Bugs!

sgutt86

Just off the Coral Princess this morning. I brought a spray bottle of repellent, but I didn't end up using it at all. We did a rainforest hike at one port and a sled dog tour (on a forested mountain) at another. I thought we would need it, but never did. Even so, I would recommend bringing it, especially if you are doing a land tour.

Bring a deet based bug spray to be safe, but hopefully you won't need it. I say deet because although DH and I can't stand it, it's the only thing that seems to work here. I recommend full Off, not any of the Off sprays that contain less deet. Last year, our mosquito problem in Anchorage was horrible, and insect repellant was selling out everywhere. This year, it hasn't been bad at all. You could very well encounter more mosquitoes in the interior. We have never seen mosquitoes on any of our Alaska cruises while at sea or in port, though we haven't hiked in any of the ports.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just back yesterday from a 20 day cruise/land tour. The Worst spot was in Healy/Glitter Gulch at end of the Canyon Run White Water Rafting trip at the pull out site and some around shops in the Gulch area. I also saw some on the Fly/Drive trip to/from Arctic Circle coming down the Dalton Highway. The Park around Rika's Roadhouse near Delta Junction and around Matanuska Glacier area but these were minimal compared to the rafting site. I used 100% Deet and didn't have any issues with bites.

In Southeast during cruise - only encountered a few on the west trail near the Mendenhall Glacier.