Help, Stolen Passport!

Laurie S.

I lost - actually it fell in the room and we didn't find it till later - my wallet. Talked to the hotel and they suggested Walmart. Had hubby take cash to our local Walmart and had them send ("wire") me the money. We had to set up something to say as I had no identification on me. After he did that he called and gave me the ID numbers needed. Had the money within 30 minutes of my calling him to begin with. the cost depends on the amount you send,

THEN, while getting ready for a quick dip in the pool the wallet was found so I ended up with more cash on hand than I really cared for but at least did have cash.

I don't think there is one there yet, but I'll have to ask him. It would be in Guaymas, which is only 10 miles away. How do you send money that way?

Look up to see if there's a Western Union near him, then see where you can go near you to send money. Just see what the requirements are for him to retrieve the cash, as he will likely need some form if id that he may not have at the moment. Good luck.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/lost-stolen.html

Here's the State Dept. page detailing what others have said here.

Best of luck to you! I think you'll get it all worked out in time for the cruise!

Congratulations to you both and boo to the robbers!

Edited by mdmomof7

My brother is a Expat living in Japan and his passport got stolen on a business trip in China. He went to the US Embassy and was able to get an emergency passport in 3 days there. That passport was good for 6 months...

Just an FYI if you aren't aware; you might want to check with the cruise line if you are given a 6 month passport as above. Some require that passports be good for 6 months beyond the dates of your cruise. In that case, you may have to go the replacement DL plus birth certificate route for your cruise. An emergency passport would get your fiance back into the US, at least.

Hope it all works out for both of you!

Edited by Ryndam2002

First of all, this would do you absolutely NO GOOD if your passport were lost or stolen. In that instance, you have to appear in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (if the passport is lost or stolen overseas) or at a Passport Application Acceptance Facility (if the passport is lost or stolen in the U.S.) If you are in the U.S. and your passport is lost or stolen within 2 weeks of your travel, you can make an appointment at a Passport Office and get your passport replaced in one day.

All of this information is one the Department of State website, so it's not difficult to find.

Second of all, I don't know why anyone would use a 3rd party to get an expedited passport. (I can only assume that Carnival is getting their "cut" from this company.) Anyone can request an expedited passport for an additional fee of $60. Everything you need to know about expedited passports is on the Department of State website. Also, the DOS website includes the following statement: "Customers utilizing courier companies who may call themselves "passport expeditors" do not receive their passport any faster than those applying directly at a passport agency."

It seems clear that Laurie has done her homework and has informed her fiance that he needs to go to the U.S. Consulate in Hermosillo. With proper documentation, he should be able to get his replacement passport the same day.

Signed,

Spouse of Former Department of State Consular Officer

I believe that getting a replacement though requires identification in addition to a birth certificate, and the OP stated that her friend does not have that.

Edited by winddawn

Just an FYI if you aren't aware; you might want to check with the cruise line if you are given a 6 month passport as above. Some require that passports be good for 6 months beyond the dates of your cruise. In that case, you may have to go the replacement DL plus birth certificate route for your cruise. An emergency passport would get your fiance back into the US, at least.

Hope it all works out for both of you!

I may be mistaken but the Legend is repo-ing to Australia on August 30, so DL and birth certificate would not work.

I'm sorry to hear about the break in and your fiance's stuff being stolen, Laurie. What horrible luck, and right before your trip! :(

It sounds like you've done your research and have a a good plan in place to get his passport, etc. replaced in time.

I just wanted to wish you luck and hope that you both have a wonderful cruise. You certainly deserve it after having to deal with this mess!

I'm amazed at all the responses that are irrelevant.

If you live in Mexico, and are a US citizen, and you look like you are Mexican, than you try to cross the boarder you would not be permitted without a passport. So, passport is stolen, all the advice needed is get to the closest embassy, and get a temporary passport.

Everything else is meaningless.

Poster said that the guy has $0.76. That's 3 quarters to his name. How is he going to go 95 miles to get a new passport? What does it mean to call in "markers"? How does he support himself when all his money is in a backpack? There are so many strange items in this post that it baffles me.

So the poster drives to Mexico, brings credit cards and cash, meats boyfriend at embassy, and within a day or two, will have all the ID, and scuba equipment necessary to drive back.

I thought it was pretty clear. He doesn't have a bank account in Mexico, like many expats don't. Most gringos use their debit card at the ATM to get money from their US accounts. His debit card was stolen along with his wallet. So, the only cash he has is what was in his pocket when he walked down to the convenience store. He was planning to go buy two batteries for his truck yesterday, so he had a large amount of cash in the backpack, most of which usually is hidden at my house.

He is a retired research psychologist who has lived in San Carlos for more than 10 years supporting himself on his pension and income as a scuba instructor. We're not talking big bucks here.

He helps many people in San Carlos by loaning them money when they come to him for help. He's a good person with a big heart. Only a few have ever paid him back. Those are the markers he's going to call in to get some cash. I'll be wiring him money later today once he has it set up at the bank down there. And, he does have photocopies of all his ids, including his passport, so that will help him.

I may be mistaken but the Legend is repo-ing to Australia on August 30, so DL and birth certificate would not work.

My mistake! I was looking at the wrong itinerary, and thought they were doing a Caribbean sailing. Makes sense that it is a longer voyage since the OP stated that it cost $10K.

I found this on Carnival's website. They recommend, not require like some carriers, that passports be good for 6 months after sailing dates. Hope this helps:

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact VisaCentral at http://www.visacentral.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees

Check online on your state's dept of driver services. I know here (and yes I know every state is different) you can order a replacement dl online by inputting some of your information.

My son lost his wallet less than 6 months after getting his license. We were able to order him a new one online by me verifying some info and putting in other info that is not common knowledge. He did finde his wallet about 2 days after the new one arrived (took less than 2 weeks) so I now have a copy tucked in my wallet for emergencies.

Check online on your state's dept of driver services. I know here (and yes I know every state is different) you can order a replacement dl online by inputting some of your information.

My son lost his wallet less than 6 months after getting his license. We were able to order him a new one online by me verifying some info and putting in other info that is not common knowledge. He did finde his wallet about 2 days after the new one arrived (took less than 2 weeks) so I now have a copy tucked in my wallet for emergencies.

If the fiancé has a California DL, the replacement paperwork must be done at a DMV office. Can't even go to AAA for this. Then it takes several weeks for it to arrive in the mail.

Yes, I checked that online. But, we'll have the afternoon after we check in at the Queen Mary. There's a DMV in Long Beach just a couple miles from there, so we'll get a taxi and run down there to start the process of him getting a new license.

Yes, I checked that online. But, we'll have the afternoon after we check in at the Queen Mary. There's a DMV in Long Beach just a couple miles from there, so we'll get a taxi and run down there to start the process of him getting a new license.

Make an appointment!

While it can't be helped, I'm sorry you will have such a stressful start to your trip. Glad to hear you got the wiring money situation figured out and that you'll be able to help him get a new passport when you get down there. I hope the rest of your voyage is beautiful and stress free !

Laurie I am so glad...and again sorry I got this off to wrong start with all the fears and press out there, I allowed myself to fall victim. You and your soon to be husband obviously navigate this part of world well. Many expats are many places in this world for retirement purposes and quite happy. I keep reading about Panama..

Glad you got some clearer "help" with more "wisdom" and hope this thread stays there now..and so glad one by one you are knocking down the struggles before a wonderful wedding and honeymoon..Bon voyage, Sarah

Thank you! I heard from him today and he was able to get $100 from people who he had loaned money to in the past, so he can buy food and his medications. He's hanging in there.

Please keep us updated.

Please follow the suggestion to get online and get an appointment with the California DMV. You will wait several hours to get help if you don't have an appointment. Where I live appointments are about 2 weeks out. If no appointments available online, Call the 800# and explain why you need this appointment and time.

Good luck, sending positive thoughts. :)

You couldn't pay me enough money to even GO to Mexico. I will not set foot in that country or give them $1.00 of my money. If I should go on a cruise that includes a Mexican port (which I will try to avoid), I will not leave the ship.

Seriously??:confused:

We LOVE Mexico -- have been 8 or 10 times, on land, by air, and via cruise ship. We have always been treated very well, met lovely and helpful people and have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Thanks, I'll do that. We may just wait until October when we go up to Mendocino, where he's from, for abalone season. He can get by in San Carlos with the photocopy of his driver's license, and I usually do the driving up to Mendocino anyway. I'm not sure either of us wants to start a dream vacation by sitting in a crowded DMV office.