Iguazu Falls

joybook

After arriving in Rio in January we are looking at going to the Falls and using RIPIOTURISMO for an accommodation/tour package of the Falls. Just wondering if anyone out there has used these people and how did you find them. We have our flights organised so it is just the accommodation and tour of the Falls that we are concerned about. Are they reliable and all above board? Thanks. I may also put this on the Princess board. :)

Don't know the company.

Do know that no tour company is necessary. Good public bus transportation to the park from the airport and/or town, and across the border to the other side. Taxis also easily found, and can take you across the border as well.

The area (towns and to/from) is safe as far as crime goes, and the park is a natural area with decently maintained trails, and the worst that happened to me was a coati mundi tried to steal my popscicle and a ranger yelled at me for feeding it.

On the Brazil side, you are walking a single paved path; On the Argentine side, bridges over the falls and marked trails. Guide adds nothing.

I suppose you could call the folks who run the boat trips under Devil's Throat (Macuco Safari on the Brazil side, ?? on the Argentina side) a "tour" company, though.

Plenty of accomodations in Foz do Iguacu in all price ranges (state yours for some suggestions here), and in a Puerto Iguazu as well.

This trip is do easy to plan, esp. if you already have your flights.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Don't know the company.

Do know that no tour company is necessary. Good public bus transportation to the park from the airport and/or town, and across the border to the other side. Taxis also easily found, and can take you across the border as well.

The area (towns and to/from) is safe as far as crime goes, and the park is a natural area with decently maintained trails, and the worst that happened to me was a coati mundi tried to steal my popscicle and a ranger yelled at me for feeding it.

On the Brazil side, you are walking a single paved path; On the Argentine side, bridges over the falls and marked trails. Guide adds nothing.

I suppose you could call the folks who run the boat trips under Devil's Throat (Macuco Safari on the Brazil side, ?? on the Argentina side) a "tour" company, though.

Plenty of accomodations in Foz do Iguacu in all price ranges (state yours for some suggestions here), and in a Puerto Iguazu as well.

This trip is do easy to plan, esp. if you already have your flights.

Ola,

ThanK you for this information, as we are planning to go to the Falls on our own. We are only able to stay one night, so will be arriving on the earliest morning flight. We plan to drop our suitcase at the hotel and proceed to the Brasil side first- (we already have visas),saving the Argentina side for early morning on the 2nd day--and proceeding to the airport in the afternoon. Based on your knowledge, is this a reasonable plan?

Obrigada,

Judy

Ola,

ThanK you for this information, as we are planning to go to the Falls on our own. We are only able to stay one night, so will be arriving on the earliest morning flight. We plan to drop our suitcase at the hotel and proceed to the Brasil side first- (we already have visas),saving the Argentina side for early morning on the 2nd day--and proceeding to the airport in the afternoon. Based on your knowledge, is this a reasonable plan?

Obrigada,

Judy

The "we already have visas" part and the "proceed to the Brazil side" threw me off. Are you arriving from Rio, as poster 'joy book' mentions, or from Buenos Aires?

The airport (this info applies to both sides) is between the town and the park. The park entrance has lockers for luggage. The airport in Brazil (IGU), as all Brazilian airports, has luggage storage. (never been to Argentine side airport, so can't comment)

So, to save time, if arriving from Rio, I'd suggest not going all the way into town (if that's where hotel is located) just to drop off luggage. Take it along and go to the hotel afterwards.

After you see the Brazilian side (about 3 hours or so), consider seeing the bird Park very near the entrance. The best part IMO was the huge cage/house that you can enter to see the colorful macaws and parrots up close.

The "we already have visas" part and the "proceed to the Brazil side" threw me off. Are you arriving from Rio, as poster 'joy book' mentions, or from Buenos Aires?

The airport (this info applies to both sides) is between the town and the park. The park entrance has lockers for luggage. The airport in Brazil (IGU), as all Brazilian airports, has luggage storage. (never been to Argentine side airport, so can't comment)

So, to save time, if arriving from Rio, I'd suggest not going all the way into town (if that's where hotel is located) just to drop off luggage. Take it along and go to the hotel afterwards.

After you see the Brazilian side (about 3 hours or so), consider seeing the bird Park very near the entrance. The best part IMO was the huge cage/house that you can enter to see the colorful macaws and parrots up close.

Do you know approximately how long it takes to see the falls on the Argentina side? We thought we would start at 8 a.m. when the park opens (on the 2nd day) and we don't fly back to BA until 4:45 p.m. (Will probably need to be at the airport an hour before that.)

Hi again,

We are arriving from Buenos Aires and already have a hotel reservation, so we figured we could drop our luggage first. I'm glad to know the Brazilian side takes about 3 hours, so that should leave us time for the Bird Park, as well. I have 2 birds, myself, so will love to see the birds in the park.

Do you know approximately how long it takes to see the falls on the Argentina side? We thought we would start at 8 a.m. when the park opens (on the 2nd day) and we don't fly back to BA until 4:45 p.m. (Will probably need to be at the airport an hour before that.)

Hi again,

We are arriving from Buenos Aires and already have a hotel reservation, so we figured we could drop our luggage first. I'm glad to know the Brazilian side takes about 3 hours, so that should leave us time for the Bird Park, as well. I have 2 birds, myself, so will love to see the birds in the park.

The Argentina side has three distinct circuits or trails---upper falls, lower falls and Devil's throat. In addition, there are two options for boat rides--one to an island (free), and the other a zodiac style fast boat that takes you under the falls (not to be missed in my opinion, and, yes, you will get wet. Take a change of clothes). If you choose to do all three circuits and the boat ride, it is an all day adventure if you stop to enjoy vista points along the way. Allow at least twice the three hours suggested for the Brazilian side. Also, build in time for lunch in the park.

Here is a link to the boat concession:

http://www.iguazujungle.com/

Edited by dr__dawggy