bringing wine on bard

k9golden

Am trying to figure out Cunard's policy regarding wine purchased in ports of call. It said "no restrictions..." Does that actually mean that we can purchase wine in the various towns that we visit and bring it "openly" back on board without them holding it until we disembark. I've sailed other cruise lines and their policy was to hold any purchases until we disembarked. I want to be able to drink it on my balcony on board!! :)

This comes under the "don't ask, don't tell rule". When you come back on to the ship, put your bag on the X-ray belt. The worst that can happen is that they will hold it for you, but on the Cunard cruises I've been on, security didn't say anything and I went on my merry way.

The above said, don't bring several bottles at the same time. I only carried one on at a time, but if I were to bring 2 or 3, I would wrap them so they don't "ding" when placed on the X-ray belt.

Most of all, don't forget to bring a wine opener in your luggage.

Often when I quote the Cunard website, I am told that the website is incorrect - which it too often is. But this is a quote in answer to the question

Can I bring alcohol on board to consume in my cabin or in restaurants?

Passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine OR champagne per person (over the age of 21) on board, however all passengers should be aware of the below policies -

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway should the need arise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

If you are travelling on a fly cruise we recommend that all liquids are packed in your hold luggage to comply with airport and airline restrictions.

Should you wish to take wine or Champagne on board to consume in a restaurant, each bottle will be subject to a US$20.00 corkage charge. This fee is subject to change.-quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/alcohol

I've only seen a passengers alcohol purchases held until departure once after visiting a port. So based on my observation, it does happen, albeit infrequently.

"No restrictions"? I haven't seen that...has there been a change in policy? Or perhaps it varies by embarkation port? Please, where can I print out a statement from Cunard that there are no restrictions? Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

This comes under the "don't ask, don't tell rule". When you come back on to the ship, put your bag on the X-ray belt. The worst that can happen is that they will hold it for you, but on the Cunard cruises I've been on, security didn't say anything and I went on my merry way.

K.

True. Security are not checking for booze but bombs.

David.

The above said, don't bring several bottles at the same time. I only carried one on at a time, but if I were to bring 2 or 3, I would wrap them so they don't "ding" when placed on the X-ray belt.

Most of all, don't forget to bring a wine opener in your luggage.

Thanks so much for this info - especially the reminder about a wine opener!!

I feel alot more relaxed about bringing wine on board now. It's nice to know that Cunard is sensible and realistic about this.

None of those precautions (aside from the wine opener) are really necessary, unless you have to feel as though you're smuggling.

Good to know that Cunard is sensible about this. So I don't need to smuggle, with my heart pounding, as I go through security!! :)

On our 1st crossing, I carried 2 bottles of champagne and a bottle of Irish whiskey in my rucksack, nothing was said. On a return crossing in 2012, we had picked up a case of mixed champagnes in France. We taped it closed, put a baggage label on it, and approached baggage handling. The porter suggested we carry the wines ourselves (probably didn't want the liability). We proceeded to check in, where everybody promptly said nothing about our wines.

As has been previously implied, one would have to carry a significant amount in order to get a second look, IMHO.

Enjoy your sailing and your libation.

Have a wonderful, relaxing voyage, k9golden!

Adding my reassurance: have witnesses a good number of beverages brought onboard Cunard ships--- in different ports on different voyages-- and never seen any Cunard staff make an issue because of it.

Enjoy your balcony!

Jimmybean

The website I found, that lists all the cruise lines and their various policies regarding, wine, beer and spirits is:

***************/bonvoyage/before-you-cruise/what-to-know/may-i-bring-alcohol-on-my-cruise-ship

This is good enough for me - and all the other cruisers who have more experience with this, who answered with their advice!

We are going on QM2 from Southampton to New York and have been wondering if we can take a bottle of gin on board as well as a bottle of wine and champagne.

After reading the comments above should we pack in our suitcases or carry on board with us and take our chances of them being taken of us?

Sorry for basic questions but we are newbie cruisers!

Thanks

timslouise (Wendy)

We are going on QM2 from Southampton to New York and have been wondering if we can take a bottle of gin on board as well as a bottle of wine and champagne.

After reading the comments above should we pack in our suitcases or carry on board with us and take our chances of them being taken of us?

Sorry for basic questions but we are newbie cruisers!

Thanks

timslouise (Wendy)

Carry it on, no problem!

At the risk of appearing to be serious wino...we've had a lot of experience in bringing wine and vermouth on board Cunard. We generally adhere to the one bottle per passenger per port restriction, placing the bottles in our carry-on bags. But there were a couple of times we exceeded that amount and were never stopped (unlike Celebrity where we had a major problem). We even had the good fortune of a wine steward forgetting (looking the other way? we had established a friendly relationship with him) to charge us the $20 corkage fee in Britannia. And don't forget the corkscrew.

Your mileage may vary - we've always paid the corkage. Maybe I should be more friendly to the wine steward!

I'll have enough onboard credit at Christmas that I may only carry on a few bottles of Champagne and make more use of the wine list.

• 2 weeks later...

"Bring your own. We brought 3 cases of our favorites"

"I have a wheeled collapsible cooler that holds about 8 bottles and just fits in one of the scanners in the Brooklyn terminal."

3 times 12 = 36. 36/8 = 4.5 trips.

Call me lazy, but that is too much work at the start of a vacation...