested and look for a private tour or arrange one on your own. If you google Versailles tours, you should come up with many options....you will also find many suggested and recommended guides on cruise critic. Should you not go to Versailles, might I suggest the Tuilleries for a beautiful family park, with exquisite statue gardens, views of the Eiffel Tower and France's answer to the London Eye! There's also the Monet Museum, which is fabulous but might not be open on Easter Sunday. Also plenty of vendors selling food. It's one of my favorite places in Paris, I guess you figured that out already.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thank you so much, everyone! Great suggestions. I will suggest to my mom that she look into a private excursion, but if that doesn't work out, there are certainly other things they could do.

I've only been to Paris once, and that was 8 years ago. I'd love to go back, but I will be enjoying their trip vicariously.

• 2 weeks later...

For Vantage cruisers from 2015. Has anyone taken a Vantage cruise this year since they started offering free wine with dinner? If so, do they still charge a corkage fee if you bring wine onboard. I know that they still charged in 2014, but wondering if they've dropped it since offering free wine at dinner.

FuelScience

For Vantage cruisers from 2015. Has anyone taken a Vantage cruise this year since they started offering free wine with dinner? If so, do they still charge a corkage fee if you bring wine onboard. I know that they still charged in 2014, but wondering if they've dropped it since offering free wine at dinner.

FuelScience

I'll let you know Sept. 12....but I doubt if they'll ever drop the corkage fee because if you bring your own bottle on the ship they don't make anything. At least with the free wine at dinner they probably make a little from the winemaker.

I'll let you know Sept. 12....but I doubt if they'll ever drop the corkage fee because if you bring your own bottle on the ship they don't make anything. At least with the free wine at dinner they probably make a little from the winemaker.

We have our first Vantage cruise coming up next month and have sailed on Uniworld and Avalon previously. Have never been charged a corkage fee for bringing on our wine, particularly after having excursions to wineries, etc. What does Vantage charge? Disappointed to hear that considering the price we pay for river cruises! Oh well. No more Vantage. :(

Cole

If they cellar "better" wines for sale, they have more motivation for corkage . . .

That's the situation with my favored line which has had wine with dinner for years.

The number of member reviews of Vantage cruises has suddenly jumped from 12-13 to 26. Most of the new reviews are from last fall, but at least one is from spring 2015.

FuelScience

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/vantage-cruises/cl/

Very weird, I posted a review on the River Splendor in January and it has yet to appear.